Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:54AM

So lately I have been having canker sores back to back. I've always had them, but it used to be only a couple a year... Lately though it seems like I get 2-4 a month with only a couple days in between them.

They HURT.

My dentist told me it was probably stress related and gave me a special mouth rinse... however the problem persists.

I read online that alum is helpful in taking them away, so before bed I put some alum on a particularly large sore (it started out as three small ones but they morphed to one nasty one on my inner lip). And today I just woke up with my lip swollen to an alarming size.

Im calling off work right now and going to the clinic the second they open because these painful sores have been too much for the past 8 months.

They'll probably think im just trying to enjoy the holiday, I sent my manager a picture though to prove im not BSing him... Anyone else ever have a severe canker sore issue? Im pretty concerned...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 07:55AM by nonsequiter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:12AM

Yes, as a kid, I'd get them only once in a while, but badly enough that I couldn't eat. As a young mom, I got them ALL THE TIME. There wasn't a day that I didn't have at least one canker sore that I was trying to put salt on, favoring the side of my tongue, accidentally biting.... I also found a product available normally at the checkout at most stores... Cankaid.
It works WONDERS!

My doctors (not dentists, though I would probably ask an orthodontist, they are more specialized and also an MD) told me to take a Vit. B supplement. I can't remember if it was B12 or B6 which was the most vital, but Nature's Sunshine has a B complex that I used.

Also, I was tested for Vit. D levels and was found to be severely lacking (which is interesting because of the time I spend outside. Too much sunscreen I guess), and I am now taking 1000 units a day.

Also had to cut out potato chips, corn chips, walnuts (and later pecans, I get sores eating those nuts), and most salty snacks. Not saying you consume these, but avoiding them also helps.

Anyway, your post made me realize that I haven't had a canker sore in over a year! And, trying to think back, it may be longer! Yes, stress can play a big role, but taking the B vitamins help with stress.

(While studying, I found out that some look at the tongue to see if you need the B-complex. If your tongue has a crack or multiple cracks in it, it is quite possible that you are lacking your B vitamins. Just sayin'. B-vitamins are water soluble so are difficult to get an overdose, but I would still consult an MD and nutritionist)

Date: July 04, 2015 08:15AM

I actually bought some a B-vitamin complex the other day because I heard the same thing!

I might be lacking in a Vitamin D as well though.

My diet is pretty bad. Im known to skip meals entierly and I work 2 fast food jobs which means its easier and cheaper for me to either just not eat between shifts or eat food that probably isnt nutritious anyway.

I will definitely check out the cank aid too.

A whole year without cankers? That would be amazing!

Date: July 04, 2015 11:09AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 11:09AM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:19AM

I got them pretty badly last year, right after I got some dental work done. They eventually went away.

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:37AM

If you get an OTC (Over the counter) Vit. D, make sure its the D3 variety. It is best absorbed by the body and is more 'natural' than the other two options. I am also getting injections once a month of 50K of Vit. D... yet on my last labs I was still low, but within range of normal.

Posted by: colorado ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:59AM

Your MD could place you on acylovir as well. It's quite effective but will need to be taken daily

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:06AM

Gly-Oxide, over the counter, helps clear them up more quickly, for.me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:06AM

I'm glad that you have a medical appointment. It's always best to check in with your physician, PA, etc. when you have a persistent issue.

I always like the Mayo Clinic's articles on various health issues. The MC recommends various OTC remedies including folic acid, B6, B12, and zinc, along with ideas about what your physician might try prescribing:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/canker-sore/basics/definition/con-20021262

Good luck!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:27AM

My mouth health is directly related to how many vegetables I eat.

Posted by: irregularposter ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 10:57AM

I get cankers every day. It could be stress related, hormonal, a vitamin deficiency... I haven't figured it out but I have had this problem for a few years and have tried everything (vitamins, changing toothpaste, etc.).

The only thing that helps me to not have a constant, painful mouth, is to rinse with water and hydrogen peroxide (about 1/2 & 1/2), for at least 1 - 2 minutes, every morning and night after I brush my teeth - and sometimes during the day if I get one.

Date: July 04, 2015 11:10AM

Thanks guys, all duly noted. I am heading out right now to the doctors office, we will see what they prescribe.

Funny, mormon me might ask for a blessing... somehow I doubt the Doctor is going to prescribe olive oil...

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:15AM

I found out I had a vitamin D deficiency. Dr. Gave me high doses for a coupke of months. Now I have to take otc Vitamin D to keep my numbers up there. Dr. told me that low Vitamin D can prevent your body from absorbing other vitamins.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:29AM

Here is an old remedy, sometimes still used - I've heard of dentists who apply it for the patient, but you can do it yourself. You can get a tiny bottle of purple liquid called Gentian Violet at some pharmacies. Only a couple of $, OTC. It's anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. So you get a tiny amount on a Q-tip and dab it just onto the sore. Tastes horrible! You should hold your mouth open for a bit til it sort of dries on the area (and dab up any purple spit). Usually works with only one application.

I think the main reason this isn't more widely used is that the stuff stains everything. In fact, best to apply before bed, but still expect to have a purple tongue or lip, etc., the next day. If more applications needed, people usually wait the next evening just because of the purple. (Gentian violet is used as a stain for slides because, well, it stains so well.)

I've never heard of any medical reason NOT to use this, but you might want to check with your MD. ? OTOH, long ago I asked my MD about using this for a child and the MD had ever heard of it. (Worked fine for child, btw.)

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:40AM

I have friends who suffer.

The instant they feel it, they start pounding the L Lysine. They claim it shortens it.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:12PM

My daughter has suffered for years. She also finds that Lysine and the Dry Mouth mouthwash help. And try toothpaste that doesn't contain irritating ingredients. Tom's natural toothpaste is one option. Here's what to avoid. http://www.sideeffectsupport.com/survivors-caregivers/your-toothpaste-and-mouth-sores.html

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:28PM

Look into raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar (Braggs brand at regular grocery stores for $5) to help you get this under control. Lots of folks swear using it topically and as a rinse/drink help them a ton.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:36PM

I don't get them as much anymore, but they are painful little bastards.

When I was getting them constantly, it was because of stress and lack of vitamin B-12 and B-6.

You said your diet isn't the best and that could definitely contribute to it. Avoid sodas and acidic foods if you can for a bit.

I hear good things about oil pulling, but I haven't tried it myself: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oil-pulling

I say this all the time, but canker sores are not the same thing as cold sores. The former is an ulceration the latter is a virus. The two are often mixed up and used interchangeably, but they're NOT the same thing.
It's like confusing menstrual cramps to cramps from a PID.

Posted by: nevermoinpalmyra ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:53PM

Mark Bittman, the NY Times food writer, said that when he gave up dairy, he noticed that he no longer got canker sores. If these other suggestions don’t work for you, try that.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:45PM

I was plagued by them my entire life. Different sources blamed them on different things, from "nerves" to spicy foods to herpes. Finally, I learned that one cause is a body's reaction to certain bacteria present in the mouth, and that one should try antiseptic mouthwash. I began using Listerine, and the sores went away in very short order. They never return so long as I continued to use an occasional application of Listerine. So I use Listerine on the weekends and I haven't had a canker sore now in years. So give it a try and see if it works on you.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 05:03PM

Myron is right about the Listerine. Instant relief!

Date: July 04, 2015 05:53PM

I think my case is stress related as well as lack of vitamins.

Doctor prescribed me an antibiotic and told me to come back in ten days. Also recommended some multi vitamins.

We'll see what happens.

My swelling has already gone down so that's good. I'm also glad I got out of work today because I haaaaaate my second job. Its been a big stressor for me the past few months.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.