Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:33AM

Sorry admin; but I'll try to keep politics out of this...

Here's the news story: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/romney-huntsman-mormon-rivals-119515_Page3.html#.VZFUe1I60dU

Here's the quote(s): In 2011 as he hinted at White House ambitions, Huntsman was asked by a reporter point-blank whether he was still a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“I’m a very spiritual person,” he said, “and proud of my Mormon roots.” Pressed again, Huntsman sidestepped. “That’s tough to define,” he said. “I come from a long line of saloon keepers and proselytizers, and I draw from both sides.”

The other side's response: “Mormons believe that Mitt Romney is sincere about his faith and Jon Huntsman Jr. is a charlatan,” says state Sen. Todd Weiler, who like most members of the Utah Legislature is a Mormon and a Republican. “He kind of pretended to be a card-carrying Mormon when he ran for governor, but it was all a ruse.”

What the heck is all that about? To have your opponent's personal attack on you as being, "Not Mormon enough" or a Faux Mormon???

Is this happening in Wards and Stakes where NOMs are gaining popularity since they support SSM or priesthood for women? Are the TBMs now calling out their own and calling the "Non-Mormons" or "Faux Mormons" as a derogatory?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:54AM

Huntsman was baptized into the Mormon church and served a church mission. If he has not resigned, he can still call himself a Mormon if he wishes to, regardless of his activity level. The rest is just politics.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 11:14AM

Lowell Bennion, one of the more enlightened Mormon speakers, one time remarked that "an honest man and a politician never occupied the same grave!"

That pretty well sums it up.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 11:58AM

I know an exmo who was running for public office in a very nonmormon area. One of the more prominent mormons started a smear campaign asking if anyone shoud trust a person who steps away from his covenants. Naturally, all that did was deny him a handful of mormon votes and a letter to the editor asking why a Utah church cared about this mans religion. Bad publicity and mormons are like co-joined twins.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 12:20PM

See, I'm beginning to see the tide turning on Mormonism.

Before, being an exmormon was considered a "Bad" thing. But now the PR for Mormonism is down the toilet. Mormonism is a pun, joke used in Broadway shows, Late Night Monologues, Movie parodies....

I think Exmormon is starting to become a badge of honor. I mean now that the church has acknowledge that about 50,000 people are leaving annually, Well it's becoming more of a positive statement as to character and intelligence.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/2015/06/26/june-26-2015-former-mormons/26293/

It's still better to be a Mormon in UT, so being called a Exmormon or Counterfeit Mormon in the moridor is probably seen as "bad", in the rest of the world, it's a positive.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 02:40PM

So, we were exmo before it was cool.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 03:07PM

(sings) "I was apostate, back when apostate wasn't cool."

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 05:17PM

Huntsman is just a little more honest in telling the world what he really thinks. This line about saloon keepers on all sides. What's he getting at? I mean all my ancestors were alcoholics on all sides, does that sound impressive? BY, profit of the mormon church was an alcoholic. So I don't know what he was talking about on that line?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 05:29PM

Mitt's gang was trying to put Huntsman into a no-win situation. If he admitted to being post-Mormon, then he gets accused of wanting to sin, being disloyal to his heritage, etc. If he weasel's out of admitting that, then he sounds like a weasel.

Either way, Huntsman loses support in R primaries. It was just the Mittster jockeying for position.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.