Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:06PM

Happened to be in Phoenix today and drove past a LD$ Chapel with an eight-foot chain link fence around the entire property. Is it too much to hope that it has been abandoned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:09PM

They do that when preparing for major renovations as well.

But there would be evidence of that usually.

Posted by: A local NLI ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 12:07AM

What cross streets? I'll check it out.

I can imagine the one on 40th St and Oak being shuttered and razed. Pre-correlation architecture and high maintenance. Originally 2-pipe boiler/chiller and individual hydronic fan coils in each classroom. By the 1970s they were showing their age.

Earlier this year the one on 56th St south of Camelback closed for renovations with dumpsters and J-johns in the parking lot but no fence. It went up in the 1970s with a boiler/chiller and zoned hydronic air handlers (very noisy) which were later replaced with DX splits. The chapel featured a pipe organ.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 01:16AM

A local NLI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What cross streets? I'll check it out.

Cooper north of the 202 in Gilbert.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 09:22PM

You must be an HVAC guy. *LOL*

Posted by: sum otha exmo ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 04:37AM

56th & Camelback was my old ward from way back in the '90s ... lulz

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 02:16AM

So it's a Hinko era vintage then.

Wow. Just wow.

I knew they were overbuilding out there cause I worked in that area a lot.

McChapels popped up every half mile.

The wards were bloated with fleeing-Californicaton Mormons with wads of cash.

Only one thing I can say.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIXOOwthtaE

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 04:52AM

The LDS chapel in Drumchapel Scotland is now a drug rehabilitation clinc!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 05:10AM

It's doing 1000x more good in it's present incarnation. I speak from the position of someone who has gone to both places for help with one problem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 05:11AM by midwestanon.

Date: June 26, 2015 08:31AM

Well the morg has put several of the old chapels here in Mesa that I knew as a lad on the real estate recycling market.

A couple of them still live on as Jewish synagogues hardy har.

Posted by: kingbrighamII ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:46AM

Cheryl,

Did that building used to be the second ward?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 01:41PM

I lived near Ogden at that time.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:06AM

Maybe it's to defend against the swarm of gay people who will be swarming the place, destroying the Institution of Marriage®.

Posted by: FrustratedMama ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 02:33PM

Thanks for that! I literally LOL'd!! My mormon neighbors were all outside talking the other day (I wasnt in the convo- was just doing yard work and overheard) and they were going on and on about this being so horrible for the sanctity of marriage. Hi-lar-i-ous!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 09:04PM

Oh HAH !

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 11:12PM

This poor woman has breakdown; it starts out funny, but then it's sad and uncomfortable and very, very scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0dkDxGwAO0

Posted by: A Local NLI ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 11:52PM

I drove past it today. The fence extends south the entire block to the next main street, so it look like the building will be leveled for commercial development.

It's a McChapel that resembles every other one for miles around, so they probably recovered the cost through the property sale. There's a big dumpster on each side of the building and two J-johns.

A sign on the fence at the corner of Cooper and Pecos read Rockpoint Center or something but Google didn't turn up anything.

This was a good opportunity to check out WinCo Foods, too. It's a cross between Costco and a super-sized chain grocery but without the style of the latter and industrial feeling of the former.

Next week I'll head to the other side of town and check on renovations south of Camelback.

Date: January 10, 2016 06:24PM

I drove past it again, today. It looks about the same. Whatever they're doing, they are taking their sweet time. There's yellow tape cordoning off the trees, probably for removal. They are removing the landscaping so it really is likely a demolition.

Date: July 16, 2017 03:50PM

Drove past it today. Evidently it had been closed for renovations. It's back open.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 02, 2015 03:59PM

But, in England, I saw a church built around 1300. I guess they built it to last. As for the penchant of TSCC to build identical chapels, it is absurd. I like to see different churches which show the personality of the places they are and the style of various ages. I could never live where all houses were the same.

Date: July 02, 2015 11:00PM

The Shape Of Things To Come

Get used to it morgies!

Hah hah!

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:11AM

Small-ish town in California. Now everybody has to go to a different town to attend church.

Not enough people to carry the load. Lots of tired people for many years. Converts didn't come. Experiments with mixing, separating, mixing, separating Anglos and Hispanics did not work.

Nobody now meets in what - in my childhood - was destined to become a stake center. The town population has doubled over the years (mostly Hispanic) but the (mostly Anglo) Mormon community dwindled and failed to capture Hispanic market share.

I have no idea what LDS Inc. will do with the property.

It is a part of my childhood that was a good childhood. Decades after leaving I could come back and people knew me and we could catch up. My emotions are mixed to say the least.

Posted by: enochianmagician ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 11:04AM

Actually, I used to attend that ward building and I have many neighbors who still attend. It is having a major renovation due to a major plumbing failure that destroyed much of the interior flooring.

I wish they were bull-dozing it because of the great exodus, but unfortunately, it is just undergoing renovations.

Date: July 16, 2017 03:54PM

Wish I had read all the replies first. Would have shaved 3 miles off my WinCo run today.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:42PM

150 years from now, Utah and the Wasatch front will have the best and the brightest in the world.

After the Great Decline that began in 1995 and ramped to a hilt with the collapse of The Church of Latter-day Saints in 2023, all the churches were sold off and became private, quasi-public, not for profit schools and with buildings every other block the class sizes afford excellent student:teacher ratios.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 02:12AM

If they would only place the correct sign on every building...

Another Manure Factory in Your Neighborhood!

Posted by: zero ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 05:39AM

This is an odd and old thread, but it got me interested!

A few years ago I moved to a different location in the eastern US, and so of course, when I first got there I went to go "check in" at the local ward. (Previously I had moved around a bit without changing my membership records and after a few years I started getting letters from SLC asking where I was. This time I figured it was better to just let them know where I was).

Anyway, when I drove out to the local ward it turned out that it was "closed for renovations" and there was a fence around it. At the time I thought it was odd. This looked like, and I'm pretty sure was, a relatively new building. But, I was happy, I figured that I tried to attend and thought I'd get some credit from the Big Guy for that.

More than a few months past, and I remember again that I need to make an appearance at the ward. So I make the 30 minute drive back and the building is still closed with a fence around it....

When I called to ask where the ward I was living in held their meetings it turned out to be, with Sunday morning traffic, almost an hour away! Needless to say, when I lived there I never saw any missionaries or encountered any members.

At the time, I thought it was odd because this was a relatively new building and even if there were a lot members around it still would not have been used all that much, so why did it need "renovations"?

After reading this thread I'm thinking that maybe the ward was just closed and then fenced off to keep out vagrants....Just speculation of course, but I literally never met or heard of any TBM's when I lived there. On the other hand of course, it could have just been getting renovated. Maybe I've been on this website too long and have started seeing ETB-like conspiracies everywhere.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 10:14AM by zero.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 13, 2016 11:17AM

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 11:18PM

The branch in Bushwick, Brooklyn has been closed.

Posted by: TempeX ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 02:21AM

Did some looking, saw this:

http://www.porterbrothers.com/portfolio/pecoscooper-lds-church-flood-damage-repairs/

The site says it has extensive flood damage...

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 03:15AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.