Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:17AM

so we resigned formally in May, received our letters, and this past week we got a letter from this dude who's apparently "our bishop" (quotations cause I don't recognize his authority.)

He's very polite but basically confirms "with great sadness" that our names and those of our children are removed from the Church's records and then proceeds to remind us of cancelled temple blessings, my hubby's magic powers are no longer in effect, and then bears a three paragraph testimony!! Like in my 27 years LDS I've never heard a testimony, snort!

This guy has all the bishop responsibilities plus his real family plus his real job...he really needs to let go, if he's sending letters to every one who resigns in his ward boundaries.

I'm not upset, i just find it amusing and pathetic. After 27 years and all I've learned about the scam that is the LDS faith that a garden variety testimony is going to bring me back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:20AM

Remember, fear tactics!

That's really all these power mongers know. And he didn't get to be a bishop without knowing some power mongering.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:23AM

Okay, He's done his part. Gawd will now hold him blameless since you have chosen to go to hell. Pathetic is right and arrogant.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:25AM

I would love to see the letter with your personal information redacted...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:39AM

I've read here. He can either send you a letter or show up to talk to you. Mine showed up, but he is a good friend and he brought a cinnamon roll. Told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it as he had watched all that had transpired in my life for years.

The testimony. Well, the last bishop when I requested no more HTs, he started bearing his testimony to me in e-mails. One of the things he wrote was that he remembers me walking by his home on the way to church. I reminded him that those days when he saw me walking to church, he was usually mowing his lawn.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:54AM

What

How long were you in and how long between the time you found happiness and sent in the letter?

Posted by: Tonto ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:16AM

If you're not inclined to give it the attention is deserves by throwing it away, you have another option.

Mail it back to him. Include a note: "I can see that your testimony means a lot to you, so I'm returning it. It means nothing to me. Please don't contact me again. I resigned to get away from this and to not be bothered by you."

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:08PM

"I can see that your testimony means a lot to you, so I'm returning it."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:55AM

Maybe he was just catching up on his paperwork. Bishops are supposed to send a letter like that when they first receive resignation notices.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:48PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe he was just catching up on his paperwork.
> Bishops are supposed to send a letter like that
> when they first receive resignation notices.

Yes, and a letter takes less time than a personal visit...:)
He was being "dutiful" but not caring, and took the path of least resistance.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:15PM

for some bizarre reason I'm inclined to return the letter and include a bulletpoint list of the damning evidence that shows that the LDS faith is total crappola.

But then the smarter part of me chimes in: "he's heard it a million times before being bishop and all."

sometimes that "gotta save people from this cult that I've escaped" instinct kicks in!!

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:02PM

Spend your time doing something fun and productive. Ignore it.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:13PM

Ignore him.

Sometimes "ghosting" people is the best response.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:16PM

The standard procedure is for church representatives to send you two letters after you formally resign. The first letter explains that it is a local ecclesiastical matter (that the bishop will be handling,) and that you will lose all "blessings" associated with church membership.

The second letter confirms that your name has been removed from the church rolls.

If you already got both of these letters, and this is a *further* communication from your bishop, I would recommend that you complain to the Member Records department in SLC about it. As a former member, you have a right not to be harassed by church representatives. This was established by a court case. The Member Records department is well aware that further harassment subjects the church to lawsuit, and they will make sure that the local bishop toes the line.

If you want to spot him this one time, then ignore the letter. But if he attempts to contact you again, definitely complain to the higher-ups.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:25PM

TBMs love to slap exmos with the last word.

You get the last laugh, though. You're free!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:39PM

I am going to suggest another response.

Send him "your testimony" saying how full and happy your life is and would he like to know how his life can have the same enjoyment? If his answer is yes, well, you will be happy to fill him in on the details of how this happiness can be his.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.