Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:23PM

My left arm is involved sometimes too. It's getting so I'm afraid to try to sleep, and I'm so tired, but sleeping during the day is a very bad idea, I know.

Doesn't seem to be sciatica, because occasionally my right leg gets those awful, crawly, gotta move sensations too.

I don't want to take medication or tranquilizers, and I'm going to cut out all alcohol and caffiene, just in case (can't hurt, right?)

Have begun doing some yoga. Would a chiropractor be able to help me?

Feeling kinda desperate here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:29PM

I don't know what advice to give, but you have my sympathy.
I have the same issue and it drives me crazy sometimes. I literally have to move my feet to keep the sensations away- and it's all the usual- the pin pricks, creepy crawlies, and jerking sensations. It got worse after we had an earwig infestation 4 years in the house.

Something that slight helps me (also with my insomnia and allergies) is a Benadryl every night. I also occasionally take a muscle relaxer (OTC from Mexico) which helps as well. I've heard a walk before you go to bed might help, but for some people it makes it worse.

Posted by: dowahdiddy ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:31PM

I have the RLS as well and I have noticed a dramatic change with stretching especially your legs throughout the day, moderate exercising and drinking lots more water.

I've never been to a chiropractor, but if it helps...why not?!

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:35PM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:40PM

She claims that taking a single aspirin helps.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:45PM

Glass of wine before bed.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:46PM

I work at a sleep center and we have tons of patients with this. Most of them end up being put on some sort of prescription, and there are several that work well.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:52PM

I would try what everyone else suggested, but also talk to your Doc if those don't work. Sleep is so important and if you can't get good quality because of crawly/achey legs the rest of your health could suffer terribly.

But try the other stuff first. :)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 03:31PM

A daily walk also makes a difference for me.

It's a horrible sensation.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 05:04PM

Even the top of the line Kingsize Select Comfort bed is not big enough to prevent him from kneeing me in the back regularly. He even flails his arms out and hits me in the head. He took Requip for about a year and it stopped working. He now takes 1/2 Valium nightly. I think it's an individual thing whether or not walks and exercise helps. I find that it's a lot worse when he has any alcohol. I know you don't want meds but sometimes you have to take them. Wishing you success in your quest for relief.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 05:02PM

I have had sciatica and have herniated discs, arthritis and hip bursitis so I have problems sometimes with leg cramps in particular and pain while sleeping . I take calcium, magnesium, zinc and Vit D and presc. potassium at night which seems to help, but maybe it's just a placebo. :-)

This site has a lot of good info:
http://www.medicinenet.com/restless_leg_syndrome/article.htm

Posted by: Pharmacist ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 05:19PM

Quinine tablets were the best prevention for RLS, but the FDA got them pulled from the market (the prescription dose can lead to adverse reactions). We started dispensing Vitamin E 400 unit capsules (take 1 cap an hour or so before bedtime). It works really well for some people.

There is homeopathic low-dose quinine available. It's Hyland brand and may be found at a health-food store or a pharmacy that sells homeopathic products.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 05:46PM

Pharmacist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quinine tablets were the best prevention for RLS,
> but the FDA got them pulled from the market (the
> prescription dose can lead to adverse reactions).
> We started dispensing Vitamin E 400 unit capsules
> (take 1 cap an hour or so before bedtime). It
> works really well for some people.
>
> There is homeopathic low-dose quinine available.
> It's Hyland brand and may be found at a
> health-food store or a pharmacy that sells
> homeopathic products.

YES!!! I used to take quinine tablets, then they were banned in the US BUT you can get them in Canada, which I did.
I forgot to add that I take 400 units of Vit E at night with my calcium, etc. also.
I don't know if I have RLS - maybe not, but I do have problems with my legs when sleeping some nights.

Posted by: musicangelgirl ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 08:35PM

Pharmacist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quinine tablets were the best prevention for RLS,
> but the FDA got them pulled from the market (the
> prescription dose can lead to adverse reactions).
> We started dispensing Vitamin E 400 unit capsules
> (take 1 cap an hour or so before bedtime). It
> works really well for some people.
>
> There is homeopathic low-dose quinine available.
> It's Hyland brand and may be found at a
> health-food store or a pharmacy that sells
> homeopathic products.

Ive used this and I find it is a fantastic formula. They have one for leg cramps too that helps with leg cramps if you get those with the rls and it helps with back aches and arm aches too but they work terrific.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 05:52PM

I have it sometimes. Usually walking around or bouncing on my toes a few times takes care of it. Cold rememdies can bring it on so avoid all antihistamines. I understand muscle relaxers can help although I have never used them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 08:37PM by bona dea.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:00PM

My mom has it and I swear sometimes she is just all over the doggone bed, up and down and thrash and kick and I can't get a wink of sleep!!!!!!!!!

Only thing she did find out fer sure is that quite often seems like antihistamines, especially Benadryl, make it worse. Her doctor ordered Elavil and that made it worse too.

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:13PM

I take magnesium pills, which are very helpful. Recently the doctor prescribed Lyrica, which is even better.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 09:55PM

I sure would like to try that but my insurance won't pay for it. They'll pay for a couple other things that do NOT work, though.

Poor old StalkerDog™ was right... I have nights where I am all over the bed. He finally retires to the floor, making irritated little harrumphing noises.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:20PM

I had RLS when pregnant with my second little girl. Strangely, out of three pregnancies that was the only one where I experienced the need to move my legs constantly. I also had Gestational Diabetes while carrying her only and there certainly can be a connection. Any chance you have diabetes or pre-diabetic?

Anyway, 30 minutes of exercise in the evening helped me tons.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:25PM

Since you are adverse to meds, I assume you are not on an anti-depressant. Anyway, once I stopped the meds, the problem went away. My doctor did not believe that the problem was related, but it definitely was.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:34PM

I stopped for a while once and nose-dived into a frightening state. The RLS is a new thing for me, but have been on Prozac for almost a year now.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 07:18PM

It's very rare for me, but when I feel that restlessness I get up, walk around and get an asprin. Maybe I'll get a little food to go with the asprin. Then I go back to bed. Sometimes I'll read for a few minutes. Usually by the time the asprin starts working I can get to sleep.

Good luck. I know it is a very annoying feeling.

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 09:21PM

Sorry, but this is true. I heard a lady call into a radio show about this condition. She said masturbation made it go away. Take it for what it's worth.

Date: April 08, 2011 10:23PM

Please note Christija's post -I have read something about a connection between blood sugar levels and RLS -It would be a very good idea to get your blood level checked...

It wouldn't hurt to try a diet that keeps your insulin and blood sugar levels steady (complex carbs, proteins, etc..). You're already going healthy anyway.

If you want to avoid prescription medications,a chromium supplement could help level out blood sugar if it turns out yours turns out to be a bit high. This would also explain why magnesium works, too. The trace elements are essential and not readily available in our available food these days.

The more I learn about homeopathic/Chinese medicine, the less I like filling vials with tablets from big Pharma companies.

Date: April 08, 2011 10:37PM

When the Panama Canal was being constructed, there was a horrendous malaria epidemic, which at the time was treated with quinine. "Tonic Water" has quinine in it, so gin and tonic was a pretty good libation to treat malaria and deal with what must have been a pretty miserable place to be at the time.

Tonic water on its own is pretty awful stuff. Gin helps (with a slice of lime). I have no idea if this would help with restless leg syndrome, but at least the FDA hasn't pulled tonic water from the market. Maybe the taste could be covered up with lime juice (gin free)?

This is in no way a professional recommendation. Just a thought.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 10:31PM

Is sleep apena a possibility for you? Do you snore or stop and start breathing during the night? Check with your bed partner. My local medical supplier lent me a blood oxygen monitor for free and sent the results to my doc.

Posted by: Elder Roland ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:00PM

Sleepy time tea

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:25PM

is generic Neurontin. It's called Gabapentin. I had horrible RLS for quite awhile, and then had my first MS attack. No more RLS! It got traded for leg numbness and/or pain and a host of other issues. Anyway, I took Lyrica when I was getting free samples, but when I had to change doctors, I switched to Gabapentin. Works quite well.

Date: April 08, 2011 11:33PM

Gabapentin has an amazing safety profile. People can take very high doses without side effects. It works on the nerves themselves, doesn't make you dopey, either.

Posted by: phyllis ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 12:16AM

i take two benadryl every night, 2-3 hours before i want to fall asleep and it makes me so sleepy that even if i have rls that night i'm eventually able to fall asleep. from everything i've read and heard from my doctors, it's very safe to take benadryl regularly.

you've probly already figured this out, but for me getting up for a quick walk and/or taking the covers off my legs to cool them off helps relieve the symptoms.

As someone else mentioned, gabapentin may help. I've had other neurological issues besides RLS and gabapentin (the generic form of neurontin) has been very effective at getting rid of the neurological discomfort issues i had. i didn't have any side effects from the gabapentin, but i know some people do have side effects from it.

There's an online support group that i joined to try to get some recommendations, insight, etc. You can join from this site: http://www.rls.org/

Good luck, i know it's a real pain.

Phyllis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 12:17AM by phyllis.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.