Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:23PM

One thing people say that totally astounds me is that some
thought or belief or feeling they had MUST have come from God.
"I know it didn't come from me," they will say, talking about
some subjective experience that occurred totally within
themself.

Now this is interesting. If I got a feeling I can't imagine
myself saying, "this has to be from Donald Trump." Well how do
I KNOW it wasn't from Donald Trump? I've never actually had a
telepathic communication from him before--maybe this is what it
would be like.

So the question arises, how do you KNOW what a communication
from God is like, as opposed to anything else.

As long as we're positing God to give you thoughts and feelings
why not admit it could be an advance race of aliens yanking
your chain. It's not like you are experienced in telling the
difference between God's communications and aliens'
communications.

Or, it could be that you're not as knowledgeable about yourself
as you think you are. I mean, if there were a part of you that
you weren't that aware of it, then you wouldn't be aware of
it. Why not just say, "whoa, there's a part of me I wasn't
aware of before." That would be a lot less of a stretch than
to say, "I know it was from God."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:32PM

My last prayer on my way out the door of the cult was that Gawd just give me some kind of answer- something, anything, that I did not already know, could not have known, and that turned out to be verifiably true. It didn't have to be anything big. I wasn't expecting him to smite anyone else so I could have my sign. Just something so I would know for sure that I was getting legitimate information in he way that people claim revelation is supposed to work.

It's been over two years. If Mormon Jeebus wants me for a sunbeam again, he knows where to find me. But if he can't give me any more to go on than feelings that can be easily fabricated by myself or manipulated by others, then I don't see why I should waste any time on "faith."

I like your idea of saying it came from Donald Trump. Trump isn't my first choice of celebrity personal savior, though. I've got my own guy.

Thank GROHL it's Friday!

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 10:17AM

BAURA: "One thing people say that totally astounds me is that some thought or belief or feeling they had MUST have come from God. "I know it didn't come from me," they will say, talking about some subjective experience that occurred totally within
themself."

COMMENT: The inference that a feeling or thought represents a communication from God, is, of course, a huge leap of faith. But, to be fair, such inferences: (1) occur within a context; (2) have content as related to that context; and (3) have a supernatural, or mystical quality. In other words, it is an experience out of the ordinary, with a mystical quality, that provides information (content) that is in some sense relevant to one's personal life (context). That is the basis for the inference. Note also that the mystical quality of the experience, i.e. its non-ordinary nature, is often surprising in its timing. It may occur "out-of-the-blue," i.e. outside of religious circumstances where such experiences might reasonably be assumed to have been psychologically induced.

BAURA: "Now this is interesting. If I got a feeling I can't imagine myself saying, "this has to be from Donald Trump." Well how do I KNOW it wasn't from Donald Trump? I've never actually had a telepathic communication from him before--maybe this is what it would be like."

COMMENT: Again, inferences made regarding the object of any telepathic communication are based upon context and content. Thus, "what it would be like," encompasses such context and content. Of course, that is not to say that such inferences, be they about God or Trump, cannot be mistaken.

BAURA: "So the question arises, how do you KNOW what a communication from God is like, as opposed to anything else."

COMMENT: Again, by the content and context of the experience, and, if it is about God, the mystical quality of the experience. But, this alone does not provide certainty, it only supports an inference; i.e. it provides evidence for such an inference--even if the conclusion is false.

BAURA: "As long as we're positing God to give you thoughts and feelings why not admit it could be an advance race of aliens yanking your chain. It's not like you are experienced in telling the difference between God's communications and aliens'
communications."

COMMENT: Who is "you" here that you deny is experienced in making distinctions between God's communications and other communications. Someone may very well argue that the variety of their experiences has in fact assisted them in making such distinctions. Moreover, in any experience there could always be Descartes' evil demon (or an advanced race of aliens) "yanking your chain." But, again, that possibility is true with respect to ANY experiences! After all, how do we know we are not just brains in vats?

BAURA: "Or, it could be that you're not as knowledgeable about yourself as you think you are. I mean, if there were a part of you that you weren't that aware of it, then you wouldn't be aware of it. Why not just say, "whoa, there's a part of me I wasn't aware of before." That would be a lot less of a stretch than to say, "I know it was from God."

COMMENT: Not necessarily. Human beings make inferences every day based upon their experiences, including experiences that justify an inference of the existence of a reality outside of themselves. Whether someone decides that such an experience reflects only an internal psychological state, as opposed to some external reality, e.g. God, is entirely based upon the nature of the experience, as noted above. However, it does not make sense to prejudge the scope of realty by assigning personal limits as to what your experiences might encompass or mean. It seems to me that the better rule is to allow for a broad scope, but then be perhaps extra critical of experiences that suggest a reality beyond ordinary experience. This leaves open the possibility that you might one day have an experience such that the nature and character of the experience suggests an inference of a reality that you were not otherwise aware of, perhaps, "God," in some sense.

Date: July 04, 2015 06:49PM

As far as I can make sense of your reply, what you are saying is
that if you ASSUME that a certain context makes something like
that from God, then it would be from God.

It seems you've simply swept my original point under the rug.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 04:09PM

I had issues determining where some of my guidance/information comes from over the past year.

Nothing directly from God or aliens although I am a believer in both. However, I have got a lot from my spirit guides (definitely associated with the God I believe in) and some through my subconscious from the universal mind/information as I have heard it referred to.

Sometimes I receive similar information from the different sources but it does relate back to content and context of my situation and how I get the information.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 04:46PM

Spiritist, how do you differentiate your spirit guides from the voices that schizophrenics hallucinate and hear?

Date: July 04, 2015 06:06PM

I don't know what schizophrenics hear or see ----- I assure you I have never had those type of issues. So I can't really answer your question.

Some times (2) I have heard voices warning me of danger ---- that are specific and very much to the point ----- and I verified the information was true very easily. Other times I get dream messages. Other times impressions or visual premonitions/visions. Once I tried to avoid what I was warned about by being extra careful ------- bottom line ---- I failed to avoid someone coming from behind and hitting me on skis.

The various information comes pretty much to the point and normally very specific and normally I "know/feel" inside to trust the information when it comes from spirit guides. I know many of us have learned to not trust feelings but sorry I still trust some.

I definitely try to remember to say thanks when I receive anything from who I believe are spirit guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 06:53PM by spiritist.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 06:22PM

I have had some similar experiences to yours. For mystics and people with heightened psychic awareness these are not uncommon. I didn't develop mine, but seem to have been born with some kind of sixth sense that works some of the time, though not all of the time. It's what I consider to be ordinary intuition. Some people are more endowed with it than others. Who knows why?

I've had angelic intervention, and signs given to me for protection from evil. I don't understand it, but I try to remember to give thanks for what I consider to be gifts from above.

Date: July 04, 2015 06:49PM

Looking back on my life I did get 'impression' and voice help as a Mormon but believed it (voices) from HG and believed everyone was getting similar help ---- I guess I also inferred the impressions could be intuition.

Now I directly pursue it periodically and do get communications ---- but more normal discussions as I am not always in danger or need to be warned about something. I feel guide information is about 100% versus subconscious tapping into universal consciousness much less.

I think it is all 'normal' (can be called intuition) and meant for everyone to take advantage of but until people are more open minded and not 'afraid' (my sister has rationalized she does not need to study this at all) of these things people will not take full advantage except those that do trust their intuition. Even then if one realizes where this information is coming from they could possibly get even more access (my belief) than just relying on intuition or what guides alert you to.

I believe there were certain things I set out to accomplish in my life and until I have had an 'adequate chance' to accomplish them I will be protected by guides or intuition, etc. or maybe until my planned death ----- not sure.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 08:45PM

That is interesting. I've wondered the same at times. What lessons do I need to learn, or things need doing in this incarnation that is part of my life plan for me? It's probably the same things most people ask of their lives, so not really all that unique. Only in the sense that no two people are the same or walk the same path. I will say at one time I was agnostic, until something miraculous turned my life around.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 05:29PM

If you tell yourself, "I don't believe in ghawd, pixies, aliens or telepathy!" it's easy to agree with Baura.

I've read literally hundreds of accounts by individuals who said that they were 'impressed' or 'directed' by Holy McGhost to do something or say something. (Imagine if I was attending F&T meetings regularly!!)

The stories are being repeated because they support the contention that ghawd uses Holy McGhost to get things done. Mishies can have these occurrences daily!

I finally did read a mishie blog where the young man told the truth. Paraphrasing him, and padding it to meet my needs, here's what that mishie had to say:

"We were tracting down one street, with no success. When we reached a cross street, I looked both ways and saw a house and immediately felt impressed to go knock on the door. I told my companion about the feeling and he said we should heed it. So we turned down that street and knocked on the door. A lady came to the door and immediately said that she had no interest in the mormon church, but that I should probably talk to the man next door, name Herb. Then she slammed the door.

So we went next door and Herb answered the knock and I explained who we were and why we were there. He laughed loudly and told us to fuck off, then slammed his door.

So why did Holy McGhost have me waste our time like that? I could probably manufacture a story about how this was just one step in the plan to get those people baptized, but how come we don't spend all night and day getting such promptings? If there are choice spirits waiting to hear our message, how come my DL doesn't get revelations with addresses for us to visit? Why are there be missionaries, like my older brother, who try hard and never get baptism? Why can't ghawd prompt them on how to find the golden people?"

I believe that mormons, among others, enjoy the feeling that they are special in the sight of ghawd and that he cares about them and has angels watching over them and giving them advice. It's certainly a more enjoyable alternative to the view that I'm alone in a universe that cares nothing about me, my needs or my expectations.

Why stretch to find meanings when the Bell Shaped Curve explains it all?

Date: July 04, 2015 06:46PM

Reminds me of the time when I was driving down the street and
the Jan and Dean song "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" came
strongly to my mind. So I turned on the radio to the oldies
station.

They were playing something else.

BTW, you wrote:

"I believe that mormons, among others, enjoy the feeling that
they are special in the sight of ghawd and that he cares about
them and has angels watching over them and giving them advice."

I think this is a big part of the equation, and not only for
Mormons. If GOD is speaking to you then you are SOMEBODY. And
you can have confidence in it. That's a strong motive for
believing your thoughts come from God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 07:08PM by baura.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 06:19PM

My condensed version:

A guy I bore my testimony to while on my mission said, "I don't doubt you felt something, but how do you know it wasn't just something you worked yourself up into?"

He had a point. And I knew it. I buried it as deeply as I could, but that was my first crack in the armor and worked like a charm when the time came. Now I take complete credit for all my brilliant inspirations. They come from me. I like that.

Date: July 04, 2015 06:55PM

blueorchid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A guy I bore my testimony to while on my mission
> said, "I don't doubt you felt something, but how
> do you know it wasn't just something you worked
> yourself up into?"

If you're a Mormon, and you think back, you realize that the
culture has gone overboard in getting you to work yourself up
into belief. Mormonism not only washes your brain but, to
borrow a phrase from the old "Manchurian Candidate" movie,
dry-cleans it.

Recently on this board someone told about coming back from a
teen baptism-for-the-dead trip. When her Mom asked her how she
liked it she said that she didn't. The change in her Mom's
face and attitude toward her was striking. This is just one
example of how the whole Mormon environment is constructed to
get you to convince yourself that you know something that you
don't actually know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 06:55PM by baura.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:02AM

Yes I remember reading that one too. The poor kid didn't was treated badly for just giving an honest account of their reaction to the baptism. They just didn't get the meme that if you are Mormon you have to always say "whatever" was an uplifting a spiritual experience. Do. Not. Tell. THe. Truth. What are you, crazy?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 06:20PM

Actually, there was a book written a few years ago on this very subject, albeit from a slightly different angle. It is called "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind". The author proposed a correspondence between the situation of the psychotic and religious experiences, for instance in the phenomenon of idols. For the psychotic, the voices (and yes, it really does happen) arise totally outside of their conscious realm, and this is one reason the voices are so compelling. In like manner, religious experiences also seem to arise outside of "us". The author opined that perhaps the idols of earlier phases of humanity were conduits to this realm outside of our conscious minds, and so the declarations coming out of the idols were interpreted as coming from a totally separate powerful being.

This is perhaps the central question of religion. There is absolutely no way to determine if these voices or feelings come from some area of our psyches separate from our conscious selves, or if they really and truly arise from some sort of sentient deity.

Date: July 04, 2015 07:02PM

I've read Jayne's book.

It's one of those things that will one day be in the dust-bin of
silly theories.

Or else it will be one of those things that's recognized as
groundbreaking and ahead of its time.

I'm betting on the dust-bin, but I've been wrong before.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:25PM

But there is a way to test these voices and feelings to see if they provide any supernatural access ("shortcuts") to objective knowledge which is otherwise only gleaned through science and hard work.

They *have* been tested--and they've all failed.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 07:36PM

lurking in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But there is a way to test these voices and
> feelings to see if they provide any supernatural
> access ("shortcuts") to objective knowledge which
> is otherwise only gleaned through science and hard
> work.
>
> They *have* been tested--and they've all failed.

Bingo.

Bottom line: nobody "knows" any of their feelings, intuitions, inspirations, imaginations, or "voices" they hear come from any "god" or spirit or anything outside of themselves. People often assume they do, and/or believe they do...but that's not knowing. When ways to test if they ARE from "outside" are devised, they fail all such tests.

"Believe" they do if you want. But understand that your "belief" has no foundation other than your own wishes.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 09:02PM

I haven't said a prayer in years...and never, not once did I ever have a spiritual thought before, during or after I said it. I have no idea what feeling the spirit of the LARD must be like because it's never visited it's presence on me. That has led me to the opinion that people who say they they feel it must suffer from a delusion. But what do I know?

Ron Burr

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:47AM

Henry Bemis.."Human beings make inferences every day based upon their experiences, including experiences that justify an inference of the existence of a reality outside of themselves."

Justify? Really? How can that word be "justifiably" used to infer your conclusion?

In what way can that be verifiably tested, repeated, learned by the average Joe and used by all humans not just those who created an experience inside their own imaginations?

Not one of us can say that we can't imagine voices outside ourselves. But that's just it. Humans can imagine till the cows come home but reason keeps us from following every imaginary thought.

It is the UN-justified assertions that the imaginations of men can be justified if we use words that pretend to justify unjustifiable imaginations that get my goat now that the critical thinking switch has been thrown in my head.

A couple of hundred thousand years of thinking humans and we just can't seem to nail down the art of communication with the supernatural. It's in the toast, it's a sign in the clouds, it's the shape of a Hubble space picture, its a seeping chemical from a statue, its grandma seeing dead grandpa in the temple, it's voices from idols. Good grief!

From the most innocent of experiences that make tears roll down in a touching story of a loved one who has passed to the murderous experiences of others using that same imagination to kill and destroy the source is the same. Human imagination.

Imagination can be manipulated not only by others but by ourselves. Recognizing and understanding ourselves and how powerful our imaginations are for good and bad is paramount in learning how to use imagination for good and keeping them from running amok.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 09:56AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:53AM

Henry Bemis.."Human beings make inferences every day based upon their experiences, including experiences that justify an inference of the existence of a reality outside of themselves."

Justify? Really? How can that word be "justifiably" used to infer your conclusion?

COMMENT: When we see everyday objects in space and time; e.g. trees, cars, other people, etc., we assume that those objects really exist independent of ourselves, and are not just imaginative fictions. This inference is deemed justified solely because that is the nature of human intuition, and such an assumption allows us to assign meaning to our existence, through "interactions" with such objects. But, of course, it could all just be mental, as Berkeley maintained.

In what way can that be verifiably tested, repeated, learned by the average Joe and used by all humans not just those who created an experience inside their own imaginations?

COMMENT: The existence of the external world cannot be tested independent of mind itself. It is inferred by the five human senses. We assume these senses are "triggered" by external objects. However, we also know that any one of the five senses can be "hallucinatory." Thus, why not all of it? What this shows is that science itself is based upon an assumption of external reality, which in turn is grounded solely on the intuitions of the human mind. That is why famous scientists, such as Max Planck, sometimes refer to science itself as ultimately based upon faith.

Not one of us can say that we can't imagine voices outside ourselves. But that's just it. Humans can imagine till the cows come home but reason keeps us from following every imaginary thought.

COMMENT: Yes, we have a regularity of our conscious experience, such that when this regularity is disturbed, we can differentiate between what we call "reality" and what we call "imagination." But sometimes this distinction is blurred. One example is in "spiritual" or "paranormal" experiences where experiences might be empirically powerful and consistent with a worldview that accommodates a broader scope to reality.

It is the UN-justified assertions that the imaginations of men can be justified if we use words that pretend to justify unjustifiable imaginations that get my goat now that the critical thinking switch has been thrown in my head.

COMMENT: You have to make a distinction between "imagination" and "experience." Pure imagination that conjures up entities out of whole cloth, such as unicorns, does not justify the existence of unicorns in the "real world" of physical objects. Yet they remain mental objects of imagination. Contrast that with entities that are inferred from experience, not from pure imagination. This could be unusual things such as ghosts or God, or quite ordinary things such as an intruder that is inferred from a downstairs noise. The scope of what we allow as entities to be inferred from experience is exactly what makes up our worldview. But there is no logical limitation that pinpoints "justification"; so long as there is a reasonable nexus between our experience and the entity we infer from it. And, with some experiences, it is per se unreasonable to infer entities whose existence is not otherwise readily apparent.

A couple of hundred thousand years of thinking humans and we just can't seem to nail down the art of communication with the supernatural. It's in the toast, it's a sign in the clouds, it's the shape of a Hubble space picture, its a seeping chemical from a statue, its grandma seeing dead grandpa in the temple, it's voices from idols. Good grief!

COMMENT: Yes. I share your frustration. But, there is a distinction between inferring Jesus from toast, a cloud, or a Hubble space picture, etc. from the "seeing" of dead grandpa (wherever it might be) Although, of course, such reports should not be trusted per se, they represent direct experience. Moreover, in some such cases, there are objective facts that support the experience; for example when more than one persons witnesses the event, or when the circumstances otherwise suggest credibility. In any event, you cannot dismiss such experiences out of hand simply because they are exceptional. Like anything else, they need to be evaluated independently of our materialist prejudice that everything in the world is based upon clearly defined an known physical laws. That assumption is simply false on scientific grounds.

From the most innocent of experiences that make tears roll down in a touching story of a loved one who has passed to the murderous experiences of others using that same imagination to kill and destroy the source is the same. Human imagination.

COMMENT: Human imagination is powerful, no doubt. As humans we therefore need to make careful distinctions between imagination and "reality." But to use "imagination" as a fall back explanation for all things paranormal, or all things religious, is both unreasonable, and not justified on scientific grounds.

Imagination can be manipulated not only by others but by ourselves. Recognizing and understanding ourselves and how powerful our imaginations are for good and bad is paramount in learning how to use imagination for good and keeping them from running amok.

COMMENT: Fully agree. But then, when is a powerful religious experience explained by imagination "running amok," and when should it be taken as referring to a reality that is beyond normal human understanding. That is the difficult question. And to suggest that just because such an experience is "spiritual" or "religious" in character it should be dismissed begs the question as to the validity and meaning of such experiences, including whether such experiences suggest a worldview that is beyond our ordinary experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.