Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonExed ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:19PM

My wife is in the doctor's office due to an allergic reaction to bug bites when the nurse begins talking about loosing a child in 2003 and that her cousin lost one the same year. The nurse says: "My cousin still mourns over the loss of her son and hangs angel wings on the Christmas tree for Aaron. She can't move on." Then she says, "I moved on. I'm going to raise my son in the next life!"

Is there any other church where members believe they will be raising miscarried children in the next life other than Mormons? We vivo in the "Bible belt."

During this verbal exchange, my wife is trying to be compassionate (due to the loss of the nurse's child) but has this wtf look on her face. She is multi-talented!

If it is comforting for people to believe/know that miscarried children are raised in the next life, then I'll all for it. But the conversation was a tad out of place in an emergency walk-in-clinic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:26PM

I think the nurse is sleep deprived. I tend to think hospitals overwork emergency room people.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:43PM

I was told a story about a woman who had an abortion, and a church grand-high-poobah told her that that little spirit subsequently came to life in the form of a child who was born to her sister.

That woman (and her sister) need to hire an attorney for such mental abuse!!!

Posted by: Tonto ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:49PM

My wife and I desperately wanted the two pregnancies that she lost. Both were very early on. The hurt has never really gone away, but the joy was so great on our third try.

I don't begrudge a single person dealing with this the best way they can.

While it's something that my wife and I don't share outside our immediate family, it helps some people to talk about it if such things come up in the normal course of conversation.

It seems odd that this would come up in a routine doctor's visit relating to a bug bite.

Date: July 28, 2015 10:52PM

Tonto, I'm sorry for your losses. My husband and I have lost two as well.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:57PM

Trained professional means keeping your personal medical issues out of the office (at least in health care).

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:11PM

Huh! I remember a seminary discussion on this topic... We were told that righteous saints would be resurrected during the millennium (falcon) and be allowed to raise their kids that had died as babies. But in the meantime, the spirit of the deceased baby/child was in Paradise (by the dashed board light) as an adult and if the parents died before the start of the resurrection, they would be reunited with the adult spirit of their departed child, and they could have tea together afternoon, after a day of tracting in spirit prison.

Yes sir, I used to be sooooo proud of the church for having ALL the answers, and especially for explaining why there were Blacks and misery and poverty and death, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 12:17AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:50AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:16PM

Waiting for the mother to grow old, die, and raise them in the CK?

That doesn't make sense to a normal person. It seems cruel to the infant who wallows as a fetus for decades.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:20PM

that if the baby doesn't take a breath, then they are not your children and you will not be raising them in the next life. My friend had a stillbirth at 8-1/2 months. She was told the child was not "viable" so she wouldn't be raising her. She keeps it to herself.

The stake president (who had been my SS teacher) had a daughter who had stillborn twins. He told her they were not viable and she would not be raising them in the next life.

Date: July 28, 2015 11:26PM

Ugh. That's a horrible thing to say to a TBM mother who lost her baby or babies.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:22AM

I believe that Mette Harrison, the author of The Bishop's Wife, had her theological problems with the church begin with this doctrine, after a stillbirth.

To my knowledge, the church has never presented a solid doctrine regarding 'when the spirit enters the body'. But at least it's not the Catholic interpretation, at conception.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 10:33AM

But Mormonism also teaches that we will be resurrected to a perfected adult form. Does that mean miscarried children will have adult bodies, too? Does that mean one would be "raising" an adult?

Date: July 29, 2015 10:37AM

Nobody ever thought that through
when they taught it.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:50PM

Yes, well sort of. It is believed by some that children who have not yet reached the age of accountability when they die go to heaven, and that may include miscarried children. Some faiths even believe that all deceased children and/or those who were still children living at the end of the world are automatically grown to reach a certain age.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.