Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 02:18PM

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865631831/Elder-Ballard-other-LDS-Church-leaders-explain-need-for-better-Sabbath-day-observance-in-new-video.html?pg=all&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%3Fref%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

"Topics discussed in the video include involving ward councils in planning sacrament meetings and holding sacrament meeting at the beginning of the three-hour block of Sunday meetings."

What about all the Utah wards that have SM last?

"Our whole desire is that throughout the church, we focus our Sabbath day worship on the Lord,” Elder Ballard said in the video."

Their WHOLE desire used to be that you would hand over all of your money. Now they just want you to be bored on Sunday!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 02:20PM

Date: July 02, 2015 02:56PM

Many members only come for SM. They have a better chance of getting them to SS and RS/EQ if SM is first.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:50PM

What's funny is that according to my mother, that during split schedule (around here anyway), most people did not go to SM. They only went to Sunday school & junior Sunday school. Where they could take the Sacrament, of course.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:02PM

that's the way it was with my family

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 02:25PM

Of course! Because those who keep the Sabbath have easier access to those little grey tithing envelopes...

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 02:40PM

If they want to keep it Holy, then BYU-TV should go dark and not air anything...After all somebody's got to be there to keep it going..All other morg owned business need to be closed. Oh but that will eat into their profits of course!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:05PM

Our sacrament meeting first has been clocking a whopping 20 to 25% attendance

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:10PM

It think that ours is at 50%-75%! More often at 50%%!! That's also during the school year as well!

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:11PM

Keep the Sabbath day holy by not shopping on Sunday. However, the mall owned by the church will of course be fully open and serving all types of alcoholic beverages.

But don't think about that, just keep the Sabbath day holy.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:40PM

As much as I enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy of "the" church, City Creek mall IS closed on Sundays.

Probably the only mall in America that isn't open a full weekend. Great marketing & sales plan!

Date: July 02, 2015 04:01PM

Is it all closed on Sunday now? I thought the restaurants and department stores used to be open on Sunday.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 04:12PM

When did they start closing on Sundays? I shopped there on a sunday last year...

Posted by: StilAnon ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 07:39PM

Bruce, it's been that way since day one. A few restaurants are open, but no stores. They must've given anchor stores like Nordstrom's & Macy's a hell of a deal on rent (like free) to make up for lost sales.

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 11:11AM

see post further down... sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 11:12AM by cristib.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:30PM

I focus my sabbath activities on what makes me and my wife happy...and it NEVER involves a church.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:14AM

This is the only and true way to keep a Sabbath. In fact, I would venture to say any day that we are alive and enjoying life is a sacred day.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:40PM

You are correct.

RB

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:54PM

There is arguably some heavy duty psychology behind this.

LDS inc needs its patrons to be in pseudo hypnotic trance from the Sacrament meeting, testimonies, and sing songy Mormon cadence so they will not be thinking clearly or critically during the later indoctrinating sessions.

They refer to it as being with the spirit.

It is the same reason why Mormon prayer is so overused in their culture.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 07:53PM

The Counterfeit Apostles to The Peon Membership : YOU SUCK!

The Awakening Membership to The Counterfeit Apostles : BYE!

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 11:13AM

Yeah, and somehow I had learned that spending the day with family was also in line with keeping the Sabbath day holy.

Meeting after meeting after meeting is not conducive to spending time with family.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 11:21AM

Yes, TBMs please stay at church and then go home. You are harshing our collective mellow by making it more crowded at places like Costco and others.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:19PM

Oooooh right you are, Bite Me!

I'm about two millimeters away from berating the next white shirter I see at Costco on Sunday.

These so called leaders make my skin crawl.

They talk to adults like they are three years old. Blech on the ponderous, overbearing, passive-aggressive mind fuck they put on adults that are willing to be controlled by these old fucks.

I don't need your "Counsel" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck Off !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 09:23PM by wastedtime.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 03:16PM

Good thing no one has to work on Sundays (not).

Posted by: topped ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:39PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:54PM

the sabbath is saturday

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:11PM

Nothing new. They had a big "Keep the Sabbath holy" thing in the 90s, too. Not only were TBMs not showing up to meetings, they were also hitting up Walmart, the mall, restaurants, the lake, the reservoir, hiking trails, etc. -- not to mention activities like watching sports on TV and changing into sweats and t-shirts instead of wearing church clothes all day.

Leaders condemned all the above and advised the sheeple to also avoid too much cooking, laundry, housecleaning, studying (for students), doing homework, yard care, watching TV for entertainment, or listening to non-Sabbath music. The day was supposed to be like church all day long even when you weren't *at* church.

You can imagine how well that went over. Judging by the number of Mormons who show up in church clothes at Walmart, Costco, and the mall on Sundays, not much has changed. Somehow, they still manage to look arrogant and holier-than-thou, even when they're breaking the rules.

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:45PM

When I lived near my TBM, if she needed anything purchased on a Sunday, she'd call me (the heathen) and tell (not ask) me to go buy it for her and drop it off.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't following "the spirit of the law"....

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:11PM

OMG........The cult ALWAYS has to be belly-aching about something or other.

I do know this is how they work, but just ONCE wouldn't it be refreshing to hear them complement the peons on SOMETHING????

Who wants to hear that they are falling short over and over and over and over again?

I wasn't TBM all that long, but when I was, this negativity got old really fast. I became active because I thought it was THE PATHWAY TO HAPPINESS.......well, so much for that dream.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:16PM

Apparently this one big new (recycled topic) that the morg is going to push on members big time. At least that's what our ward's high councilman said during Priesthood. If it didn't work in the 90's, odds are it won't work now!! Stupid cult!!

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:59PM

It's such a shame that they waste so much time and effort on things that are so pointless. They always have to invent and recycle Huge Manufactured Problems so that the membership can have lots of pointless things to focus on.

Because if they keep everyone's attention focussed on all of the Huge Manufactured Problems, no-one will have time to be wondering about what the leaders are really doing with all of that money. Or about whether the BOM or Mormon doctrine makes any sense at all. Or even on wondering whether the Huge Manufactured Problems make any sense at all.

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:15PM

I'd much rather them increase sacrament meeting attendance. Makes ,y shopping experience at COSTCO even much better when I don't have to run into the, oh we just needed to grab a couple of things morg neighbors and their twenty three kids....

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:43PM

...one annoying TBM family wiping out a whole tray of samples. Stay home!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:55PM

When I was in college, all of my tests were on Monday mornings. There was no way I would have made it if I hadn't studied on Sunday evenings.

Posted by: Former Tech Groupy ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:17PM

whining, wispy voice? This reminds me of the commercial verbiage: "We talk to you like you are children, because when we talk to you like adults, you don't listen."

Posted by: Former Tech Groupy ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:30PM

Can someone post the link to the actual training video or the training materials mentioned in the OP's link?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.