Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:05AM

Dear Brethren and Sistern,

The recent passings of two apostles, Elder Perry and President Packer, prompt me to ask a question.

For those here who believe in some kind of afterlife, do you have any thoughts as to what these latter-day apostles might have experienced as they entered the after-death realm? I imagine answers could range all the way from a few TBMs here affirming that they are finding the afterlife to be exactly as taught by Joseph Smith and other prophets of the Church. And then on the other end of the spectrum, the few Evangelical Christians here might be convinced that both of these men are now beginning their eternity in Hell for having been part of, and promoted, an essentially non-Christian cult.

Probably the majority of afterlife believers here would imagine an experience different from the two viewpoints above?

What do you think?

Yours fraternally,

Common Gentile

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:27AM

If you're an atheist then you believe they're consigned to be stardust and oblivion but a Christian might believe, whether they're forgiven or not, it will be someplace where they can't meddle in anothers happiness. A place where their only influence is in proportion to any good intentions they might still possess.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:45AM

I believe like Jewish wisdom teaches, that those who are to be saved in the afterlife are those who are among the righteous on earth. That doesn't matter what religion one ascribes to, if any. In proportion to one's righteousness, (not self-righteousness, smugness, or holier-than-thou status,) they are saved. And so could be an atheist, agnostic, Catholic, Buddhist, Muslim, Jew, Sikh, whatever. It is said scripturally God looks upon the heart, not the outward appearances of mankind. If we are to be judged, I believe it's on the condition of our heart (soul, conscience.)

My leanings teach that it's enough to worry about this life, and that the afterlife will take care of itself. A life well lived leaves little room for doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 09:46AM by amyjo.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:58AM

They will make it to the after life like everyone else.

They will go through a life review and have to 'feel the damage/impact they had on others ---- good and bad' as part of their learning process.

At times like this I wish there was a hell but 'karma' makes up for it I guess in the multiple lives (good and bad) for their souls/soul groups.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:52PM

Brother spiritist,

Let's assume for a moment a Mormon Apostle was absolutely convinced with every fiber of his being that the Mormon Church is absolutely "true" -- priesthood, restoration, Temple work, sealings, three degrees of glory, multiple gods, etc. etc. (This could well have been the case for President Packer and Elder Perry.)

Let's also assume that one version of the "spiritist" conception of the afterlife is what actually happens. So this absolutely convinced Apostle at death travels through the tunnel into another dimension of existence and immediately encounters a "spirit guide" who tells him that after a life review, the guide and the deceased Apostle will plan together how long that Apostle will remain in the afterlife realms before reincarnating into another mortal body -- the nature of that incarnation being determined by the Apostle's karma.

Do you (or anyone else here) think that the spirit of the deceased Apostle would be utterly emotionally devastated by such an experience immediately after death?

Common Gentile

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:47PM

Brother Commongentile,

I think your assumption is totally ridiculous ------ for someone who went by the term 'prophet, seer, revelator and special witness for Jesus Christ (who was a man not God)' and who made so much money for himself and set up his kids and friends in good jobs ----- no way he would not have got the clue that the church was a SCAM on the devoted in many ways but possibly a good thing in other ways!

However, it doesn't matter. I cannot judge what they knew or didn't or what they planned to accomplish on earth this incarnation. They will go to the spirit world and be met by their spirit guide, friends and families and will remember what they knew before. They will know all about life reviews by the council of elders.

Whatever they did or didn't do will not be that 'devastating' for very long in my view. Just show where they are in their progression. By the way, there are always some people taking advantage of many others in one way or another ----- that's what life on this earth is all about at this point in this world's progression.

As far as their souls reincarnating ---- yes they will gladly do it pretty much as urged by spirit guides and council of elders whether it be a 'great' or 'bad' life (if we could use those terms as we see it) as it will be what those souls 'need' to progress. These incarnations are like movie scripts and okay we make bad choices so we get another shot big deal.

The terms I/you used are really not applicable to spirits and the after life ---- its more of 'I chose this action instead of that and made that decision instead of that one' and not so much drama!

Posted by: Blackheart440 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:12PM

If there is a hell. I hope they are going there.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:25PM

Packer's in Mormon hell, which is seeing groups and rows of young virgins walking toward you, yet never reaching you, never hooking up for eternal making of babies. See her Boyd? She's right there! Reaching out to you! She's just your type, too! She wants you; you want her! D'oh! She's gone. But there's another one, right there!

I can't be sure, but I think that each time one of the virgins escapes his grasp, there is a little disappointed WHOOP-whoop-woo noise like when you die in a Pac Man game.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:44PM

I love the Pac Man analogy; the virgins are the fast moving cherries that drop in, but they move much too fast to ever catch. The ‘bits’ he eats with his voracious and endless appetite are tithing dollars, and the large glowing ‘bits’ make his head swell to three times its size, and then he feels invincible for a few egotistical moments.

Yes, I’m picturing a Pac Man afterlife for the ‘Pack Man.’ Endless, mind numbing Pac Man, until he can't stand it anymore; but it just keeps going, forever. :)

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:16PM

How stupid of me! I seriously did not see the Pack Man pun. Or the cherry metaphor. But real God does not infringe on copyright laws or not-very-intellectual property, so the virgins are not cherries in Mormon hell. Instead, they are cupcakes with actual icing still on them.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:57PM

Elder Packer is learning that in the afterlife gay polygamy is the highest level of gloria one can reach.

http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=206869

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:16PM

Lol, I thought of starting a similar post this morn.

As a believer in the afterlife, these are my thoughts.

A real prophet is repulsed by false prophets

A real apostle is repulsed by false apostles

A victim is repulsed by victimizers

A giver is repulsed by takers

An empathetic person is repulsed by unempathetic persons

An honest person is repulsed by liers

Repentant people are repulsed by unrepentant people

Real prophets see right through false prophets and will not live in the same kingdom, place, area... as each other.

I really don't see why BKP has any hope in existing in the afterlife with real prophets. In fact I believe that victims demand justice in the afterlife. All the victims of BKP will stand in front of of him and expect that he suffers like they did. All the young men that have been shamed and psychologically damaged by him will expect he suffers like they did.

Eye for an eye is still in force, and can only be washed away by the atonement. BKP should have repented before he died.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:38PM

6 iron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BKP should have
> repented before he died.

They don't apologize even to God.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:40PM

did they get past joe smith on their way to heaven ?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 07:02PM

I hope they are with JS rotting in misery!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.