Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 03:20PM

I hate the arrogance in the church. People think they're so damned humble , but they'll point out faults & be so danged judgemental at any time. I come from a HUGE Mormon & I grew up in Utah. But the arrogance & Holier than thou attitudes drive me nuts. I probably haven't covered this very well, but.........just sayin'.
Thank you for taking the time to listen to my whine !

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 03:28PM

These are the people who send their 18 year old kids to my door to explain to me that they know God better than anyone else.

Arrogance barely begins to describe it.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 03:16PM

+1

At least I can say that I was a much more worldly 19-year-old before I starting telling others how to live their lives—ha!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 03:31PM

OK, this is my absolute favorite thing to say to Mormons-behaving-badly. When they say something like that, just say "See, THIS is why people don't respect Mormons." The idea that there are people who don't respect Mormons is so astonishing to the sort of people you described that you will stop them in their tracks with this statement. Of course, when they recover they will try all kinds of pre-programmed thought stoppers like:

That's ridiculous - everyone admires Mormons for their high standards. Reply: That's just what they say to your face.

or

You can't judge the church by the people. Reply: That's true, because the people don't live the church's teachings.

or

You are just angry because you are an ex-Mormon. Reply: So why don't people who have never been Mormon like you?

or

People don't want to work that hard to live up to Mormon standards. Reply: You mean people don't want to work hard to be like you. What do you suppose it is that makes Mormons not worth admiring or striving to emulate?

Anyway, I could obviously go on and on all day - curse/blessing of being in journalism is that you can write up all kinds of stuff. The important thing is that you remind YOURSELF that most people don't respect Mormons and IMO, it's because of the way they treat others. Because of the sort of behaviors you described. Even if you don't feel like saying a word, remind yourself of that. Another one of my exmo bylaws is "don't start an argument with someone who has no logic skills." It's not worth your time, but only you can decide if you will be able to get your point across - if the person you are being annoyed by has enough logic skills to engage.

Date: July 26, 2015 12:16AM

Well said , CA girl !! Thank you for the input !

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:15PM

Date: July 26, 2015 01:18AM

Thank you , Cheryl !!!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:29PM

It all started with Joseph Smith who actually stated on one occasion that he was greater than Jesus Christ. He felt he was above the law and could take any woman he desired.

The Church has always marched to his drum.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:34PM

Yep. Smug bastards, claiming "the gift of discernment," claiming to have authority that is totally imaginary. It has taken me quite some time to realize that these clowns have no authority or power whatsoever over me. I have insulted a stake president to his face and really enjoyed it. He was so unused to it that he didn't know whether to piss or wind his watch.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 11:44PM

I agree. The Holier Than Thou attitude is so rampant in Mormonism, especially here in Utah. I've lived in California and overseas where members are generally more welcoming and open-minded. But in the middle of Mormon central? Watch out.

I know we shouldn't judge people by their religious affiliation but damn, it sure applies to a LOT of them. And I've met a LOT.

Date: July 26, 2015 12:49AM

oneinbillions :
I agree with you. I grew up in Draper, Utah. ( Draper's gone straight to hell.) But for the last 30 yrs we've lived in Columbia , Missouri. I love Missouri & I love Columbia......................EXCEPT : We are in the Highland's Ward. Which is an extremely wealthy ward. ( We bought our home from some the original members of the church here in Columbia & our home is tiny & next to the "Ghetto".) I happen to LOVE all of our neighbors....Get-Toe OR NOT ! Our neighborhood is in the Highland's ward boundaries & Most of our ward wouldn't be caught DEAD in our neighborhood. (ARROGANT BASTARDS !!!) What's HYSTERICAL is that when their kids wanna run away from home , the only place they wanna go, is OUR house. Kids are always welcome here--- day or night. You can only imagine what the parents think of this !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 01:13AM by momto15kids.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 12:51AM

Kudos!

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:22AM

Hi momto15kids,
I am from Missouri! Carrollton-I think that is about an hour and a half from Columbia. A lot of my family lives in Brookfield and Richmond. I was born in little ol' Waverley (population 802).

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 11:56PM

"The church is perfect....."

That statement says everything you need to know about mormon arrogance.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 11:13AM

Date: July 28, 2015 03:19AM

madalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The church is perfect....."
>
> That statement says everything you need to know
> about mormon arrogance.

^5 - So true.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 12:35AM

Having just left a small family get-together in Idaho, and listening to the judgments on hair, fat, body type, use of tea and coffee all the while being mean to their Hispanic neighbors, snubbing one another taught me just how superficial they are and can be.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 12:39AM

That's why most of us are here, to help process and heal from all the destructive bullshit that IS mormonism.

You are perceiving and feeling exactly as you should.

You are FINE!

Mormons are fucked up.

Date: July 26, 2015 01:16AM

wastedtime.......Thank You !!!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 03:02AM

We humbly bow our heads...
And ask for all kinds of favors
Since we are thy chosen people...
Humbly? =[

Date: July 26, 2015 03:18AM

Ex-Sis :
Smiling & Clapping ! Thank you !!! Soooooo True !

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 03:39AM

Since your home is a sanctuary for wealthy Mormon teens who don't fit the impossible requirements at home, you must be very busy. All kids want to feel understood, not forced into a rigid cookie cutter life...

I think one of my roommates at BYU was from Draper? Her dad owned a mink ranch, and she was injured in a HS cheerleading toss.

Thank you for taking in kids who are desperate and suffocating from Mormonism. Parents are so clueless, trying to create clones of themselves, as if that is the be all end all. Another clone for SLC Inc. Yay! Ugh.

Date: July 30, 2015 04:14AM

Ex-Sis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since your home is a sanctuary for wealthy Mormon
> teens who don't fit the impossible requirements at
> home, you must be very busy. All kids want to feel
> understood, not forced into a rigid cookie cutter
> life...
>
> I think one of my roommates at BYU was from
> Draper? Her dad owned a mink ranch, and she was
> injured in a HS cheerleading toss.
>
> Thank you for taking in kids who are desperate and
> suffocating from Mormonism. Parents are so
> clueless, trying to create clones of themselves,
> as if that is the be all end all. Another clone
> for SLC Inc. Yay! Ugh.
Ex-sis.........There were 2 mink farms, I think , in Draper. I may be wrong, but I think a family by the name of "Hinkey" ( sp?) owned one & I'm not sure of the other one. I'll check with some old friends from Draper ( who now live in Southern Utah ) , & ask them for sure.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 02:12PM

Absolutely not.

Arrogance spills out in giving those of the "true church" a golden pass to be late, leave early or not show up at all when they said they would be present.

Arrogance is written all over the condescending looks and sneers sent to those who sport tatoos, men who wear a pony tail or a beard, women in a strapless sundress, etc.

Arrogance bounces off a priesthood holder as he lays down the law to his teen about why he cannot go with Ben on Sunday evening and that he should know better than to even ask.

Arrogance hit me smack in the face, when for the first time I was asked what was I thinking to let my four-year-old play with non-mormons.

Arrogance reigns supreme when you are asked by a Mormon, before they have spoken to you for three minutes, what Ward you belong to.

The insulting arrogance of Mormonism Cult played a huge role in leading me out. My upbringing was the class of the underdog and in poverty, and I could not tolerate the mindset of much of Mormonism. It grated on me.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 02:27PM

Lots of self-righteousness in the LDS Church. Gag.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 03:10PM

When I was in the church I thought I was better informed and more righteous than outsiders. Now that I'm out of the church, I think I'm better informed, more open minded and less arrogant than Mormons. I win no matter what, I guess.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:35AM

I cringe now, thinking back on how arrogant and self righteous I was...

Horrible.. horrible...

And yet, I had no real feeling of self worth, or self confidence.

talk about fucked up...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.