Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:02PM

"A court in Canada has upheld the denial of accreditation to a Christian law school, holding the private school’s prohibition of homosexual behavior is sufficiently discriminatory that its degrees can be invalidated for that reason alone."

Due to the denial of accreditation, graduates of the school are not allowed to practice law in the province of Ontario.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/04/canada-court-rules-right-to-gay-sex-trumps-religious-liberty/#ixzz3eyDmQwgk

Canada has had legalized gay marriage for the past decade. I wonder if this court decision is a harbinger of things to come down the road for the U.S. as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 08:03PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:12PM

The school, Trinity Western University has always taught a very narrow view on things. I think it`s the only Christian university in western Canada with a law school. Never could figure out why anyone would go there when there exist some very good, full accredited universities in BC and here in Alberta. I went to high school with a lot of kids from staunch Mennonite families and their parents made them go to bible school for a couple years after high school or be disowned and shunned. Another fucking cult.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:23AM

That court victory is largely symbolic and hypothetical. It looks like a ban in BC or Alberta would be the only way to really hurt them. I'll stay tuned for more news about banned law schools...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:13AM

If I read the article correctly, they don't yet have a law school and there aren't yet any graduates (who can't practice law in specific provinces). They're trying to make a new law school, but are being denied accreditation.

Not sure the legal reasoning in the decision would fly in the US. Canada doesn't have our constitution after all...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.