Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:54AM

Well, William never really got along with Joseph. In fact in Kirtland most of the family had turned against Joseph and he wrote in his Journal 1/1/1836, "My heart is pained within me, because of the difficulty that exists in my father's family. The devil has made a violent attack on William & Calvin Stoddard, and the powers of darkness seem to lower over their minds, and not only over theirs, but they also cast a gloomy shade over the minds of my brothers and sisters, which prevents them from seeing things as they really are; and the powers of earth and hell seem combined to overthrow us and the church, by causing a division in the family..."

Well Ole Dad finally got William and Joseph to settle their quarrel. But Joe was still mad at Calvin Stoddard (Sophronia Smith's husband) due to him not toeing the line.

See Calvin had sued Joseph Smith only a few months earlier for assault and battery. William was Calvin's witness and Ma Lucy was Joseph's witness. The suit was called off as "self defense"

Then Calvin is dead and "...Sleeping in Jesus" just a few months later. No mention of illness, drinking, or any other signs....Yet Calvin Stoddard was dead, dead, dead.
http://www.josephsmithsr.com/wiki/SMITH,_Sophronia_-_I39

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 01:06AM

All I can think of while reading this story, is my past.

I came very close to marrying a TBM with the Stoddard name. In hindsight (thanks Google) I dodged a bullet.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:26PM

Doesn't JS's sad journal entry remind you of Nephi getting tied up in the boat, blah, blah, blah ...

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:49PM

Exactly! The world was alway combining against Nephi and Joe Smith. Strange coincidence that.

One major mark of a narcissict: Their problems are the center of the universe, unique, and on a grand scale.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 12:51PM by iflewover.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:42PM

Seems as if some of the Smith children had enough integrity to call BS on brother Joe's shenanigans.
But not Mom, Dad or Hyrum...they were ride or die Joe. Telling that those three also profited the most from the new church along with Joe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.