Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmopatriot ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:19AM

The History Channel had this great piece on "Washington the Warrior" over the weekend. It was quite good. I marveled at the man - George Washington. I already knew he was he was a good man - a patriot. I didn't know how brave, courgeous, and all-giving he was in his fight for democracy. Many eastern history professors from colleges gave special insight and background in this documentary. I was almost brought to tears hearing about him riding to the front lines to rally the troops early on - facing certain death. I awed at how when digging in at York Town he was shoulder to shoulder with a shovel with his men on the front lines. His devotion at Valley Forge was amazing. I was impressed how he handed over his power at the end to congress.

I compared and contrasted this man to Joseph Smith. How did I ever rever a man like Joseph Smith all those years? For once I experienced true reverence and devotion for a great man - George Washington - the warrior, patriot, and leader. The early colonies were getting their asses whipped time and time again, and if wasn't for his leadership and preserverance, we may not have survived as a new nation. When I see tid-bits of the Joseph Smith Papers documented in the dramatic film's that TSCC puts out, I see the same type of format in the documentary, i.e. the music, the reverance, the professors/experts that come out to defend Joseph Smith. What a laugh. Mormons are not patriots in my book, not when they worship Joseph Smith, who had aims of taking over the United States.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:26AM

Yes, George was courageous and devoted to the cause, and there probably wouldn't be a United States without him.

But as for "revering..." Let's not forget he owned slaves, and even whipped/beat them himself. He was more than a little vain. He had plenty of other faults.

Those faults don't take away from his achievements, but they do (or should) moderate absolute reverence for him -- or any other man or woman. He was human, you're human, he's not "higher up" than you or me or anyone else. Neither was Smith (not by a long shot).

My point is, elevating people as worthy of worship, while apparently something we humans instinctually do, isn't a very good idea. We can learn from the good/useful things they do, but in every case they've also got some bad traits, dirty laundry, etc. In the end, we're all just humans...we can learn from each other, but to worship one of us, even to promote one of us to "big time role model," is a bit silly, and involves ignoring facts.

Posted by: Exmopatriot ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:39AM

Clarification:

I was not elevating George Washington as worthy of worship..lol.

By revere, I strictly mean, "feel deep respect or admiration for." I do not worship any man, nor did I ever worship Joseph Smith. I do rever George Washington in the context that I have explained, even despite his slave ownership.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:51AM

Exmopatriot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By revere, I strictly mean, "feel deep respect or
> admiration for." I do not worship any man, nor
> did I ever worship Joseph Smith. I do rever
> George Washington in the context that I have
> explained, even despite his slave ownership.

I get it :)

There's been a trend over the past 20-30 years of new biographies coming out for many "founding fathers." Really good, honest, no holds barred biographies, that detail all the warts and failures right along with the successes. I'm really pleased with that trend. Frankly, I find these men (and women!) far more fascinating as human beings who overcome human frailties to do good things than as whitewashed "heroes" with the bad stuff hidden away. It helps me connect to them more as human beings. And it's far more honest than what has been taught about them for a long time.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:11PM

He definitely makes a better role model and is a heck of a lot more inspirational leading this country than Joe Smith was leading the church he founded.

Smith was all about self-worship and being idolized. A pure narcissist through and through.

Washington was for the greater good, and envisioned a nation that he helped give birth to. The fact he worked toward this goal, and led men to war to fight for our fledgling liberties is still reverberating through the annals of time.

Joe doesn't hold a candle compared to George Washington.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:16PM

George is legal tender, Joe's a weak pretender.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:39PM

Clever.

Posted by: Ward Librarian ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:36PM

You may find the following very enlightening:

https://youtu.be/vkwZDRB3tZo

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 07:47PM

George Washington was a terrible general as far as winning battles went. If not for the sailors in his army who had such great skill with rowboats, his army could have been destroyed on several occasions.

But George Washington was totally dedicated to the cause. He had great charisma, perseverance, patience, and courage. He managed to keep the army from deserting en mass, starving to death, and freezing to death. He managed to get Congress to provide just enough supplies to keep things going.

So in spite of his ineptness with strategy and tactics, he preserved an army in being. Some theorize that none of the other available leaders present at the time could have done as good of a job as Washington did.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:35PM

Well, George never said he talked with God and Jesus, and they didn't tell him all the other countries were wrong and he should restore the Only True Country.

So he's got that going for him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.