Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:19PM

Why no accurate, specific forecasts of upcoming disasters--earthquakes, tornadoes, plane crashes, etc.--instead of using up their precious gifts on slightly less important subjects, like which Hollywood power couples will separate next year?

It's always puzzled me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:30PM

If they exist, "psychic powers" are particularly "unpredictable and erratic" in when they "operate," and if "doomsayers" were always predicting catastrophes and most of them didn't happen, they would be ostracized from regular society rather quickly. There's also the option that authentic psychics may not wish to "come forward" with their "revelations" because of their own human shortcomings.

There are other alternative possibilities (like it may be possible--I'm skeptical of this, of course--to "read minds" and determine which Hollwood couples are secretly dissatisfied in their relationships). This is just a bit of a twist on Devil's Advocate stuff...

That's just something I'll toss into the mix; I'll have to remain a bit cryptic and circumspect on my own beliefs because it might amount to "intellectual suicide" to say otherwise. I'll just say I've seen enough that there are those "coincidences" I haven't been able to explain, and I remain somewhat of a "hopeful optimist" that they are within the realm of possibility.

/cue up the Twilight Zone theme

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:38PM

Cause it's smoke and mirrors.

RB

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:41PM

I've asked this here before, without much of any answers, so I'll do so again:

WHY should claimed "psychic" abilities be so "unpredictable and erratic?" If they're real, why aren't they repeatable, consistent, and regular? Or even somewhat so? Why, every time an objective test is set up that would really show "something" was going on, and chance/fraud are eliminated, do they fail?

The absolute BEST the "psychic/paranormal" community has ever managed to come up with with regard to actual testing is a machine, supposedly influenced by "telekinesis," that showed about a 1% deviation from 'expected chance' over a limited number of runs. That's it.

Please note I'm not saying "there's no such thing." Only that there isn't any evidence to show there is. But my question remains: if it's real, why so erratic and so poorly performing on tests designed to show it's real?

Date: July 04, 2015 08:53PM

I remember reading about that telekinesis-test machine. Like you say, it really never was tested fully. Until tests like these are done repeatedly by different groups in different labs following rigorous, scientific protocol, even an "actual" psychic effect (that 1% deviation seems more like a margin of error) has to be looked at skeptically.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:24PM

Look up the website for retired Maj Ed "Dr Doom" Dames. Try to contact him via email etc. and please share what you ask and how he answers. Maybe he can give you info to support his high self reported 'hit' rate.

He was a trained remote viewer/psychic and worked for Army and Cia and now does contract/consultant work for CIA, US govt., foreign govts., etc.

He has a lot of information and predictions on the web and somewhere claims 'his group' had a 90-100% rate at predictions he has done for governments ----- I think he is talking about things not involving points in time. As he now admits time is difficult to id in the 'universal conscious'. He admitted this after some of his predictions did not occur when he guessed they would.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:48PM

There are plenty of "psychics" making predictions for many governments and on the web but I am not going to do the research for you because there are some quacks also.

Also, be aware 'psychics' who contract for governments are not called 'psychics' but could be called consultants, remote viewers, visual viewers, etc. Who wants to admit your money is paying 'psychics, mediums, past life regression hypnotists' etc.?

There are also psychics trying to find abducted/missing kids and working with police ---- but you probably never hear of them as they/psychics are taboo in the press and government!

I am not sure you want to hear a prediction that appears to have Washington pols taking action ------ not to save the people but themselves. Of course others could tie the actions they are taking to other things.

I suggest you study psychics then research on the web what various psychics are predicting. Then decide for yourself what appears to be valid and what appears to not be.

I will warn you that even good psychics have a hard time with time (time is meaningless in the 'universal conscious'). So they do have ways to predict things like major disasters but they usually have to tie multiple events together and say well this will happen then after this then watch out as that should occur. Any psychic with a specific date are likely quacks!

Note: I have 'played' with psychics and related methods of getting this information. I was astounded by what I got, however, it was not 100%, and I was not good at getting sufficient facts to help anyone but myself when applicable.

I dropped periodically predicting daily events for awhile as I am playing with other techniques and interests thinking if I have a larger background it will eventually help in every aspect of psychics. I am still very much in this process but definitely have not arrived to claim anything other than it does seem to work but I can't give you a % for me at this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 08:34PM by spiritist.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:49PM

None? Who would believe such a prediction--and move to a different state, book a different flight, etc.? Would you? Think of all the company lawsuits against doomsayers hurting their businesses.

And why just bad stuff that triggers fear? And would people really want to know the bad things in their future? What about the verifiable info on smoking, drinking, eating fried foods, driving cars, and other things? People think, "Not me" or would rather enjoy themselves in the present. It seems that before there could be a general trusting of psychic predictions, there would have to be mainstream common acceptance that "the future" exists in the present, that people can have concrete foresight, and most importantly that they can voluntarily change their personalities, habits, and behaviors. A whole different concept of what the world and our appearance in it are.

If they could, why aren't they doing so right now? As Col. Slade (Al Pacino) said in "Scent of a Woman,""...Now I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard."

People aren't ready to really let reason control their lives--not compartmentalized reason, but all-encompassing: that is, hold their entire life up to scrutiny and really do what they KNOW. If they can't do that, why would they rearrange their lives according to what some unknown person 'said'?

Date: July 04, 2015 08:22PM

"Who would believe such a prediction?" I would, and so would everyone else, if an individual psychic, or group of psychics, started giving specific, verifiable information about future events (like disasters), and did so on a regular, recurring basis--and their predictions were borne out through time.

That's the problem: psychics DON'T make these kinds of objectively verifiable predictions in any reliable way. So what are we to think?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:00PM

If they were so good they'd win every lottery.

Just like the religious healers, if they really heal, why don't they set up shop in a medical office? Why? because they don't heal and psychics don't get specific on what they have in store for your future. They are just like horoscopes.

It isn't good to be gullible.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:10PM

I posted so close in time. Great minds think alike!

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:08PM

For the same reason psychics never win the lottery, duh! And they always have excuses galore. No psychic worth their salt is ever without some handy dandy excuses that will assuage the doubts of the gullible.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:11AM

And gullibly cling to their Christianity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.