Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:19AM

And yet in the BofA, so-called Mormon scriptures that are held up to the world as holy, contain pictures of Anubis and Osiris.

I just watched the new Exodus movie, and there were hieroglyphics of Anubis everywhere.

How can the Mormon cult continue to embarrass themselves by having images of false gods, and then calling it holy Scriptures?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:52AM

Just a FYI:

The Jewish prohibition against false idols/gods in those times applied far more to males than it did to females. In fact, and in daily life, there was a sort of "cover your ass" agreement that Jewish women could keep the pagan idols/gods appeased, while the males did the IMPORTANT thing of keeping worship of the One God (even though "He" was frequently and regularly referred to in the plural!!!) happy and content.

Among Jews, the popular false idols/gods were called "kitchen gods," because they were kept (and "hidden") in the part of the (usually one-room) huts or houses or underground apartments where the food was prepared. Women kept their worship of them on the down-low...and the men knew that---in the event that THEIR worship of the One God was insufficient---the women of their families would have taken care that all of the bases were covered.

If the "kitchen gods" were discovered, the males could play totally innocent to any authority figures that might be upset: "Oh, gee golly whillickers!!!...I had NO IDEA that my wife and daughters had this stuck away among the sacks and dishes!!!"

In the meantime, the Jewish people as a whole were covered, just in case.

Not only is this totally human...it was also the first [ancient history] version of a house and family insurance policy that I am aware of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 11:54AM by tevai.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:56AM

Interesting. I had read that there were strains of polytheism in ancient Judaism, which came as a surprise to me.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 06:30AM

What I find fascinating is the idol, leader worship in the cult. Many buildings on BYU campuses are named for leaders of the cult. The demand to follow them, not speak evil of them via the temple covenant, and the temple recommend questions are just a few of their practices in idol worship. Add in that they are never wrong, refuse to apologize, are always right, and won't answer any questions puts them on such a pedestal that reeks of megalomania and idolatry. What say you?

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 06:40AM

Add in that they are against installing crosses in the chapel or any pictures of Christ, and that they rarely talk about Calvary since they believe the Atonement took place in Gethsemane, and they don't allow members to wear crosses or have crosses in their home, it is just more evidence that they don't know the Bible, don't practice the commandments and don't believe in God.
They and their phony system of follow the prophets is evil. I am so happy this junk is out of my life.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:34AM

I think it's interesting that they make a big deal out of telling folks not to "speak evil of the lord's anointed" but have no such prohibition about speaking evil of the lord himself!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:57PM

Unbelievable Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Add in that they are against installing crosses in
> the chapel or any pictures of Christ...
> ...and they
> don't allow members to wear crosses or have
> crosses in their home, it is just more evidence
> that they don't know the Bible...

Gee, I wasn't aware that the bible said anything about having crosses in churches, wearing them, or having them in your home.

Maybe because it doesn't say any of those things. Anywhere.

Just pointing out that while there's a LOT to criticize the mormon church over, not having crosses probably isn't one of those things. Using crosses as some kind of "symbol" isn't "biblical" at all.

Date: August 03, 2015 11:33AM

Two things to keep in mind:

1. All people who believe in a "god" consider all other claimed "gods" to be "false gods;" yet none of them have any evidence theirs is real

2. In the times referred to by the early OT, the Hebrews weren't monotheistic. They believed all the claimed "gods" existed, even the ones other cultures worshiped...they just considered Yahweh THEIR god, and the BEST god, and a JEALOUS god -- so if you worshiped another one, he'd be pissed off.

Date: August 03, 2015 01:40PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Two things to keep in mind:
>
> 1. All people who believe in a "god" consider all
> other claimed "gods" to be "false gods;" yet none
> of them have any evidence theirs is real

I think this is often true, and most especially so in Western/European-descended cultures generally, but it isn't true of "all" people(s), and never has been. Historically (all the way back to the beginnings of our species, so far as we can tell), humans and human groups have often taken over the gods of another people (syncretism: the amalgamation of different religions or cultures), often as the result of warfare, or different tribes as a whole, or as individuals, melding with each other through intermarriage or slavery. The Romans taking over the Greek gods is the best known instance, but it happened many, many others times as well (think of Hinduism)...and there are all kinds of situations---up to and including right NOW, this very moment---where people maintain different gods sort of "in parallel" with each other in their lives: Native Americans spending Friday and Saturday 100% devoted to the religious activities of their tribal religions...and then going to Catholic Mass (or Protestant church service) on Sunday.

> 2. In the times referred to by the early OT, the
> Hebrews weren't monotheistic. They believed all
> the claimed "gods" existed, even the ones other
> cultures worshiped...they just considered Yahweh
> THEIR god, and the BEST god, and a JEALOUS god --
> so if you worshiped another one, he'd be pissed
> off.

Yup!!! Yup!!! Yup!!!

(And for a l-o-n-g time in ancient history, the new Jewish tribe, under its official, new, "One" god, wanted that back-up plan...just in case!! ;) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 01:43PM by tevai.

Date: August 03, 2015 01:46PM

tevai Wrote:
> I think this is often true, and most especially so
> in Western/European-descended cultures generally,
> but it isn't true of "all" people(s), and never
> has been. Historically (all the way back to the
> beginnings of our species, so far as we can tell),
> humans and human groups have often taken over the
> gods of another people (syncretism: the
> amalgamation of different religions or cultures)...

Point taken. It might be argued, though, that syncretism still contains the "their gods are the wrong ones" element, since most syncretism takes the gods of another culture and *adapts* them to the new culture, it rarely (if ever) involves simply accepting them wholesale. Like when the Romans renamed the Greek gods, gave them some new stories, etc. :)

> Yup!!! Yup!!! Yup!!!
>
> (And for a l-o-n-g time in ancient history, the
> new Jewish tribe, under its official, new, "One"
> god, wanted that back-up plan...just in case!! ;)
> )

I really enjoyed your "kitchen idols" post above. :)

Date: August 03, 2015 01:57PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> I really enjoyed your "kitchen idols" post above.
> :)

:D :D :D

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 05:38PM

The way I interpret the OT is that the Lord did all those plagues to free the Israelites from the Egytians, then provided mana, quails, water... for 40 years. It was a covenant relationship, and worshipping false gods brought severe consequences. Intermarrying with idol worshipping neighbouring nations caused idol worship to creep into the Isrealites, or Ephraim (Isrealites) and Jews.

The Bible even mentions those that haven't bowed to the false gods. They saw the hand of God, celebrated passover and then worshipped false gods.

The Mormon so-called holy Scriptures have pictures of Anubis and Osiris, Egytians false gods that God had just released them from a nation that worshipped them.

It is the ultimate hypocrisy, having pictures of Egytians false gods in Mormon so-called holy Scriptures.

The consequences of having anything to do with false gods, causes me to have nothing to do with a cult that has pictures of 2 false gods in their so-called holy scripures, as a bible believing exmo.

It is the ultimate hypocrisy.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 05:55PM

6 iron Wrote:

> The Mormon so-called holy Scriptures have pictures
> of Anubis and Osiris,

and Maat, and Isis, and Imsety, and Hapi, and Duamutef, and
Qebehsenuef, and Min, and . . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.