Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:11AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:42AM

This is a great video. I appreciate that the creator of the video talked with experts in Egyptology to find the truth. It sickens me that Kerry is perpetuating a lie, he needs to return his PhD, he doesn't deserve it.

Date: August 01, 2015 11:30AM

It's honestly amazing how easily Kerry lied about this. He's an expert.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 11:36AM

whiteandelightsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's honestly amazing how easily Kerry lied about
> this. He's an expert.

^Apparently he's only an expert liar.

Posted by: bfp ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 12:54PM

This is why I am embarrassed at time to have a YBU degree. TBM/YBU prof's just need to keep their mouth shut and stop trying to defend nonsense because it does nothing but reduce the credibility of the institution.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:10PM

It should be noted that Kerry left the church last year and has appeared on this board since then.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,894737

Give the guy a break.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:11PM

Kerry Shirts is not the same person as Kerry Muhlestein.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:39PM

hangar18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kerry Shirts is not the same person as Kerry
> Muhlestein.

When they were both still MORmON apologists, the difference was a mere MORmON (meaningless) distinction. Since Kerry Shirts has disavowed his belief in MORmONISM, the difference is more meaningful.

Since Kerry has left his MORmON apologist videos up on the internet, I hope that it is OK that I left up the videos that made fun of what he was saying back then as a MORmON !

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:17PM

Date: August 01, 2015 01:41PM

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 03:44PM

Wow, that female Egyptologist eviscerated him. That was awesome!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:14PM

In that case, it's good they had some jars around.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:24PM

DH took a class in ancient Egyptian religions from Dr. Cooney at Stanford the year before she went to UCLA. (The ringtone on her cell phone played Raiders of the Lost Ark.) What he learned about the Egyptian religion cemented his already strong testimony that Joseph Smith just made it up, and that the BofA has absolutely nothing to do with Egyptian anything.

It seems to me there was talk a while back about the church de-emphasizing the BofA and that it would perhaps would eventually de-canonize it. Any signs this is happening?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:19PM

It's already been deemphasized through correlation, which matters far more in today's church than canonization. Kolob is for all practical purposes a forbidden topic. Someone did a study and found the only verses that are ever quoted in conference are Abraham 3:23-25.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:47PM

well, WHY is it that stuff that sounded so good in MORmON PriestDUD meeting and or at BYU MORmON education weAk sounds so damn stupid in more conventional (NON MORmON /normal) settings ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVqr0SgKTck

Great Work by Flackerman !!! Wish there were even more just like this!!!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 08:30PM

My fave part of mule spleen's claims is "three hits IN A ROW."

Out of all the stuff that is in the BOA they can find three that
kinda fit something and all the other stuff is a total miss.
But those three are "IN A ROW."

Date: August 01, 2015 08:40PM

The thing is that they're not even hits. For some reason apologists think that the four quarters of the earth and the four cardinal directions are the exact same thing.

Date: August 01, 2015 10:30PM

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:24PM

Yeah, I just don't understand how someone who looks and sounds so very sincere can stand there and very sincerely flat-out lie. It is inconceivable to me that he doesn't know that what he is saying is untrue. There is so much evidence to show the truth. And so many of his colleagues who correct him, so often.

I've met a few other people who were revered by many, myself included, for their courageous stands on certain issues --- except that I happened to be in a position to find out what the facts of the situation were. And I discovered that those "heroes" were lying their heads off, entirely for their own personal gain.

I gave them the information that proved that their contentions were false. And they agreed with me that I had proven that their statements were false. And then they ignored it and and went out in front of audiences and went right on in their deception, because they could get donations from their audiences for saying what the audiences wanted to hear.

That was when I learned several things. I earned how terribly naive I had been for many years. I learned that people who seemed to me to be totally trustworthy could be manipulating me and others for their own profit. And I learned that my own personal world contained some truly evil people. There may not be a devil, but there certainly is evil.

Date: August 01, 2015 10:41PM

I know it's amazing! Usually apologists twist the facts in some way but he actually told straight up lies with a completely straight face. It's a real talent.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:31AM

In Mormonism its a waste of time to consider anything that the Apologists have to say because the fundamental foundation of Mormonism is the concept of "living prophets" and they clearly don't stand on this foundation. The only defenses of Mormonism to ever really study/analyze are those from the FP/12.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/approaching-mormon-doctrine

".... With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications ...."

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:47AM

Suppose some Apologist comes up with some theory that sounds like a plausible honest defense for the Church to use against their critics. I'd certainly expect that if such an honest defense had any merit that it would get the endorsement of the FP/12 just as so many other things have gotten the endorsement of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, or the FP/12 in the past. If it hasn't gotten such an endorsement then it's not worth my time investigating. I did not grow up singing the song "We Thank Thee O God for the Apologists".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.