Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 11:14PM

Now that there is SSM and acceptance in the land shouldn't there be a visible movement from within the hierarchy to bring back plural marriage (or celestial sex). With such an upheaval in the days of WW, LS, and JFS and the numerous excommunications among the GA's, the split between fundamentalism and mainstream that still hurts the family of mormonism (especially since we all live right here in Utah, a stones cast away).

I mean the bretheren were so against giving it up because it was SOOO important why exactly are they are SOOO against it now? With the recent acceptance of SSM wouldn't the church lawyers be pushing to defend the flds and Warren Jeffs. Shouldn't there be talks in GC preparing members for the day of plural marriage?

Why don't the bretheren push for this? What gives?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 11:32PM

I think it's that they are so focused on fighting same sex marriage, and one of their bases for being against it is that it's not "Traditional." They're using a defense of traditional marriage, and saying that SSM is not traditional.

So if they start fighting for plural marriage, silly geese like us will point out that plural marriage is not traditional and the church will end up having to go back and defend polygamy, and its divine origin, with the angel with the flaming sword, etc. That will make them laughing stocks among people who don't know hardly anything about los mormones, much as the broadway Book of Mormon musical does now.

So naturally, your question should be repeated and repeated and repeated, just so we can see how long they'll stand there, sweating, tugging and their collars and looking off stage for some direction.

Posted by: anonforthisexmorm ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 11:25PM

Polygamy is much more traditional than monogamy...traditional also isn't better, though.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 12:43AM

If Mormons really believed their own b.s. they would proclaim their beliefs to the world -- but they don't. Many cultures have unique concepts of the afterlife but the idea of becoming a supposed goddess in a harem on another planet and being kept on call for "endless celestial sex" and being eternally pregnant to produce a never-ending stream of spirit babies to populate the planet given to your god-husband isn't exactly my idea of paradise...

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 08:31PM

It's definitely someones idea of paradise...

Date: July 27, 2015 01:02AM

I have discussed this before on here and I really believe they will bring polygamy back once it becomes legal. It probably won't happen for a good 10 years or so, but it will happen because the church wants the money it will bring in.

First it needs to become legal, then socially acceptable. As more and more people "come out of the shadows" you will see it on more TLC type shows. Eventually the stigma will be lessened to a certain degree.

When polygamy is legal, the Church will have no recourse or grounds to excommunicate anyone for practicing it because it is firmly rooted in D&C 132. If they do, it will bring up serious questions of what is revelation and doctrine. Once the legality issue is removed, they have to let members practice it.

I do not believe the Church will endorse or promote polygamy at the outset. I think they will just make quiet changes in the Church manuals and bishops handbooks to accept polygamous families in the wards, and to not ostracize or excommunicate them. They don't want all the current chapel mormons running for the hills, but at the same time they smell plenty of untapped TITHING money from the polygamous families.

Once there are enough families in the wards, and time has erased the stigma of polygamy, you will see the Church publicly accept, then endorse it.

It will end up being some doublespeak nonsense like "We accept that many of our brothers and sisters in the gospel wish to practice this celestial principle.. the Lord has seen fit in his time to re-establish this law again upon the earth. We hope that members will consult with their Bishops in prayer and fasting before making such serious, eternal commitments, and that God will bless his children as they partake of this everlasting covenant in His temples."

I asked my TBM sister if this were to happen if she would actually go through with it. Her answer? "well, I guess it would have to be something that DH and I discussed when it comes time". I was like WTF??? This tells me that there are MANY MANY Mormons out there that may act like polygamy is weird, but deep down are ready to take the plunge.

Partake is such a Mormony word, isn't it?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 09:35PM

johnnyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> When polygamy is legal, the Church will have no
> recourse or grounds to excommunicate anyone for
> practicing it because it is firmly rooted in D&C
> 132. If they do, it will bring up serious
> questions of what is revelation and doctrine. Once
> the legality issue is removed, they have to let
> members practice it.

All they need to do is to continue to say that da Lawd doesn't want it practiced at this time, and they can ex anyone who disobeys the ban. Simple.

Date: July 27, 2015 09:52PM

the problem is that the ban was instituted because of the illegality of polygamy..

with that gone, why have the ban?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 01:21AM

I understand your reasoning, and I agree. I just mean, there will be no real problem for them to use "the lord's will" gambit to pacify the members. They use it all the time for lots of crazy stuff.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 01:13AM

Excellent question! The cult sure is picky in what they choose to fight for (or against), aren't they? Sure seems like they should be out there marching in behalf of Ole Joey's Favorite Pastime - Polygamy.

I am old enough (yeah, and still sort of kicking) to remember their fight against the Equal Rights Amendment. What a lesson in how the ward/stake communication set-up works! No stone was left unturned. The message was (my spin) for all of the housewives who were usually COMMANDED to stay home and mind the babies and potatoes, now to get their a$$es downtown to Salt Lake City and be told what they needed to do about this EVIL Equal Rights Amendment. They were to get educated so they could vote RIGHT on this thing that was going to ruin families and require women to leave making pies for their Priesthood Holders and serve in the US Military. (OMG, NO!)

But, of course, the cult never gets involved in politics....hehe

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 01:17AM

They keep saying marriage is between a man and a woman. They don't really mean that but that's what they say.
They mean marriage is between a child molester and several girls who are just shy of their 15th birthdays.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 03:33AM

They are indeed fighting and fighting hard.
You just don't know it though.
Possibly they, along with other religious faiths, are financing various American Right Wing Christian organisations such as the NOM and others, through its various channels and company structures.
Remember this money is originally tithes, which transferred through the cult's various corporate structures, helps to finance these radical groups.
These independent ultra conservative groups strictly promote traditional male/female marriage, actively engage in other countries, where they lobby elected politicians, and with generous financial inducements, employ them to directly influence and promote anti gay legislation at government level.
This subversive strategy by the cult and others has been very successful in various countries in Eastern Europe and in Africa, with dire consequences for the lgbt communities in the affected countries.
The cult of course will deny all knowledge or involvement in these radical right wing groups.
The cult is currently involved in promoting lgbt rights in Utah and contributing small amounts of financial support to an independent gay group.
This of course is a public relations exercise and smoke screen purely for public consumption, which is engineered to hide their real intent, which is for the Mormon cult to continue with their strict anti gay policies within its own church structure and doctrine, maintaining strict control of all its member families at all levels.
There was an interesting documentary recently on UK TV, Channel 4, "Dispatches: Hunted, Gay and Afraid".
It highlights various network organisations and their increasing financial support of anti gay legislation throughout the world, with devastating and frightening consequences for lgbt individuals in their communities.
Google: Channel 4 Dispatches, Hunted Gay and Afraid.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 09:39AM

The last thing TSCC wants is polygamy restored. They know it's terrible for women and children. They know there are plenty of LDS women for whom polygamy would be the last straw -- this isn't the American frontier anymore where women were pushed into that situation and had few if any options, other than prostitution, if they left.

And, church leaders don't want the average Mormon male to be getting too much into "prophet" mentality -- thinking if he has lots of wives he must be smarter and more righteous than the guys in the Church Office Building.

Even if somehow it were determined to be legal as a result of the Supreme Court precedent on gay marriage, church leaders would continue to say that "even though God ordained it as righteous and appropriate at one time, now is definitely not the time for its restoration on this planet and we don't know when, if ever, God will declare that it is the right time again."

Things would go on exactly as they are now -- acceptance of polygamy as a past practice, but a continual downplaying of it, a total ban on it, and non-stop preaching that God intends for marriage to be between one man and one woman.

One might ask -- why, if it's legal, wouldn't church leaders have to stand for their principles and allow it since it is the preferred and celestial plan? Because they never have to stand for their principles on anything. So why would they on this?

Date: July 27, 2015 10:48AM

You lost me at the church caring about women and children.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 11:06AM

Me too.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 08:48PM

NY Gal is correct I believe...her statement regarding women and children did not say LDS, Inc cared about women and children. She stated correctly that they know it is terrible for women and children.

The unwritten ending to her statement is polygamy would have a significant negative impact to their bottom line. Actually NYGal does say that in so many words, because when women and children hit the Exit ramp, they take their tithing stream with them forever.

Sorry for speaking for you NYGal, but I think I got your gist.

Date: July 27, 2015 09:12PM

I got the gist, but I disagree with it completely in that many presume to believe that Mormon women are just going to up and reject polygamy.. my argument is that they won't.

Even my own mother defended joseph smith when she read the essays on polygamy. Her statement "well the Lord commanded him" spoke volumes to me.

I know that there are plenty of mormon men AND women who are totally ok with going into polygamy.

The Denver Snuffer movement proves this. As soon as it is socially acceptable, the Church will allow it and eventually go back to promoting it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 09:14PM by johnnyboy.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 01:52PM

Before they openly embrace it again, they will have a room full of accountants and economists do multiple cost/benefit analyses. And then a Madison Ave marketing firm will perform multiple polls both within and outside the church.

How much will the, "there goes those weirdos" factor cost them in new converts and long-time members who leave the fold because of it is the question.

Sure, there is a percentage of members willing to accept polygamy again, but how does it compare to the percentage that will say, "That's it. This is bullshit." and leave and/or stop paying tithing?

It's a business and they are businessmen at heart. The bottom line must be protected at all cost.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:25AM

Here is the thing: behind their closed MORmON doors to their MORmON subject audience, on their BYU campuses, in their MORmON priestDUD meetings and SackerMent meetings MORmONS talk really tough about all that they are going to do in the name of their lowerhead lord MORmON Jesus (who is really Joseph Smith's penis) like single handedly saving the US constitution. Back in reality, if a MORmON political aim, not that the MORmON church ever gets involved in politics -just ask Gordon BS Hinckley, is not already a done deal in harmony with general majority consensus or can not be accomplished by the underhanded means of covert bribes and /or opportunistic bullying then suddenly the great MORmON latter day work grinds to a halt and the most that MORmONS can do is empty but loud MORmON style bitching, whining, and crying about how wicked the world is and how Satan opposes them because they are just so darn good. Sure the MORmONS could beat up on the blacks until it was illegal for the blacks to be an official underclass in America. Sure the MORmONS could undermine gay rights until the courts spoke, and LD$ Inc can brow beat teen agers into going on full time missions to sell the Book of MORmON scam and MORmON style family unity based on stupid unmentionable secret handshakes done in MORmON temples, and those missionaries will be instructed to say that the MORmON church is the greatest ally that the underclasses have ever had.

When it comes right down to it MORmONS are some of the biggest talking all show no go lame ass dead wood gutless wimps around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsi-r1amY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGemjM0GMQ

If you want a reminder of how MORmONS really stand up for their corrupt causes when the going starts getting a little rough then just watch how Gordon BS Hinckley stands for something when it really counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEMX0VooD4

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 08:59PM

The Mormon church will do anything it takes to preserve its doctrine of Celestial marriage between a man and woman and will engage with other religious organisations to influence lawmakers worldwide by using every subversive trick in the book which will help to defend and protect its divinely inspired everlasting covenant of marriage.
Financially supporting worldwide anti gay legislation is the biggest weapon in the struggle to preserve its unique Celestial doctrine, which will maintain its authority and the all important revenue stream from its members.
It is a fight that is currently ongoing and one that it is desperate to win, whatever the cost.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:45PM

Smirkorama, I will point out for the third time that it reflects poorly on the validity of your posts when you insist on stylizing the church as 'MORmON' etc. etc.

The church may be incredibly foolish in their response to the legalizing of gay marriage (like every other evangelical or radical rightwing organization), but this doesn't rise to the suggestion that they will begin to institute polygamy. It would be completely contrary to the goal of being seen as a more wordly, inclusive church, that can have anyone as a member. Their would be swathes of people who would leave outright at the re institution of polygamy.

And most importantly as someone else suggested this would be very bad for their bottom line, which is what they care about most anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 10:45PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: finnan haddie ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 05:32AM

I'm pondering this at the moment.

I don't see the mainstream LDS church pushing for this, as doing so would make their polygamist theology explicit.

We already know from some female exmos that just the doctrines of polygamy in the Celestial Kingdom were enough to make them leave, once they found out about them. And as a nevermo woman, those doctrines are enough to prevent me from ever having even a passing thought of joining. Heaven as an endless state of pregnancy as part of a celestial harem? It's just not attractive at all to women.

So even if they never even achieved the legalisation of polygamy, the publicisation of these doctrines that would come as a result of the campaign would do horrible things to recruitment, especially female recruitment.

And if they did achieve legalisation, why would any woman sign up for that? You need some serious cultural or religious pressure to submit to a polygynous marriage; if you don't already believe in the religion, that pressure just isn't there, and without that pressure the whole concept is repulsive to most women and many men.

To conclude, it would be suicide. They must know that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 05:33AM by cattofthegarage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.