Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:46AM

Last night I had a long conversation with my friend who just learned that his daughter is a lesbian. After talking to me a couple of times, he and his wife sat down to do some serious research into the history and doctrine of the LDS church. They talked to me of how they had to stop multiple times to consider what they had just read and how it contradicted not only what they were taught in/by the church but also what they knew to be true in their own lives.

After giving a lot of thought to the matter, they have decided to tender their resignations from the LDS church. They can’t reconcile what they’ve always believed with what is going on in their own family. So they have decided that their family matters more than their church.

To make matters more interesting, they talked to their (mostly adult) children about what they have decided. To their surprise, their oldest son and his new wife have not been to church in over a year and have no interest in ever having anything to do with it again. So those are two more people who have decided to add their own resignations to the collection.

They said their other child – in Europe right now – just said she wanted to talk about it when she got home in a few weeks.
I am practically doing a “happy dance” over here right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:02AM

Even though they are strangers, it makes me so happy to hear of any parent caring that much about their gay child. Everything changes when you come to know and love someone gay. And luckily that led to everything changes because these people came to know and love the truth. You were a great friend.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:12AM

I wish that had been the case with my aunt & her gay brother. She was very ashamed of him. She even had him dead dunked, even though he's been exed for being gay & didn't believe at all while he was alive.

This is why I'll never be out to my "family".

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:32AM

I would adopt you if I could!

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:38AM

I care deeply for my daughter who's in a lesbian relationship. But her GF is a piece of crap, seriously. She has very little contact with us, she's on the wrong (east) coast, and we're very concerned. She looks glassy eyed, fake smile.
This is not cause for celebration. Can't decide what is worse:
Being brainwashed by a religion or an ideal....

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:52AM

I'm sorry to hear that she's not in a healthy relationship. I know this happens a lot (with hetero and same sex), but a lot of parents of gay kids in these relationships use it as reinforcement for their idea that homosexuality cannot yield happiness.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:21PM

Could you please explain what you mean by being brainwashed by an ideal?

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:40PM

Sonoma,
The ideal she got brainwashed with by the GF: that she would be happier as a lesbian.
Left her daughters/husband/dog behind.
They're young, 4&6, and don't understand why mommy left suddenly.
the dad is trying hard so they don't suffer with abandonment issues.
Anyone who pulls away a married person from their family is scum.

Date: July 04, 2015 03:52PM

I'm very sorry for your granddaughters.

One can certainly be authentic to their sexual orientation and remain a good mother.

Hopefully your daughter will be able to work through the difficult issues that would make her feel that she needed to take the action she did. She must have been suffering horribly.

Posted by: whoiam ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:39AM

This is a real post of hope. I worry for a young lad I know newly moved to the Morridor with his TBM family. I hope his parents and siblings will stand by him at the due time.

Date: July 04, 2015 12:19PM

Great news jamesL.

They are so lucky to have a friend like you.

Would live to read the details about which issues had the greatest impact, and what they said about them.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:43PM

Family first? They must have done their research:

Tithing
Obey the current brethren
More $, bldg., fast offerings, missionary fund, on and on
Church callings, endless meetings
Appearing righteous
Judging everyone else
FHE
Missions, children, senior
Temple charades
Genealogy
Children, other people's children-indoctrination
Husband or wife-keeping them hyper active in church crap

Please tell your friends they are loving and brave, and to continue telling their reasons for leaving: family first...

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:44PM

I just wish that everyone knew how hard it is to be GLBT in the church. Most members are just apathetic or use the "I have a gay" friend clause so somehow it excuses their religious belief.

Enough teens/Young adults have hurt themselves either through suicide, self-medicating w/drugs or alcohol or running away without parents knowing the real reason.

It usually takes a family member who comes out, or even a single/divorced mother to make those around the person realize how painful and hateful the corporation and its leaders can be.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:58PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:26PM

JamesL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So they have decided that their family matters more than their church.

That is how it should be, isn't it?

It is always nice when love, care, and consideration for family members and others trump the sayings of men.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 03:26PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.