Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shunn ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 07:49PM

Did anyone else see this lovely short documentary on the New York Times site today? I found it quite moving, and, even though I'm straight, very familiar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/opinion/elder-a-mormon-love-story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exmember5000 ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 08:18PM

I once looked at a girl (I'm a girl), and my father in law said I was a lesbian. Then without knowing the word, I knew he was a homophobia. I later learned he was also against blacks too. I wanted to tell him I married his "son". I'm very much a celibate. If I had to chose a title, it would be bi-sexual. But because I'm celibate, Thank you for sharing this. Also, Ingrid Nelson just came out last week, she is an youtube fashion icon.

Posted by: exmember5000 ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 08:22PM

LDS woman are very attractive, I just have to say that. It was hard when I had sister missionaries teach me the lessons.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 09:37PM

Shunn asked:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone else see this lovely short documentary
> on the New York Times site today?

I had a go at this piece of Hollywood fantasy and found it less than lovely.

This post could go on for pages if we'd list all the dream-factory lies in the tale.

What LDS mission, then or now, would allow such a honeymoon couple to train from Pescara on the Adriaco to Civitavecchia and then climb on a ferry to Sardegna?

All those lovely shots with a mini-cam few companionships ever had back then... studios can dream up endless footage like this.

The producers did find a real Gene Wilder look-alike to star and then manufactured all those shots to make a "lovely" story.

Sheer New Age sewage, with more to come... alas.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 09:54PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 09:44PM

Most newbies would never know that the gentleman featured in the piece used to post here.

A lot.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 11:40PM

Yup, Shum. And more than a few of us have met Tom in person, too.

Newbs. <rolls eyes>

;o)

Posted by: Shunn ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:30AM

Well, thanks for being elliptical and condescending.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:34AM

Shummy Wrote:
> Most newbies would never know that the gentleman
> featured in the piece used to post here.
>
> A lot.

Those were the good ole days weren't they Shummy?
We had some good times.

Posted by: tomclark ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 06:35PM

HaHa! A lot is right. Many years ago I used to hang out here for hours on end until I finally felt like I'd covered all the territory I needed to and moved on. It's nice to see some of the old gang still beating the drums and helping people make their transitions out of the cult.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 10:41PM

Not a bit surprising to learn that Elder Gene used to post here... a lot.

He does seem quite a gentle man.

Not one, credibly, to grock with a bloody Communist.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 11:31PM

Spectacular! I've read Tom's story before, but seeing the original footage of Italy and his beautiful lover brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you for sharing this piece. I do believe this video is one of the best I've ever seen from an ex-Mormon. Beautiful.

;o)

Date: November 17, 2015 06:43PM

So happy you enjoyed it Shannon. The filmmakers did a great job of editing a very long story down to just 13 minutes. I didn't think they could do it but wow, they not only did it they did it beautifully. It was a long and circuitous journey getting the film made but it's out there now and it makes me happy to see it being so well received.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 12:08PM

That was incredibly moving. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 06:07PM

A whole lot purtier than a weekend honeymoon in Wendover anyhow.

Posted by: one who posted ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 10:01PM

Is Tom on here anymore?

Date: July 07, 2015 12:32AM

No he doesn't post here anymore.

Date: November 17, 2015 06:33PM

Well, I don't check in very often but this thread caught my attention so I thought I'd weigh in. :-)

Date: November 17, 2015 07:21PM

tomclark Wrote:
> Well, I don't check in very often but this thread
> caught my attention so I thought I'd weigh in. :-)

Love you Baby.... glad you stopped by. Its good to see you

here.

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:22PM

That was beautiful & sweet. And heartbreaking.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:24AM

You got to do what you want.

Nicely done

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:38AM

I can relate to what he said about prostitutes, I had a some weird bond with them on my mission, not sexual, but I did become quite good friends with a couple. I felt like we were at the same level, part of the ecosystem of freaks and geeks working the streets of Montreal

Date: November 17, 2015 06:41PM

That's a great way of putting it - freaks and geeks working the streets. The connection I felt with the prostitutes was unspoken but I had a connection with them having grown up in the countryside outside of Rome where they often brought their johns. They were familiar to me in a strange and comforting way.

Date: November 17, 2015 06:31PM

Thanks for sharing the documentary here Shunn. It's been a fascinating journey getting the documentary made over the past three years and it's nice to finally have it out there making the rounds of the film festivals and being seen so widely online. It wasn't an easy decision to make, resurrecting my mormon past from forty years ago with such a personal story but I felt like it might help some young gay mormons see a different perspective on the subject.

A poster below made some pretty disparaging comments about the film and I just want to clarify that the story is true, every word of it. The Super8 footage from that time is mine as well and proved to be a valuable part of making the story come alive.

For what it's worth, Gianni and I are still great friends more than 40 years later. I see him whenever I'm in Italy and we talk often by Skype. We will always be in each other's hearts.

Thanks again for sharing the film here.
Tom

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 06:51PM

For all the sadness, who gets the opportunity to fall in love, act on that love, and do it all in Italy?

I wonder how many homosexual Elders have dealt with unrequited love?

It was a beautiful little film, but one more of hope than of sadness for me.

Date: November 17, 2015 07:01PM

I'm glad you felt hope in it rather than sadness. The story did have a much happier ending than what was implied in the film. Gianni and I continued being lovers for many years, taking breaks when either of us was in a relationship. At some point along the way we realized we were holding onto something that had changed and we transitioned from being lovers to being the best of friends. More than forty years later we're still very much in each other's lives - I always see him whenever I'm in Italy and we talk often by Skype. Some things really are forever.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:24PM

tomclark Wrote:
> Some
> things really are forever.

Thank God not my family.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 09:22PM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Very moving.

RMM

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 11:43PM

Wow. I didn't know that you were that man in the film. I saw this several weeks ago when a former mission companion shared it with me.

We both cried, thinking "that was it" at the end of the film and that you never saw each other again. I'm so grateful there has been a better ending and that you continue to cherish your friendship.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I was incredibly touched by it.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 09:29PM

I loved this little film. It was the innocence. Just a beautiful moment of just purely beautiful feeling and emotion with no baggage. I have had those moments. They are some of our greatest treasures. I am so happy Tom shared this.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 09:38PM

My wife and I really enjoyed seeing this documentary tonight. It was very touching, insightful, and helpful to me personally.

I've always tried to be fair and compassionate towards my gay friends and neighbors, but I can't say that I've ever felt like I understood their world very well.

This film has helped in that regard.

Nice story and well told.

Thanks, Tom.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 10:46PM

tomclark

Tom in Paris

Soft Machine

TLC

Who is who?

(kj per our conversation - maybe I had it wrong . . . .?)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 11:35PM

TLC is Tom Clark. Soft Machine is Tom in Paris :)

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 11:40PM

This was such a cute little film. Isn't it interesting how we can refuse to allow ourselves to have what we want in order to please others who have no interest in us, our lives or our happiness.

Posted by: Inspired Stupidity ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 12:04AM

That was absolutely beautiful. Thank you, Tom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.