Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:19PM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-deseret-metropolis-state-review-20150704-story.html#

You have got to be kidding me. All I've heard from TBMs is all that Florida land was acquired for ranching and farming for food production.

Amazing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:24PM

Whatthefuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:27PM

I thought they were all moving to Missouri. When did they change it to Florida?

Why isn't this in the Utah papers, or the news?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 05:32PM by madalice.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:27PM

Some skids were well greased for this!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:30PM

Your tithing dollars at work...for the enrichment of the elite members of the upper crust only.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:30PM

Where would Jesus engage in Real Estate Speculation?

Date: July 07, 2015 05:31PM

This is what will bring them down.

Hubris.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:32PM

This really pisses me off.

My mother who is in her 70s works full time, & pays thousands of dollars in tithing to this scam, thinking that going to their scam of a temple is going to save her. Meanwhile, she struggles. She could be living comfortably if not for the cult.

(Yes, she & my dad have savings & get social security. But that's for when they're really old & can't work.)

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:23PM

You're not the only person here with family who are senior citizens paying into this scam..My TBM father who is also in his 70's pay them thousands of dollars a year as well. Just posting about this and reading about it makes my blood start to boil!!

Date: July 07, 2015 05:35PM

First a mall, then the philly project, now their own private Metropolis?

And have you noticed that temples used to be built next to a stake center and were tine, now they are huge again and more of a complex than anything. Many temples are part of a campus now.

Build, build, build!!!

Follow the MONEY!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:36PM

Packer said the world's not going to end for a long time.

This "decades-long" development project is proof they believe what he said and that we're not really in the "Latter Days" so much anymore.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:40PM

This isn't part of the recent land purchase, which is on the gulf coast up in the panhandle...not a great location for development...for now. This is the church ranch in central FL that they've had forever...much more valuable land. I didn't think they had any plans to develop this...though it will bring in billions of dollars. I guess they need the cash.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:43PM

Decades down the road it will probably be time to develop the land up north and billions will keep flowing in for years to come. This f*cking plague is never going away.

Date: July 07, 2015 05:45PM

Time for them to change their name.

They aren't a church. They don't have much use for Jesus, they obviously don't think this is the latter days, and I think they are seriously lacking when it comes to Saints.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:15PM

Look for some of the Mormon elites to start moving there once it gets going. "Enjoy resort living near Orlando" their pamphlets will say. "Forget about Missouri, and come to Wayward Palms."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 09:30PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Forget
> about Missouri, and come to Wayward Palms."

When you get a second anointing it is with a laying on of hands to help guide the spirit to overflowing onto your bosom. It isn't a sin to run a little factory if The Lord has called you to guide his big money making factories.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:16PM

I just posted his on Facebook, sent it to Paul Rolly at the Salt Lake Tribune, and emailed it to all the Mormons I know. I added this comment:

"I thought the prophecy was for the Mormons to walk back to Missouri to wait for the second coming of Jesus. Looks like Missouri is only going to be halfway now, and everyone will have to keep walking to Florida. You guys better get in shape - you're going to have to walk farther than you thought!"

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:46PM

I smell a plan. It's a long term plan, but the people who are really in charge at TSCC are planning an exit from religion strategy, like when the Oneida Sect eventually devolved or evolved into being just a kitchware manufacturer.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:52PM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 09:46PM

Remember those articles a coupla months ago about the church of Scatology---I mean Scientology---buying a lot of city property in Florida? The speculation was that the Sci-borgs are losing a lot of members, but they have a lot of cash from donors which they've been getting since they got their IRS religion tax-free status. So they're using the money to invest in real estate. The Mormons might be doing the same.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:22PM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 08:37PM

LDS, Inc. is a for-profit corporation. Why anyone gives them tithing is beyond me. They give wards nothing in budgets, and don't even clean their own buildings. They provide no support for their missionaries, while raking in billions.

Only the fat cats in SLC get any money, but the bulk of it is poured into real estate investments.

They are a REIT, not a church.

Date: July 07, 2015 10:31PM

What's a REIT!??? In layman's terms please? Thanks!

Date: July 07, 2015 10:41PM

Real Estate Investment Trust.

Except those who invest get instantly screwed.

Date: July 07, 2015 10:53PM

So in other words, TBM tithe payers and their families get screwed!!!!

Date: July 07, 2015 10:59PM

+1

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 08:56PM

Sounds like what they did in Hawaii and how well their condos sold at their mall. Who would want to live under the auspices of church authority? And they are just proving themselves over and over again to be a corporation, not a church with the purpose of charity. They are making themselves look creepier and creepier, like Scientology.

Date: July 07, 2015 09:07PM

I know a few people who grew up in that area of Florida.

They left. Why? Sick and tired of weather disasters, bugs, and 24/7 humidity and weather issues. The only thing thy miss is palm trees and the beach. They go visit places like that.They don't miss the misery that was Florida.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 09:32PM

The Deseret Ranch is, or at least was, about 330,000 acres, which is approximately the size of the entire Salt Lake valley. It was purchased back in the late 1950s iirc, and was out in the middle of nowhere at the time. Orlando was at the northern end of the large citrus belt in Florida.

Then Disney started buying up land, and then announced they were going to build a theme park in Orlando, and the rest is history.

Orlando has grown out to the edge of the ranch. The land is now worth a large fortune as residential property. Henry Moyle nearly bankrupted the LDS church with his spending, including this ranch. It was originally pitched as farmland where every worthy Mormon family could be given an acreage and a cow, when the U.S. economy and government collapsed.

That didn't happen, but ironically it is turning into a cash cow city of quarter acre half million dollar homes. Looks like they are trying to milk it for all it is worth, wetlands, conservation, parkland and all that be damned.

As Joseph Smith famously wrote, if there is anything lovely, praiseworthy, or of good report, Mormons will exploit it to the hilt if there is a buck to be made.

Something like that...

Date: July 07, 2015 09:35PM

If they can't make money off the meat, there is always the milk. They get the cream and if anyone complains they will apostate their asses.

Date: July 07, 2015 09:33PM

This is what happens when teetotaling businessmen and lawyers who worship money run a "religion." It starts to look like their spirit of God gives them pleasure in burning their bread while they turn other businessmen and lawyer's wine into water used to grow their portfolios.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:12PM

Who would Jesus rather bless?

How can the TSCC keep its tax free status. It clearly is nothing more than a for profit corporation now. There is no way that it is a religion in any sense except holding meetings once a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 10:20PM by dydimus.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:42PM

It is truly amazing that they have come up with such a great all-encompassing scam. I wonder when the religious scam turned into a business scam with a religious cover? Hmmm --- was it always this way?

The Kirtland Bank fiasco springs to mind. I looked it up:

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/josephsmithsbank.htm

and was struck by this sentence: "They had gathered to Kirtland at his command; the idea of purchasing housing lots in the great subdivision scheme had his full support; he had inferred that the bank would not only succeed, but would one day be the most powerful institution of its kind."

Sounds like today's Mormon leaders are just following the prophet. And somehow, they are getting away with it way better than Joseph did....

Date: July 07, 2015 11:05PM

Yeah but in today's world we have the Internet, cell phones, social media, this website. But in Joe's we did not. The morg is under scrutiny 365/24/7 in today's world!!

Posted by: krampus! ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:30PM

" Central Florida metropolis of a half-million residents".

Wouldn't it be great if the cult shipped all the temple recommend holding Mormons from Utah to their new New Jerusalem in Florida??!!!! Maybe they are building their own sovereign state over the gay marriage fiasco.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:14PM

I'm guessing that not many florida residents know that Deseret Ranches is the mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.