Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 02:56PM

Basically, as I mentioned as an aside in another thread, missionaries are deemed to be 'trunky' when they engage in activity that has to do with them leaving the mission; they fixate on the release date...

There's the actual 'trunky' part of it, meaning suitcases, since no one since the age of steam boats really travels with trunks. You have to figure out what you can take on the plane with you, usually two suitcases, so what you can fit in the suitcases has to be figured out, and then you have to decide what to do with the rest, give it away, throw it away or ship it home.

I shipped home a very nice guitar, a bunch of books, a record player and LPs, some clothing, and the complete SuperMachos comic books, Vols 1 through about 110, the comic book being first published (on a weekly basis) a couple of months before my arrival in the field.

Some missionaries feel the need to go visiting members and former companions, some go check out cultural sites or events that they missed. Then there's buying souvenirs and gifts.

There's also letters (now emails) to be written to pre-arrange some good times once you're home, or wherever it is you're going wind up.

It can get very complicated and a properly trunky missionary can take himself and his companion out of a month or two of actual missionary effort.

Stories, anyone???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:34PM

"I'm leaving on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again..."

FIGMO

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:55PM

A couple days before I was to go home, a group of us jumped in a taxi. There were a couple other guys in the group who were also going home soon.

The taxi driver was playing his pumped up sound system, and the song from Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It" came on the radio.

We all yelled "TURN IT UP!"

One of those things you remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xmckWVPRaI

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.