Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 07:12AM

But I thought the profit said to pretend to be nice to gays!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 10:07AM

My first girl friend (high school) lives in Delta. She married the first guy she meet when her family moved there. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me. I expect the police know who tortured this young man. That kind of torture does not just suddenly happen. The other thing it might be is the local religion wants the gay man gone. Most likely some boys are not allowed to go on missions because they are "friends" with this gay guy that was attacked.

Mormons in Utah have a history of killing and torturing those that do not live the Mormon Way. Just saying.

Posted by: enlightened1 ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 11:16AM

It seems that the exmormons need tolerance. We don't know the particulars. Those responsible are probably not Mormon. Inactive or exmormon at most.

Posted by: seeker ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 11:37AM

According to city-data.com Delta, Utah is 96% LDS, so it is actually far more likely that whoever did this IS Mormon (or at least counted among the Mormon membership). But you are correct, we do not know the particulars. These are individual acts by individual people. It is a tragedy that these things keep happening and not very much is being done to teach our communities tolerance and what Christianity, or just being a good person, ought to mean.

Posted by: wonderingone ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 11:38AM

In DELTA you really don't think they were Mormon?

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 11:53AM

enlightened1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems that the exmormons need tolerance. We
> don't know the particulars. Those responsible are
> probably not Mormon. Inactive or exmormon at most.
===================================================

Awright, who let the TBM-Ts in here?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 11:59AM

You don't know who they were, but you KNOW they weren't Mormon? Sorta like you KNOW the church is true? You KNOW Joseph Philandering Smith was a prophet? That how you KNOW?

One thing I know is that the entire state of Utah is infused with the bigoted Mormon agenda and it has permeated nearly every surface. The church controls the government and the soul and essence of the state reflect that. I don't know who did it, but Mormonism is not blameless. They have caused more harm to gay people than almost any group I can think of since the Nazis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 12:00PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 01:47PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 12:06PM

Enlightened1's post reminds me of something my mother once said. She was living in Elk Ridge, Utah, and my sister and her husband lived in the basement. One time my sister left her downstairs door open while away, and someone came in and took twenty dollars from the kitchen countertop. Mom said it had to be the inactive boys from down the street.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 01:54PM

I know because a truly dishonest TBM Mormon wouldn't bother taking a twenty. They would be too busy working on an MLM.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 12:24PM

What OTHER crimes do Delta Cops have to deal with?

Why can't they protect this boy, his family, their house and their business?!

Pigs!

Time to call in the Feds to provide some law and order for that backwards, piece of shit town.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 12:43PM

This story needs to be picked up by national media. Investigative reporters might do more good here than the police are doing.

If the victim has any photos of the knife-carved "Die Fag" horror, you know that every major news outlet would pick it up.

Shame on the people of Delta, including those who can't imagine how their local mormon mono-culture nurtures this kind of anti-gay sentiment. That may not be their conscious intent, but, yes, they are somewhat to blame.

Date: June 12, 2015 12:48PM

The Q Salt Lake link seems to be overwhelmed.

Here's another source:
http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/utah-hate-crime-gay.html

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 12:54PM

Hate exists everywhere. The elimination of one person or a group of people is what gangs do as well as some individuals. They all seem to have the same type of mentality - the criminal mind, entitlement to treat others as sub-human, no respect for the laws of the land, the right to do crimes as a right of passage, etc.
How these thugs think they can get away with such despicable violence is frightening. They have no concern about the consequences.
They will be found, charged, prosecuted, and thrown in prison. Unfortunately, there are others that will gravitate to these sick minds and thank them for what they did. That kind of criminal element is hopefully kept in prison for a long time.
These attitudes thrive in prisons.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 12:55PM

The cops have to know who did this horrible act. A person does not just jump to cutting words into a person's skin. Most likely him/they are the sons of the SP or Bishops, etc.

Those kinds of crimes in a small Mormon town do not happen in secret. Most likely on Sunday, the meetings will be about how God does not approve of violence wink wink.

There could also be a secret rival gay church cult in the area that he left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 12:57PM by themaster.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 02:18PM

I attended the Mormon church for 35 years. There was always bigoted talk about gays. But I never heard anyone condone this kind of violence in church meetings.

These kinds of suggestions make you sound like Ed Decker.

Keep it real...no need to make stuff up.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 05:28PM

REALLY? You didn't get the "Little Factories" pamphlet where Packer got a humorous laugh and even condoned such acts?

You didn't play "Smear the Qu**r" in Boy Scouts during YMYW nights?

The church doesn't say, "Go out and kill the 'f**s' ". But they do set up an environment where it is covered up, condoned and encouraged.

It's the same thing as what happened with the Mountain Meadow Massacre. The corporation could preach blood atonement, killing of gentiles and apostates to keep zion safe, etc... Yet when it happens, "We never told no one to kill anybody". Lee may have taken teachings to the extreme, but they were gospels and principles that were taught.

Posted by: Tonto ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 01:54PM

Poor man. I hate that he died this way.

I do want to point out that he could have been killed for common, everyday reasons... jealousy, revenge, greed, etc.

It seems that I read all the time of modern day "hate crimes" that are actually crimes for the usual reasons that people attempt to cover by "dressing it up" with hate-crime evidence.

And, for the record, I think ALL crimes are hate crimes. When a man is beaten to death for his tennis shoes, the consequences are no better than the evidence suggests this man may have died.

Of course, I tend to look at the bigger picture. Like those nearly 50 murders of black people in Baltimore last month that didn't get nearly as much press as Freddie Gray. They're no less dead because they were gunned down by other black men.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 05:16PM

Tonto Wrote:
> Poor man. I hate that he died this way.
>

Who said he was dead??

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 07:24PM

You're right. He's not dead. I just saw this on the news and the guy who was attacked was shown in it.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: June 13, 2015 12:26AM

Tonto Wrote:
> And, for the record, I think ALL crimes are hate
> crimes. When a man is beaten to death for his
> tennis shoes, the consequences are no better than
> the evidence suggests this man may have died.

I appreciate your point, but in this context, "hate crime" has a specific legal meaning: "Congress has defined a hate crime as a 'criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender's bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation'" (source: FBI). This man was pretty clearly attacked because he is gay, as is evidenced by the words carved into his arm and later spray painted on his dwelling, which is a protected class and thus makes it a hate crime. The qualities of one's tennis shoes, say, are not a protected class. The shooting of black men by black men is a hate crime if (and only if) there is evidence that the shooters shot them because they were black, or because they were in wheelchairs, or because they were gay, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2015 12:26AM by vman455.

Posted by: Tonto ( )
Date: June 13, 2015 01:54AM

First off, I thought I had read the man died. I am very grateful to be wrong on that account.

I understand the legal distinction, but I'm conflicted about hate crimes legislation. While it does bring much needed publicity to qualifying cases, it somehow seems to diminish the status of victims of other crimes.

If this man had been injured because a drug dealer was after him in a turf dispute, would we be discussing this?

Not being a victim of a hate crime was probably small comfort to those dead black men I spoke of earlier.

Date: June 12, 2015 02:03PM

The population of Delta is about 3,500. As noted above, 96% of those people are mormons.

In a town that small, with a mormon mono-culture, it is highly likely that many people know who is torturing the gay young man.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 02:11PM

Saying Delta is 96% Mormon is like saying there are 15 million Mormons.

I cannot believe 96% of the population of that town considers themselves Mormon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 02:15PM

I feel confident in opining that all the population between 15 and 30, who grew up in Delta, when they first heard the news, had a couple of names leap to the fore in their minds as 'those most likely...'

In one of John Sanford's Virgil Flowers novels, the state cops have to take over an investigation in a small inbred town and it is suggested to Virgil that he do an anonymous 'survey' of the towns people, inviting them to make a list of 10 inhabitants who could have committed the crime. It doesn't crack the case, but it sure made interesting reading.

But I bet if 300 Deltoids made an honest list of who could have done it, the guilty parties would be on all the lists.

Posted by: pogie ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 02:04PM

I hated talking that drive to visit them. I think everyone of her neighbors where LDS. They now Live in Boise and in another "STRONG" LDS neighborhood

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 03:57PM

Let's see.

Mormon Leaders are crying that the evil Gays are taking away the
Church's religious freedom.

Nah, that wouldn't lead any Mormon to do anything bad to a gay
man would it?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 06:51PM

Lets see, again.

As far as we know, (and please correct this statement, if there is any substantive historical contradiction to it) Adolf Hitler never actually pulled the trigger/ threw the switch / opened the valve / yanked the lever on any of the millions of victims that died during the Halocaust that he precipitated and then presided over, but there is no hesitation in labeling Hitler as a mass murderer.

What political /social / cultural climate prevailed in Utah in the 1850's ?

What was the ultimate out come of that prevailing (hostile) social climate relative to the Fancher Baker Wagon Train ?

Who was the leader most responsible for that prevailing (hostile) social climate in Utah in the 1850's ?

Can you figure out what the next question in this line of reasoning would be?

If you can, then you know what Brigham Young really was, and it AIN'T a prophet of god!

"THE" past of "THE" church is always there it inspire us... unless its the past that we are supposed to forget about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SY9LZ4wh4

Posted by: yankeekid ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 07:59PM

Charles Manson was not there when Sharon Tate and all the others were killed either.

Posted by: anonforthisexmorm ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 06:52PM

Oh my god :(

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 08:57PM

Where's the Equalizer when you need him? This is truly disturbing. I hope the FBI comes down on their asses and throws them in prison where they can be somebody's bitches.

Posted by: wanderer ( )
Date: June 13, 2015 01:37AM

This is so sad. I used to go to Delta every year because my grandparents used to live there. It was alright, except for the kids that acted like total a-holes to anyone who visited. I remember times when my brother and I were repeatedly made fun of while we were at church. Glad I won't have to visit again anytime soon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.