Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon... ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:45AM

Besides Scott, does anyone have any info on the health of the remaining 13? I was talking to a TBM friend over the weekend that knows most of the apostles, father is a 70 (possible canididate for the 12), etc... He said he thinks a few more will kick the bucket before October. I don't know if he's just basing that on age, assuming their hearts can't handle the exuberance from Boyd's passing, etc... I'd be suprised if they're calling 5-6 new apostles in October, but this guy does have a lot of inside info. Maybe he's just hoping his dad finally gets invited to the big show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:45PM

Scott's been having problems lately, and Hales has been noticeably older and weaker at the last couple of conferences.

Holland looks like he could drop dead any minute now.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:49PM

Holland has his anger to keep him going. He feeds upon CES meetings to fire him up.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:02PM

I don't know... Packer had all that anger to keep him going, too, but the Devil claimed him, anyway, right during his prime. He didn't even make it to 95. Kind of embarrassing, if you ask me, for such a faithful young pup like him to succumb to illness when he was so tight with God.

Date: July 06, 2015 05:05PM

He did have Polio as a kid.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:58PM

Hound dog jowels? I doubt it. I'll go with TSM

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:43PM

Yes, even though Hales is a young pup by LDS apostle standards (82, right?), he has looked at the last two conferences like he was about to croak right on stage. And yeah, Monson looks terrible. I'd say one of those two.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:54PM

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be too suprising is Monson, Hales, and Scott all died before October. Then what? They wouldn't even have a complete quorum to select the five replacements.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 05:40PM

At what point to they cease to have a quorum? Right now there are two vacancies but if Monson dies, they will again have twelve with the dissolution of the FP. But if another apostle dies and then Monson, neither the FP nor the Q12 will be whole!

If, perchance, the entire quorums were to die (such as a fatal disease), what is the plan of TSCC?

Date: July 06, 2015 05:43PM

rhgc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If, perchance, the entire quorums were to die
> (such as a fatal disease), what is the plan of
> TSCC?

My great uncle pose this question in a book.

http://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Why-Oh-God-Fictional/dp/1412043379#reader_1412043379

Seems to be what might happen.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:15PM

I'm sorry, did I miss something? I read two individuals talking

About Scott like he is alive and functioning. You do know that

He is dearly departed as of last month???

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:44AM

According to the Wikipedia, Apostle Scott is still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_G._Scott

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:57PM

so you are asking when god will stop taking out the trash ?

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 05:44PM

This came up at family dinner yesterday, I asked for bets on the next one. My TBM brother bit, everyone else ignored me. I found it amusing.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 05:57PM

I am so out of touch with the Mormon hierarchy that I don't even know who is in the running for moving on up the career ladder. Been out since the early 90s and I don't give a darn about who they throw in there to the shore up the sinking ship.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 03:19AM

I'm also out of touch with the hierarchy that I have no clue who is next now that Packer is gone, nor have I given that much thought since when I resigned, Hinkely was still very much in charge. My guess is that Monson will probably go next, since he also didn't look that well at the last conference. Either way, when you have living fossils who are out of touch running things, they're going to continue to drop like flies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 03:20AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:00PM

I don't know anything about the condition of the top 13, but I am predicting that Bednar will be the grand poo-bah within 10 years of today.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:52PM

And I predict that if Bednar becomes president at age 72, he will mysteriously die in a hospital within two years. A president that young (by Mormon standards) is a huge threat to the real estate executives and the older apostles.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:04PM

Maybe they'll all give each other some fatal disease.

Date: July 06, 2015 10:59PM

An STD?

Posted by: Lush NLI ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:51AM

The Prophet has aides you know? Having aides is cool. Magic Johnson has aides too.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:03AM

It would NOT be possible for me to CARE LESS.

I just don't give a S*%&*.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 10:05AM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:08PM

If you're a TBM, then it will be whoever god needs to off before Monson to get the next Profit in line and move everybody up one spot. With Packer (#2) and Perry (#3) gone, then if he wants Nelson to be Profit, then Monson is next. Or, he may decide to take Nelson next, and move Oaks to #2 before taking Monson.

I think Oaks (currently #3), and Ballard (currently #4) are both chomping at the bit to move up. They have been waiting 31 and 30 years respectively to become Profit.

God completely skipped the apostles appointed in the 70s. Monson was in 1963, and now with the two surviving appointed in the 70s gone (Packer and Perry), you go 21 years to Nelson and Oaks, both appointed in 1984.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 07:09AM

Even hereditary monarchy makes more sense than a tontine succession system.

The current system guarantees stagnation at the top. Nelson is now the heir apparent, but he'll be 91 before GC. Do you really want a church that is stagnating run by someone born when Calvin Coolidge was President?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 03:32AM

Another way to put this:

Which of the apostles will God keep from becoming the president?

I can picture Elohim cackling, "Ha-ha-ha, not you, Boyd."

Date: July 08, 2015 03:47AM

There are two situations that guarantee frustration in climbing the Priesthood Pyramid. One is being right behind an apostle appointed at a young age. That would describe both JFS and Packer. The other situation is being right behind someone who refuses to die. Hinckley was hugely frustrating to all the men behind him. Knowing just a bit about his character, he must have chuckled at that from time to time.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 03:54AM

I'm surprised they're not poisoning each other. I guess they do have a bit of ethics.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 07:06AM

Nelson is the new Prince of Wails. At 90, he cannot have too many years left in him.

If Monson goes, are they going to hand the reins and the reign over to someone who will be 91 by the next GC?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 07:20AM

Yep. They will.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 07:58AM

I'm sure Nelson will die before Monson. Even though Monson is diabetic, 87, and clearly going senile, Nelson is 91. Although he looks remarkably healthy for a nonagenarian.

Oaks will be President for a long time, all the Apostles between him and Holland are 82 and older, so they'll probably die. Then it'll be Holland (he's only 74), and assuming no one lives until they're 98 like Hinckley, I think Bednard will be at the top for a good decade or so. He's only 63. With the exception of their being some remarkably long-lived apostle, I bet he'll be on the throne within 15 years, Because by then, Monson would be 102 (dead), Nelson 105 (most certainly dead) Oaks would be 97 (Probably dead) Ballard and Scott both 101, Hales 97 (and as people pointed out, he looks like he's in poor health).

So then there is Holland to contend with, who would be 89, and then Eyring, who would be 97 and probably dead, and Deiter, who looks remarkably healthy, would be 90.

What I think is clear, is that given the average age of the senior 10 or so apostles, is that most of them will be dead within the next 10-15 years, paving the way for Bednard to be in Charge for a long while. He was ordained when he was 52, the youngest since Oaks, and the apostle(s) closest to him in age are Uchtdorf and Holland, who are over a decade older.

The younger you get ordained, the more likely you are to be prophet. Gordo got called at 51, Monson at 36, and he was in charge of the Morg at 78. I doubt he'll lived to be 97 like Hinckley, I'd be really suprised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 08:01AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 08:34AM

I really wish someone would take the video footage of the Q15 and make a Game of Thrones episode with them all plotting each others downfall.

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 09:21AM

I thought that I remembered that Nelson and Oaks were called on the same day. I just checked Wikipedia, and they have them both called on April 7, 1984. If that is true, I guess that Nelson was given seniority as he is older. Wouldn't that just piss you off if you were Oaks, and never got to be the top dog only because Nelson was older at the time you were both called?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.