Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 05:06PM

I don't want to add a spoiler but pay attention to Don's third sentence - not sure what literary term/technique he's using here but it's a zinger! Just love it!

http://salamandersociety.com/donbagley/

Thanks Don for another vivid walk down memory lane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 07:39PM

Thanks D.B.

I look forward to reading... when I'm not writing, or reading (something else), working, sleeping, eating, designing, cleaning up or recuperating.

Updated: that was great! Sin is pretty small, really! And hammers can fix nearly anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 07:56PM by moremany.

Posted by: jeffbagley ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 01:03AM

Oh brother, how artful.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:06AM

Melancholy. Honest. Dear.

I'm going to tell you what my son recently said to me when I told him that I'm thinking about moving to NorCal because I'm starting to feel kind of isolated here.

You love people. Despite it all, you love people, and people love you. You have every right to hate everyone, and I wouldn't blame you if you did. But you don't.

Part of me thinks that I should be writing this in an email, but I haven't been keeping up with that email thing. So here it is.

I'm glad you're writing, Don. I'm glad you're putting it out there. It's good.

Beth

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:37AM

Thanks Don, I enjoyed this.

If I may quote you:

"I went to their house the same way I went to the factory for shift work. I was used to it and assumed it had to be done. I didn't expect a good experience, and I didn't usually get one."

I was the exact same way. Maybe our parents were, like, doppelgangers?

"... and listened with all the politeness of a chastened employee."

You sure have a way with words, that's how I felt too. (shudder)

Thanks again for sharing more of your story. :)

Oh, and remember Dori from 'Nemo'? ... 'careful with that hammer.'

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 05:06AM

The fact that your non-"father" had that fancy, well decorated house out in Roseville, while he raised you & your siblings in poverty, back & forth across the country, that really makes me fucking angry.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:58AM

I agree with Beth (Hi, Beth ;-)

This is another gem, Don - you started off very good and you're just getting better and better...

Tom in Paris

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 12:24PM

Very, very good, Don!

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:01PM

Thank-you for posting that link to Don's musings. He is entertaining and I was unaware of his writing other than when he posts here at RfM. I have bookmarked his blog and will visit more in the future. I enjoyed this piece and in my mind's eye could see it all happening as described.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 07:36PM

Don has such a way with words. *LOL*

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:10AM

me too. new reader. enjoying it.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 11:55AM

"What happens after death, she said she'd read, is that sinners are doomed to pursue their sinful behavior forever."

And Mormons are doomed to pursue their self-righteousness forever, wondering like ghosts judging all they see as beneath them, including the Light that bars them entry.

Posted by: came2mysenses ( )
Date: July 09, 2015 01:59AM

Speaking of self righteousness... My still mormon pedophile uncle has decided he wants to 'make peace and get closure' so he can be completely reinstated back into the church after disfellowshipment. He is flying out to visit family members he molested, myself being one of them, to ask for forgiveness. My all mormon family 90% of which he also molested support this endeavour as it will help him get back into the church and therefore help him in his 'afterlife'. I am sickened and all over again wonder why I ever have anything to do with my family. As if there being mormon isn't sick enough... the mental insanity to think a pedophile of 40 plus years can suddenly heal and be all better so he can get into 'mormon heaven' is beyond any form of rational or logic and I am left dumbfounded again at the shock of what the cult does to these people and just how brainwashed they all are... I'm sadden my memory fails me and I get shocked over and over... Sometimes it's just all so surreal!
I am an energy worker... My belief system is so vastly different from theirs now... As for afterlife, I believe in reincarnation... I pray in the next life Karma has him suffer for all he has done, and maybe some day he will see the light of spirit and it will actually help change him... But stooped in brainwashing and a cult, light simply isn't able to even be seen, I fear for all of them... But that makes me should like them fearing for me... Oh the BS of it all... Somedays, I'm just so tired of it all...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:14PM

I've always loved the genre of the short story. They're so economical with words, that each one, carefully chosen, does the work of three. Bravo! You're a true master.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.