Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 05:31PM

I think this story is interesting ------ doesn't prove but does infer the mind can be fully alive and aware when the body is not.

Does this appear like proof of anything or just an interesting phenom?

http://www.youngcons.com/man-awakens-12-years-vegetative-state-says-will-blow-mind/

Sorry for not posting story first round!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 06:10PM by spiritist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 05:45PM

What story?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 05:54PM

Link please!!

Date: July 04, 2015 07:59PM

Have edited and posted link ----- sorry I had another project going on that I was more worried about.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:13PM

This has nothing to do with a mind separated from a body. The young man was simply paralyzed (except for his eyes, at first), while his mind was apparently functioning normally. It is an interesting story, though.

More info on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Pistorius

Date: July 06, 2015 11:20AM

I don't see how it gives any such insight.
This is a physical ailment, and damage to particular regions of the brain causes it -- while the rest of the brain functions.

"Unlike persistent vegetative state, in which the upper portions of the brain are damaged and the lower portions are spared, locked-in syndrome is caused by damage to specific portions of the lower brain and brainstem, with no damage to the upper brain."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome

How do you see this as "giving insight into the separation of mind and body?" In this case, the brain (not "mind") can't communicate with the nerve system that drives voluntary motion...

Date: July 06, 2015 12:29PM

I guess I never heard a story before like this. 2 points:

--- His 'conscious/mind' was not there for 2 years while his body was alive.

--- Then his 'conscious' was there and “My mind was trapped inside a useless body, my arms and legs weren’t mine to control and my voice was mute. I couldn’t make a sign or sounds to let anyone know I’d become aware again. I was invisible—the ghost boy.” ----- his conscious returned while his body was still very much out of it.

So he indicated he (his consciousness/mind) seemed separate from his body as his mind seemed normal and his body non responsive.

The real story would have been if he remembered what his 'consciousness' was doing for the 2-years but that was not part of the story so I won't speculate. However, his 'consciousness' did not die but did seem to him to go away then come back.

Proves nothing but interesting story.

Date: July 06, 2015 12:39PM

spiritist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The real story would have been if he remembered
> what his 'consciousness' was doing for the 2-years
> but that was not part of the story so I won't
> speculate. However, his 'consciousness' did not
> die but did seem to him to go away then come back.

Or not functioning, then functioning.
When in a coma, "consciousness" doesn't "go" anywhere. The brain is just not functioning in a way to produce it. When/if that changes, it functions again. Even if the connections to the nervous system that allow for body movement are non-functioning.

Date: July 06, 2015 12:59PM

Some of his interesting statements ----

Pistorius believes that he began regaining consciousness around age 16 (around 1992),[9] during which time he was able to sense the people around him but did not immediately recall previous events, something he has described as "a bit like a baby being born". (Wikipedia)

Amazing, interesting or just coincidental he is using such terms to describe his experience??

----- "mind trapped in a useless body" (from original story) ---- some believe our conscious is eternal and will continue to live after the body dies.

----- "a bit like a baby being born" ----- some believe that a baby's body is to some extent formed before 'spirit/consciousness' enters.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.