Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:09PM

Could Mitt or Dieter assume command?

I understand the corporate legal setup, but...

That can be changed with some paperwork, that may have already been drawn.

Or, next old guy in line given the title, but not actually having any power or running anything...which I think is the case now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:15PM

I don't think there is anything illegal about it if they decide to vote on Donald Trump instead of the most senior apostle.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:24PM

Donald would be a perfect fit. He knows all about real estate. He knows all about having multiple women. He knows all about getting people to hand over their money. He knows all about being worshiped and how to get attention.

The only thing he'd need to change is the WoW. I'm thinking there would be a lot of mormons that would welcome change and clarity on that subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 10:24PM by madalice.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:13PM

I watched one episode of The Apprentice, where Donald didn't drink alcohol with the group at dinner. He said that he doesn't touch the stuff. Looks like it's the perfect fit after all!

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 02:34AM

Yes!

The Donald also has a racist streak as well. Another reason why he could be the MORmON profit.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 06:39PM

The Donald will need more the a "streak" of racism to resemble BY. He needs to be a card carrying KKK member to even get close to the racism of BY.

Isn't it cool (NOT) that they have a university named after the slimeball?

"body of the apostles appointed" - I prefer the sound of BODIES of the apostles... that's just me though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 06:42PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:27PM

I read, "Could a LDS Coupé happen with the death of a dealership?"

I don't know why. Funny how that happens sometimes. It is like song lyrics gone wrong.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:29PM

SOP for the Mormon church is that the senior apostle becomes the next prophet upon the death of the current one. However, I think that the membership of the church would accept whomever the body of the apostles appointed. It would get interesting, however, if there were a dispute that couldn't be resolved internally among the apostles and it went public. I think in that case the membership would follow the voice of the majority of the apostles. What would happen in a fifty-fifty split? I think the membership would go with whichever side the senior apostle were on. All this is just speculation on my part and there may be legal directives already codified within the bylaws of the Corporation that would determine the fate of the church in the case of disharmony among the apostles.

But I don't think that a "coup," per se, is at all likely (or even possible) with the way the Mormon church hierarchy is currently structured.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:33PM

I think there is only one Sole in LDS Inc. that could do a damned thing about anything and he is handled so thoroughly that there isn't a damned thing any other apostle could do.

The best they could do is start their own cult and the few that have tried in the distant past were dismal failures.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:39PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think there is only one Sole in LDS Inc. that
> could do a damned thing about anything and he is
> handled so thoroughly that there isn't a damned
> thing any other apostle could do.
>
> The best they could do is start their own cult and
> the few that have tried in the distant past were
> dismal failures.

Obviously you have not seen the season finale of Game of Thrones.

Much like the ending of the "Sole" leadership of Saddam Hussien or Khadaffi, the "Sole" is not always the final decision maker.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:41PM

Well I would like to see a "prophet" go Hussien or Khadaffi on the church and church leadership. That would be a good show.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:30PM

Or perhaps a hostile takeover by another church or corporation?

Could Walmart, Monsanto, Comcast, Halliburton, Goldman Sachs, or the Southern Baptists just buy them out?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:45PM

The closest thing to a coup we're likely to see is Nelson making Oaks his counselor and dismissing the Crying Man. He wouldn't dare dismiss Uchtdorf.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:48PM

Nelson has beady little eyes that I always thought were shifty and creeped me out.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:53PM

I suppose that it is possible for the first person in line to "voluntarily" step aside and let the next person have it --- or the next, again with a "voluntary" abdication, as it were --- or however long it takes until Oaks gets the job. Which is where I'd see that little game find its ultimate goal.

Also, I would love to see Walmart or Costco buy out TSCC. Then everyone would be happy to go to church on Sundays....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 10:54PM by peculiargifts.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:58PM

peculiargifts Wrote:
> I suppose that it is possible for the first person
> in line to "voluntarily" step aside and let the
> next person have it --- or the next, again with a
> "voluntary" abdication, as it were --- or however
> long it takes until Oaks gets the job.

I believe the "continuing revelation" thing will prevent this from ever happening. They would have to admit they aren't as prophetic as Joseph Smith and why would God allow that for his prophet like unto Moses?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:11PM

What if the morg spilts into other different cults/ churches instead!??? Is that even possible???

Date: July 06, 2015 11:14PM

southern Idaho inactive Wrote:
> What if the morg spilts into other different
> cults/ churches instead!??? Is that even
> possible???

A long dragged out war among the top insiders would be the best possible things to happen.

It would be ugly, because the negotiations of which side get which assets might be leaked to the world.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:15PM

who will get poisoned ?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:29AM

"Coups" have happened in the past.

At one time the apostle that had been an apostle the longest was next in line. Problem was there were apostles running around that were never mdmbers of the 12. So "rule change errrrr revelation " an one needed to be a member of the 12 to be in line for president.

This affected certain members of the first presidency under Brigham Young such as John Young and Daniel Wells.

On other occasions "rule change/revelation " and suddenly certain apostles were demoted in seniority. Namely Orson Hyde and Orson Pratt.

There was seniority jockeying between Joseph F Smith and Brigham Young Jr. In 1869 Young was listed senior to Smith. In 1900 the roles were reversed making Smith Senior and eventually president.

Also there is precedent that anyone that is a high priest or higher can be called to the first presidency. The number of councillors is not limited to 2. So younger or more capable men could be placed in a position of power without marching through the ranks.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 02:27AM

Yes, like if the presiding bishop was made an apostle and first presidency member, with the bishop's office as his portfolio. Boom shakalaka, de facto profit.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 07:31PM

Happened twice I am aware of.

Charles W. Nibley went from Presiding Bishop to 2nd Counselor in FP.

John R. Winder went from 2nd Counselor in Presiding Bishopric to 1st councelor in FP.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 03:13AM

I think black smoke should be coming out of the temple on SLC when the new cult pope is chosen.... or I'll just take the black smoke without any reason...

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 06:36PM

that's how BY took over. By exiling or murdering his competitors.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 06:47PM

Not in the sense of an outsider taking over the church. Mormon coups occur when the prophet gets senile and the apostles struggle for who will run things in his absence.

Ideally, the prophet should be replaced or his counsellors should run the church instead of him or the Q12 should take control. But as you know, Hinckley took the reins when Kimball was still prophet and then ran the church for decades. It didn't really matter who the prophet was, since they were too old to care and Hinckley just stayed in control.

My reading of the tea leaves is that there is a struggle right now between Uchdorf and any allies he might have and Ballard's faction. Ballard is constantly jumping in front of the cameras, asserting control over the Prop 8 battle, engineering the recent excommunications, etc. He even did the Sabbath video last week.

This is all subtle stuff, of course, but it is not unprecedented. Quiet power struggles happen all the time in the upper reaches of most one-party states, including Russia and probably even North Korea. Names and titles don't change, just the people who wield predominant power. I don't think there is any question that Ballard is doing far more than his rank in the Q12 would justify.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.