Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 10:46AM

The other beer thread got me wondering if there is a good, decent beer out there that doesn't cause headaches?

I drink 1-2 beers and end up feeling yucky and headachy within a few hours.

Meanwhile, I drink several glasses of heavy red wines, or 3-4 mixed drinks and no ill effects. Nothing.

Anyone else like this? What beer do you drink? I like beer at a ballgame or BBQ and would really like to find something I can enjoy.

Oh yeah, I recently tried a Blue Moon and it didn't give me a headache, but I only had one. Are wheat beers better in this aspect??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 10:49AM

Dechutes Black Butte Porter

A dark beer, drink very cold in a chilled glass

Date: July 26, 2015 11:07AM

Just read some reviews and it sounds delicious baneberry.

But, are you recommending it based on taste, or does it leave you feeling fine the next day as well?

I will pick some up today to go with my burgers this afternoon if you guarantee no headache:)

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 11:53AM

I cannot guarantee no headache. I do like it's flavor. Lienenklugel's Big Butt is another good one. Sam Adams is another.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 11:34AM

You might have an allergy to something in the beer that is causing your sinuses to swell up (and thereby creating a headache.) If you can figure out the ingredient that is irritating you, you might have a solution.

Most people try a bunch of beers until you find a few that you like in various price ranges, if necessary. You're not going to like every beer or even perhaps many beers.

Date: July 26, 2015 11:52AM

Thank summer. I've had the same thought that something in beer doesn't agree with me. And I'm not throwing down a case. 1-2 will give me that back of the head kind of headache, not necessarily the facial/sinus one.

Water, malt, yeast, hops in some variation, right?

I don't like sugary mixers in cocktails as they tend to give me a headache also. Maybe the sugars in beer get to my bloodstream faster?

Anyway, I will take your suggestion and keep trying to find the right combo for me. I have a big bottle of aspirin:)

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 11:57AM

Try a histamine blocker, like Histame or Daosin. They work great for me. They work on the histamine in the stomach that builds up and gives you headaches and blushed skin from diet.

Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 12:00PM

The thing about headaches and alcoholic drinks are that it seems to depend on the person drinking them more than anything else. I get headaches from drinking red wine. Also, if I drink white wine or beer before or after drinking rum or some other spirit, I get a pretty bad hangover the next day. My best bet for no headaches seems to be a rum and coke and nothing else.

One last thing, I discovered the best beer ever last week in Wyoming. It is an IPA by Snake River Brewery. Excellent to the taste and very desirable.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 12:09PM

Was that at the Evanston brewfest?

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 12:15PM

... learn what you like, but retry old "hates" some other time ... it is surprising just how many of the drinks I abhorred early on turned into my favorites later.

One real surprise for me was gin. Gives me really seriously wacked-out dreams -- and not the most restful sleep.

Now -- going into it with that knowledge I find I really ENJOY those wacked-out dreams -- quite funny at times.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 01:52PM

Miller Lite. Tastes great and is less filling for over 40 years!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 02:17PM

In regards to the beer = headache thing...

Could be dehydration. Drink water before you start in on beers, in fact, stay hydrated.

Could be an allergy to a certain ingredient in the brew. You'd have to conduct experiments to try to discern the culprit ingredient...may not be worth the trouble, though. You could start out with hops, barley and malt as the first suspects, some beers have less of one, others have more. There could be a tipping point somewhere.

You have a bond-fide research project in drinking beer!

Congratulations!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 02:17PM by csuprovograd.

Date: July 29, 2015 01:29PM

Hey grad, I tried your pre-party water-loading suggestion last night and it seemed to work! Took a little longer to catch a buzz, but I drank 4 beers over the course of the evening (had an extra one just for research purposes, haha) and didn't wake up in the middle of the night with a throbbing head. Yeah!

Thanks to all for the other suggestions as well everyone. This drinking stuff is kind of fun...I can see why the church is completely opposed to it.

Now, what kind of catheter do you all use/suggest? That part is annoying for someone who didn't grow up drinking beer like normal people. My bladder is the size of a walnut apparently.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 01:58PM

Glad it worked for you! Just add water!

As for the recycling of the beer...I used to work at a bar that had a sign over the urinal that said - "We don't sell beer-We rent it!".

My capabilities back then were 4 beers before I returned it in the pisser. After that it went about 1 beer:1 trip to the can.
Of, course, your mileage may vary. See manager for details.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.