Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fritz ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 05:48AM

Just visited the home page of the Germany Frankfurt mission. So I learned (among other things) that 34% Catholics and 34% Protestants means that "about half of Germany’s population identifies itself as Christian". The climate is "tropical". As to meat, "chicken is pretty expensive so you don’t see that as much". Major cities are "Mainz, Frankfurt am Main, Heidelberg, Nürnberg, Dortmund, Düsseldorf and Köln". Antiperspirant deodorant and feminine products ”are hard to get or not available". And the German soccer team has "won the World Cup three times".

No chance, folks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 05:54AM by fritz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 05:56AM

Obviously those who maintain the site don't have a lot going on in their heads. Yeah, Frankfurt is tropical, f*cking just like Hawaii. "Chicken is pretty expensive so you don't see that as much??" WTF?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 06:52AM

The mind boggles as to what 'products' ladies in SLC have, that cant be easily obtained in Germany. Tootsie rolls and Pecan pies, perhaps?

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 08:10AM

It looks like they have consolidated the Düsseldorf Mission with Frankfurt since I was there in the late 70's. Hmmmmmm I wonder why???????

Date: July 29, 2015 08:21AM

And they consolidated Hamburg with Berlin and whatever used to exist in eastern Germany. Now I think all of the northern half is under the Berlin mission, but you'd have to ask someone else who posts here sometimes. My understanding is that Germany only has 2 missions now, plus the so-called "German-Speaking Alpine Mission" that covers all of Austria and German-speaking Switzerland and maybe extreme southern German. it may be headquartered in Munich.

The good news is that your work in German didn't account for much, and the church is closing up shop. Way to go! Now you don't have to feel guilty about not going to your mission farewell.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 09:13AM

There used to be a Lepzig mission as well, which covered the southeastern corner--mostly Saxony. I understand that that also got consolidated with Berlin several years ago.

I guess Germany is tropical--compared to Siberia...

Chicken isn't so much expensive as unpopular. Pork is the thing. If you get lucky you have "Schwein."

Mormonism is a tough sell in Germany. People I encountered were not particularly religious, and many people who are have quite a liberal view of it. My mission experience there did more to broaden my mind than narrow the minds of the people we tried to "teach."

Rolling forth like a stone cut out of the mountain without hands indeed...

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 08:33AM

As usual I agree with one who posted.

Those who maintain the site and wrote that stuff either have never been to Frankfurt or walk around with blinders, or with that superiority attitude many American mormons have.

And of course Germany has FOUR stars on the team's shirt.

Date: July 29, 2015 08:36AM

And tells us about the chickens. They got chickens, too, am I right?

And the mission's in Berlin, right?

Date: July 29, 2015 09:15AM

Yes, northern Germany is all under the Berlin Mission, which this month got as new MP the CES Director for the whole Europe Area (with offices in Frankfurt am Main) and Area Seventy.

A large part of western and southern Germany are part of the Frankfurt Mission. Bavaria, Austria, German speaking Switzerlan are the Alpine German-speaking Mission, still head-quartered in Munich. There is an overlap of missions in South Tirol (Italy) because German is also an official language there.

Of course there is plenty of chicken in Germany, and turkey, and it is very cheap. Let's not talk about the quality of the meat and the short tortured life these birds have to live though...

Date: July 29, 2015 09:25AM

Snowball, I am not sure chicken is unpopular. Now you can get Wurst sausages, mortadella and even salami made of Geflügelfleisch, poultry. Now this to me equals to apostasy, because salami, mortadella and Wurst have to be from Schwein!

As far as the climate is concerned, tropical are the rains we are having daily, except that it is cold.

Yes, there was a Leipzig Mission, which was moved to Dresden, or Dresden then moved to Leipzig, but they are long gone.

Posted by: Petra ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 09:39AM

Now it is going to be fun to see how fast the information on the site will be changed with those active in the site reading this message board :)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 10:26AM

we are overrun by preening cocks."

Posted by: Petra ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 10:43AM

The missionaries or the feathery kind? Sorry, i am bad

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 10:38AM

Any idea who wrote that content? It's downright bizarre. Oh, and as far as the morg is concerned, they can forget Heidelberg. The city was "dusted" by a newly arrived mishie after he failed to get a single baptism within the first few weeks of his arrival to the field, white and ready to harvest. lol

lapsed, we probably had overlap during our missions. I was in Frankfurt during the infamous Flade administration.

I had to smile reading about the "Alpine German-speaking" mission. Anyone who speaks German knows the people in those areas don't. :P They should call it the "Crazy Germanic Dialects People In The Next Valley Can't Understand Much Less The Country Next Door". It's a bit long, though, so I can see why they went with Alpine.

Date: July 29, 2015 10:57AM

Haha, that's right, Void, German spoken down there is exactly like that.

Anyway, back to the Frankfurt Mission site, I went to take a look and under the section "About the Mission" there is a colums called "experiences" and down there, "What items were hard to get and not available?" Apparently some missionaries weren't able to find peanut butter, Oreos, rootbeer, jello and similar non strictly necessary food. Mensch! where have they been? You can find peanut butter even by Aldi! Crunchy or creamy. Oreos are EVERYWHERE even in the form of icecream; I have seen Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew; jello is called Götterspeise, "Food of the Gods", so how did they miss that?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 11:45AM

It's like the author was recalling what it was like on his mission in 1963.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 11:45AM

Way back in '79, when I arrived in France for my mission, we were told similar stupid things -- including "you can't buy peanut butter anywhere, nobody carries it."

First p-day on my mission, in Paris itself a few days later, my comp and I did the shopping. Normal, typical, everyday "supermarche" (supermarket). Companion goes to the aisle to get some Nutella for our crepes. What's sitting right next to it, about 100 jars of it on the shelf? Peanut butter. Two French brands, an English brand, and Skippy (imported).

Are the mission leaders truly clueless, or are they intentionally trying to make a place seem more "foreign" to Americans than it actually is?

Tropical Frankfurt, though -- that's just hilarious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.