Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 11:17PM

"Kate Kelly no longer is part of the Ordain Women leadership team. Kelly, who was excommunicated from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints just more than a year ago, resigned this past week from the executive board of Ordain Women (OW).

...'It is not surprising that she wants a break, [Ordain Women Chairwoman Debra] Jenson said Friday in an interview. Kate has dedicated three years to this cause. It has been a stressful endeavor. She wants the freedom to work on other causes. She's earned this chance to move forward, but she's still a full supporter.' "

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2694608-155/kate-kelly-out-as-leader-of

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:03AM

Why would anyone want the cheese-dog award of priest or priestess or better yet--High Priest or High Priestess in a scam?

Posted by: cupcakełicker (drunk) ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:27AM

KK deliberately reminded young Mormon women that they'll be smacked back down if they stand up for themselves. She didn't really think the profit would consult with Jehovah. Nobody thought that. Even TBMs laugh at the thought of profits talking with gods about doctrine.

She (probably quite happily) left the cult, but went out with a bang big enough to catch the attention of a few young women who may open their eyes someday (my sisters, born in the 80s, don't remember any smackdowns of LDS feminists, so it's about time they saw it happen.

Now she's done. She's apostate, so it's a sin for TBMs to think about what she says. She's a liability for OW and is moving on with her on life. I'm surprised this didn't happen before.

Posted by: Iron Throne ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 01:39PM

She got her free laptop and moved on.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 12:31PM

TANSTAAFL

#greatestinsidejokeever!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 08:14PM

Ah yes I remember him well......... good times.

Date: July 04, 2015 02:46AM

Actually, yes, she did a lot of good in opening my eyes. Maybe obtaining the priesthood wasn't her goal as much as showing women where they really stand in the whole gig.

Posted by: NoLapTopforKate ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 10:13AM

I sense hostility in the manner of her resignation. Not a word of thanks from her to those who supported her and not a word of appreciation from her to Ordain Women. This can't be the full story. Kelly is an attention seeker who must have the last word. For OW to be speaking instead of Kelly explaining herself and giving thanks sounds like she was pushed out or has grown hostile toward them.

The LapTop fundraiser must have played a role in this. The public is not stupid. Everyone was furious. There had to be fighting about it within the organization. Her shennanigans harmed their credibility in so many ways.

Didn't she raise the money for her work with OW and other work? Is she giving the money back?

Satisfying to see her $1,600 laptop bite her in the ass.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:18PM

> Didn't she raise the money for her work with OW
> and other work? Is she giving the money back?
>
> Satisfying to see her $1,600 laptop bite her in
> the ass.

Those little insinuations that she did something wrong, possibly shifting OW funds to personal use, are standard passive-aggressive tactics bettered suited to Mormons than exmos. Check the Wayback Machine for the original gfm page and stick to facts.

Her laptop request had nothing to do with Ordain Women. She explained why she wanted that laptop and what she would do with it, and people were free to donate towards it. Mormonism was not mentioned, nor was OW until she received more than she asked for, at which point she said she would donate the surplus to OW.

Disliking someone is fine. Making shit up about her ethics to support your bias reflects your character, not hers.

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:48AM

After one year of excommunication, she has had enough, and perhaps she wants to return to the LDS church.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 03:33PM

That's it! After all, she knows it's true!

A whole year without the Holy Ghost would be enough to convince anyone.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:03PM

She got her 15 minutes! Now onto other things. I understand she is in another country now so it's doubtful she will be able to do much in the US anyhow. I was not impressed by her nor did I find she had real leadership skills.
She raised money for a computer in an Internet fund for solicitations which let me shaking my head. Found it a strange thing to do. Told me a lot about her character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 02:03PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:49PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:30PM

As a polite nonconformist, I understand how a person can feel either good about not 'conforming', or angry, because even if they want to 'conform', they can't. It's certainly not as simple as that; there is probably a nice spectrum of reasons.

But I can't help but wonder if KK is in one of these simplistic categories? It's a sexist question: What if she'd been born to be a home-coming queen?

Why did she chose the frames she did? Why not contact lenses?

All of which speaks to motivation. And I think I can safely say that many of us have often disguised our motivations, even from ourselves.

It's too bad that Life is not as simplistic as mormonism likes to pretend.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 07:34PM

I agree with GodLetMeOut, her main focus wasn't to get women ordained, but plaster her picture everywhere, to have a few minutes of fame. Obviously she doesn't care about really getting priesthood. She's lost her testimony of her own truthfulness. Actually I'd be surprised if she even believed any of it in the first place.

Are most Mormon-feminists like this? Running not making much sense, trying to take away what's not theirs to take, and making a liberal nuisance of themselves?

Posted by: anonforthisexmorm ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:09PM

Huh? I think her glasses are adorable. They're very hipstery so it's probably just a matter of taste. What are you even implying?

Date: July 09, 2015 07:07PM

I refuse to admit what I was implying!

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 07:29PM

#lawyered

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 08:15PM

I've got your implications.

Posted by: bona dea unegistered ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 07:51PM

The laptop made her look spoiled and entitled. Going on FB and joking abput it using the term motherf@$&@r is weird. It is hardly a word that will go over well with Mormons or feminists. Makes me wonder about her sincerity. Mormons generally dont use that sort of language and feminists may swear,but that particular term implies violence against women.

Posted by: Guts ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 07:59PM

Regardless of the intentions or wishful outcome, the ordeal took guts, much more guts than I have...

Posted by: - ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:38PM

A multi billion dollar cult. Don't forget that. Kate Kelly is a human being who stood up to a multi billion dollar cult, period.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 11:46AM

I agree! She had cahones, or the female equivalent.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:52PM

The incident with begging the public to buy her a high-end laptop and her foul and immature language at that time destroyed my good opinion of her.

I had delighted in watching the trouble she stirred up with Ordain Women, although I didn't really understand her mindset. Had I been in her shoes, I would have been more inclined to leave the church and/or start a new Mormon church.

Date: July 07, 2015 11:13PM

Lol at the stuff about her swearing. Seriously, get over it. Swearing says nothing about someone's character. It's just a made up issue like all the ones TBMs whine about.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 12:03AM

I swear myself and dont care if she does,but the point is that most devout Mormons do not swear like drunken sailors and most feminists dont use terms that express violence against women. Since Mormons and feminists are her two target audiences,it seems kind of coutnerproductive to go on FB and use a vulgar term for having violent sex with your mother.Got it now? She is alienating her target audiences which makes me think she isnt all that serious out the church and possibly feminism. Can we say hypocrite?

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:33PM

She brought a lot of attention to an important issue, and demonstrated callousness of church leadership.

She made a recent post about not wanting to reinstated (baptism for the dead) if she dies. Based on this I'd speculate that she has seen the Church for the fraud it is.

This might be the reason for not making much of a big deal out her resignation from Ordain Women--respect for Ordain Women members and leaders who still believe.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 05:51PM

This thread is more virulently sexist than anything I have heard on the subject from the Mormon Church -- not that I am in a place where I would hear.

The message is loud and clear to women posters -- you better put up and shut up or we will treat you with the same cruelty and injustice we doled out to Kate Kelly.

Nice. Predictable, but nice.

Date: July 09, 2015 06:02PM

+1

Most of this thread is disgustingly sexist. Unfortunately that's generally tolerated on this board.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 06:29PM

She WANTED a high priced laptop with all the new bells and whistles instead of a very serviceable one like many of us have. She wanted a Mercedes with leather seats when a Toyota would have done just as well for her stated purpose. It was made very apparent to many during the subsequent conversations that this was a way for Kate to flex her muscles inside a group she was a late comer to, NOT a founder by any stretch of the imagination. If that is not your take-away fine but don't try to throw others under a bus. Sexism has nothing to do with the issue.

Date: July 09, 2015 07:02PM

I think elderolddog has some good insight here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 07:04PM by GodLedMeOut.

Date: July 09, 2015 07:13PM

My good insight is fueled by my advanced sexism. I deeply resent not having my very own vagina.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 07:18PM

The last 40% was dead on. I still don't get the glasses discussion, though elderolddog has come closer to relevancy on that than anyone else.

If someone didn't like her shade of eyeshadow or lipstick, she'd be criticized for that too, and her activism would be ignored. Her style of glasses is distinctive but not outlandish for her age group. Maybe they're outrageously expensive, and everyone but me is an expert eyewear appraiser. That must be it, because there's no way people would judge the legitimacy of a woman's convictions by her physical appearance or fashion choice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.