Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:04PM

At SM this week and next week!? Will there be any???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:08PM

I doubt it. People are bored with Mormon hate. They will just shake it off, shake it off.

It is becoming as dull as Catholics who have been in the hate business much longer.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:11PM

The real fallout will happen in the future, and LDS Inc will handle it poorly.

LDS Inc will be singled out from other religious organizations because of it's appearance of wealth and power, as well as its history.

There will be repercussions as society feels so different from LDS hate theology. We will see this initially in social media memes etc, attacking LDS positions towards homosexual persons.

Perhaps like the 1978 change, sports teams may refuse to play BYU etc.

The social media response will put LDS Inc on defense. But more importantly, will also put its members on defense. These members will work and conduct business will homosexual persons, who will hopefully confront them about the LDS positions.

Date: July 06, 2015 11:17PM

That's a huge Ouch!!!in the morg's future!!!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:54PM

They don't read D&C 132. but they frame and hang "Proclamation on The Family" even though it was nothing than a document drawn up by lawyers for the amicus briefs for the Hawaii SSM fights and the DOMA law.

They don't remember than when Blacks were given the priesthood, us teens and young adults were dragged into "special firesides" to teach us that just because Blacks were able to recv the priesthood and go to the temple, we still shouldn't date or worse inter-marry with them.

The corporation doesn't realize that now days people can look up their history on marriage, races, doctrines of blood oaths, God was once a man, etc... All of these can't be swept under the rug any longer. They (the corporation) got away with a lot of deception and changing the subject(s) with Mitt and Huntsman running back in 2012.

Now though it's an organized religion fighting against a certain group of people and society. The corporation still thinks it can fight the ERA the same way it did way back when; but it can't.

Date: July 07, 2015 08:30AM

So true. It still fights everything it feels threatened by. Strange for a church with a prophet who can call upon God's help anytime it wants.

What about suffering like Alma the Senior and his little flock against the evil judges of King Noah? Oh, yeah, that is fiction and this is reality.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 01:08PM

I read the statement last night (thanks to the one who posted the link!). No doctrine change still as anti-ssm as before, maybe even harsher with a bigger bat to beat over ones head?

They aren't being wishy-washy on this. At least they are holding onto something they think is important, not like the episcopal's, who forgot what they believe in and let the gays be pastors in the church.

Date: July 07, 2015 01:18PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least
> they are holding onto something they think is
> important, not like the episcopal's, who forgot
> what they believe in and let the gays be pastors
> in the church.

And letting them come out. I'm sure they were there before. Mormons require heterosexual marriage of their clergy. For them to "let the gays be" they would have to let them lose their beards.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 01:40PM

As someone who grew up in the Episcopal church - they didn't forget what they believed in. They simply clarified it. The acceptance of gays in church falls under the Marks of Mission, which post-date the acceptance of homosexuals as equal members of faith:

"To respond to human need by loving service"

"To seek to transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and to pursue peace and reconciliation"

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:11AM

For God's sake, Poopstone, stop posting. You are a bigot.

Posted by: Paella ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:25AM

jazzskeeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For God's sake, Poopstone, stop posting. You are
> a bigot.

How the hell does what he said make him a "bigot"? The Episcopalians, until *very* recently, didn't support such unions. Now they do. That is what is called a fact.

It reminds me of how the words "racist" and "homophobe", both of which a quite real, have been overused to the point of being meaningless now. Sheez.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:07AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 02:11AM by poopstone.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 01:38PM

My opinion is that this one is going to do a good amount of
damage. America has gone one way......

and the cult of Mormonism is going the wrong way and it is a way that has been declared by many to be petty, extremely hurtful, and demeaning.

I think it is one more arrow placed in the minds of some non-mormons shouting that those who lead the mormon cult are mean and uncaring.

I think there will be fall-out in sports, education, and legislation and who knows what else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 01:39PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:34PM

I've noticed a heightened sensitivity on the matter. There's no full frontal attack on the so-called "gay agenda" as we see with Evangelical preachers. It seems that every statement concerning the church's stance on SSM is paired with another statement reminding people that all people deserve love and respect, or that the church backed anti-discrimination legislation in Utah.

Also, two members (one in a leadership position) reached out to me right after last GC asking if I wanted to talk. Since I make my stance on the subject public knowledge, they were worried that I was offended by the intense focus on stopping SSM. I was.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:36PM

There was no reading in my ward last Sunday. This is just my observation in general.

Date: July 07, 2015 11:13PM

Odds are they'll read it this Sunday then.....

Posted by: Wilruff ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:56PM

When Canadian Federal law allowed same sex marriage ten years ago, the general LDS membership in Canada heard nothing from church headquarters, either before or after the law was passed. Letters were sent to HQ asking advice for the members in Canada but they remained unanswered.

Similarly when the war over the ERA in the US was waging in the late 70's, the LDS church leadership in the US made a big deal about it and organized the US membership to fight it. A few years later the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms was prepared and eventually virtually the same wording as the ERA of the US was embedded in it. The Canadian Minister of Justice at the time Jean Chretien stumped across the country to sell this Charter using the words: "With one stroke of pen Canadians will receive the equal rights that Americans were unable to achieve." I awaited a response from the LDS leadership to this, but all I heard was great roars of silence. The Charter is now embedded in the Canadian Constitution.

All I can say - what a bunch of hypocrites LDS leadership is.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:25AM

Canada ju$t i$n't worth it, I gue$$...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.