Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:10PM

I just read that Beck has done what others have been hoping for a long time; he has silenced himself! Glenn, it seems, has been talking too much and damaged his vocal chords. He now has to keep quiet for a month under his doctor's care. That has got to be almost an impossible task. Will he he make a full recovery? Has he called on his HT to give him a blessing? Perhaps coating his vocal cords with consecrated olive oil will heal his malady. At least he will be off air for a month and silence is golden.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:12PM

God exists. This is proof.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:13PM

yay !

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:36PM

Maybe he should gargle with blessed olive oil....

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:57PM

Justice would be served if there is permanent damage.

Now if Rush Limbaugh would only suffer similar fate.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:07PM

Lessee, alcoholism,

Family history of sexual abuse,

appendicitis attack a few years ago,

adrenal fatigue a year or so ago...

Now vocal cord paralysis...

What's next in his attention craving parade of owies and boo-boos?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:11PM

maybe LD$ Inc. will send some missionaries to him to give him a blessing.

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:17PM

Vocal chords are a main tool of broadcasters. Yet, when I hear some of them become raspy from over-use, and realize that they are not taking a lozenge...I become very uncomfortable. They think that filling live-air time is of greater import than prudent care for their most vital employment instrument.

Few organs are as vulnerable to abuse as are the human vocal chords. Once damaged, careers are destroyed. This tragedy is completely avoidable. When speaking is impaired, even a little, STOP. STOP. STOP.

Look at how fragile the vocal chords are! They do not have the complete protection like a heart, which never needs to fear breathing, swallowing, or the many excesses of the throat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Vocal+Chords,+images&biw=1600&bih=772&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yNKaVY6vONWuyASW1IbYCg&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Date: July 06, 2015 03:23PM

Hers was a deep and rare wisdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoXHfNGtccc

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:42PM

It is also wise to heed what your own body is telling you if your voice starts to go wonky.

I found out that plain, unsweetened, organic soymilk (I am now back to organic dairy milk)...and also Trader Joe's Simply Almonds, Cashews & Cranberries Trek Mix (I think it was the canola, and/or the sunflower oil)...were paralyzing my vocal cords.

It took a few weeks of zero intake of both of these, but my vocal cords are now back to normal.

If your vocal cords start to go weird on you, consider carefully what is going DOWN your throat (although it may be happening from your stomach UP, also).

You may be either "allergic" (layperson's term) to something, or you may have---over time---built up an intolerance to something.

I drank soymilk, and ate this particular Trader Joe's trail mix, for several years without any problems.

And then, over a fairly short period of time, my ability to voice sounds was becoming really weirdly impaired (in ways that had never happened to me before).

All is back to normal now...but it took two or three months to get back to normal.

P.S. I am still okay with tofu, etc. It was the soy "milk" that was causing the problem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 04:40PM by tevai.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:02PM

Excellent advice. I had a viral infection of the vocal chords, voice has never been the same. I mostly shut up, but still had to talk at work. Bad idea, it took 16 weeks to heal.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:59PM

Beck is so full of shit.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:13PM

Glenn loves history according to him. I wonder if he has ever done any actual historical research about Joe. Maybe we should all start sending him factual info. I would if I had the means to actually contact him.

He might return to alcoholism if he actually deciphered the truth from it though.

Posted by: WilfordRuffWood ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:16PM

Beck and Limbaugh are great Americans!! Their positions correspond with those of our founders. If your want to stay free and enjoy a strong economy stay tuned. Just because they are not big on gay marriage does not negate the rest of their message. Why are gay people usually liberals. I don't get it.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 03:21AM

"Their positions correspond with those of our founders. If your want to stay free and enjoy a strong economy stay tuned."

BULLSHIT!!! If you really believe this, then go live in Utah and be a Mormon. You'll have lots of company.

They don't represent the views of the founders. Hell, the founders themselves disagreed with each other strongly on a wide range of issues. So how could they represent their views?

What they really represent is the views of some fictionalized, sanitized version of the founders.

Date: July 06, 2015 04:19PM

Criticizing is the most caustic thing a person can do. Glenn has done his share of criticizing. So have I. So have many of you. But Glenn is an authentic soul. He is trying. He is learning. He is growing. He is well aware of the posts herein. He is struggling to be real. He is admirable more often than almost any other living voice I know.

Go easy on him, as the near future will show you the stuff of which he is really made. Glenn works hard to be useful, valuable and fresh. How many people can you list that perform as kaleidoscopically as he?

https://www.google.com/search?q=quotes+about+critics,+images&biw=1600&bih=772&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eOCaVZ_vC4fJtQXCtLHQDw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

I once walked into a very poor village and met with a family with six girls who were so beautiful that my heart leapt to help them. I offered the mother to pay for their schooling. This seemed no heroic act, as their schooling needs would cost less than $10 per month.

The mother informed me that World Vision had come to visit two years earlier, and had given each of her daughters Sponsors who would assist in their schooling needs for two years. She therefore refused my aid.

Her honesty and the pure gift of the strangers who would never meet these children so impressed me.

Some people are good. Some organizations are trustworthy. Be one of them. Establish more of them.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:31PM

He must not be too silent because he took part with the huge non-demonational mega-church this past weekend. One of my daughter's friend attends this church and tweeted "Glenn Beck would be the best high school history teacher ever". Gag

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:33PM

Seen from any part of the world other than the USA - and I suspect, for most people within its borders - he spouts a load of nonsense.

There are two courses of action he could take to become acceptable to normal human beings:

1) He could start spouting sense or

2) He could stop spouting.

In the absence of any sign or even probability of 1), I'll take 2) any time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 04:33PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: DeMormonized ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 05:14PM

Begging people to not criticize is the clarion call of the LDS church. ("Don't criticize the 'brethren', even if they are wrong".)

If someone hadn't criticized, LDS would still be practicing plural marriage and polyandry AND marrying little girls.

If someone hadn't criticized the LDS church, they'd STILL not allow black men to hold the Penishooy.

If someone hadn't criticized slavery...(well...you get the picture).

I submit that without constructive criticism, or at least vehement questioning of the status quo, the result would likely be ZERO PROGRESS.

The LDS church is not a safe haven for the critic/questioner, and until that changes LDS mindset will remain stuck at least 50 years in the past.

If Beck want's to "grow" he needs to start questioning his church as pointedly as he questions government. If not, he'll remain irrelevant...at least to ME.

Posted by: WilfordRuffWood ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:00PM

When the founding fathers appeared to me in the St. George Temple they explained that history does indeed repeat itself because of human nature. There will always be those who want all wealth and all power over the rest of us. Joseph Smith was one of those as was Mao, Stalin, Hitler and Isis. I have been a student of history all of my life and was in step with Glen and Rush long before anyone had ever heard of them. They will lead you unto all truth! Except for 2% now and then.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:30PM

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:19PM

I prefer Jeff too. He ain't superstitious.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:59PM

Maybe he should gargle with blessed olive oil....

Maybe he should gargle with arsenic....

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:33PM

Would that Gawd had the wisdom to shut me up.

Strong vocal chords notwithstanding I wish to add my big mouth to those who listen and truly hear.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.