Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 01:38PM

Conversation with a TBM female at the grocery store:

TBM: I drove by your place the other day.
Me: Did you ring the door bell?
TBM: No I just drove by. I wanted to see where you lived.
Me: Was I out in the yard at the time?
TBM: Yes, you were out mowing.
Me: You should have stopped and chatted.
TBM: I just drove by.
Me: I live pretty far off the beaten path. Why did you drive by my home yet not stop in?
TBM: I wanted to see how you lived.
Me: And did you relay your experience to anyone in the ward?
TBM: I told the SP.

At this time, I had reached the register and was ready to check out.

She needed to know HOW I lived? Really... these people have nothing else to do but to do a drive by and report their findings to the SP? I hope the BP received the description, also. We wouldn't want him left out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 01:59PM

That is sick!!!!! It's stalkerish and obsessive. Yikes.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 03:23PM

There have been several people from the ward that have done this to me. I live on a dead end. They have to drive past my house to turn around. I can watch them from my living room window. One guy rode his bike about 5 miles just to get here. What a bunch of wacko's.

We put up a gate with a key pad. No more drive by's.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 03:34PM

Isn't that Mormonism in a nutshell?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:16PM

Since how you asked, no, although it registered well on the creepiness scale and got a very temporary blip on the intrusive scale, the incident desperately lacked in dishonesty and deceitfulness (LYING) which is a the premier MORmON specialty.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 03:36PM

"That's funny.... I drove by YOUR house and saw your husband with another woman."

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 02:03AM

LOLOLOL... that's hilarious!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:09PM

They admitted to being a creepy stalker? That's even creepier.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 08:05PM

Not really if you remember back when we were TBMs; wouldn't we just wait til the last day of the month and drop in to see families just when they were either eating or putting kids to bed... just so we could complete our home teaching/ visiting teaching obligations???

We just didn't think.

Often we would drive by inactives or widows to see if their lawns needed mowed or if they even still lived in the same house/ward area-- To see if they had moved without letting the ward clerk know.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:14PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:18PM

I'm just guessing that she may have typed "how" you live when she meant "where" you live as she said earlier.

Either way, that's just weird to drive by someone's house and not stop to chat and then tell you about their drive-by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2015 04:18PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:21PM

mowing your lawn? that really is evil.you are lucky she didn't call the cops. lol

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:53PM

So I assume the point was to make some irrelevant and not even accurate assessment of your economic status by viewing your property? As in, damn, they had a huge house and ten cars? Or, nanny nanny poo poo, they had a tiny little home and only one car, hahahaha?

Judging people that way is ridiculous and relays no information about them at all. My FIL discovered a large amount of the oil in Saudi Arabia as a geologist, and yet he likes to live in a decent but modest home and only has ordinary cars, one for him and one for my MIL. He has also his old rusty farm truck ½ ton sitting in front of the house that he drives out to his land when he’s going out to check on his hay fields. You might mistake him for a hillbilly if you didn’t know better. The guys worth millions; it’s just his MO not to flaunt it.

Meanwhile, some young people have big huge fancy homes and drive multiple expensive cars, yet it’s all owned by the bank. Posing like you’re wealthy doesn’t mean you necessarily are. So, what did they expect to find out about you by stalking your property anyway? And I haven’t even mentioned character being worth far more than your bank account; at least that’s how I size people up (in the few cases where I even bother about ‘sizing people up’ at all.)

Anyway, I already know from my neighbors about how money is status to some Mormons. You should see all the boats and cars and motorbikes and quads they own. I just wonder when they ever get a chance to use them with all the church requirements they have upon their time. I think it’s all just for show. They’re always pulling the boat out onto the street, then its back in the backyard, and then it’s back out on the street again; back and forth and back and forth. I don’t think it ever actually goes in the water; it’s just for show apparently. It doesn’t impress me though. I see how they live; their grumpiness betrays them constantly.

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 07:49PM

Thank you for your post. You are correct: Judging a book by its cover is not give a person even a glimpse of what is contained inside. She could have just googled our address, pulled up the "street view" and not have had to travel from her home to ours.

It's just plain intrusive and creepy as Hades.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 07:30AM

It is creepy! But I've just been sitting here wondering *WHY* you would have rather had the ward stalker actually stop and chat? <shivers>

That seems like a far worse fate than a simple drive-by. Just sayin.'

;o)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 08:15PM

After we moved into our dream home in '84 lots of Raymond Mormons would take a detour to drive by and gawk. And, if I happened to be in the front yard I'd flip 'em the bird. That sped 'em up.

Ron Burr

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 08:22PM

And the discussion of your status went like this.

(If you appear to be doing well): "Satan is tempting Pixie Dust with the things of the world. Let that be a lesson to us all of what happens if we fall away."

(If you appear to be doing poorly): "Pixie Dust is enduring the bitter fruits of inactivity. Let that be a lesson to us all of what happens if we fall away."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 12:02AM

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 01:51AM

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 02:11AM

Sounds like she needs a hobby, suggest knitting.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 03:22AM

I have to admit, my initial reaction to this post was a chuckle, but then it brought back the memory of the last time we were visited by someone from the church. I started writing about it and got angry at the church all over again.

It sucks, too, because I truly believe most church members have good intentions and don't see how their creepy, intrusive, and ultimately divisive behavior is wrong. I hate feeling this way about people who probably mean well.

Anyway... I've done my venting now.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 09:29AM

What did she expect? Drunk in a ditch...thus we see the ways of those who strive against this great latter-day work and so on?

Agree with knot above--creepy.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 10:30AM

Stalker Alert!!

I had to learn to ask nosy people "And why did you need to know that?"

It often wakes them up to their behavior.

For the people who are so clueless I have NO problem telling them that their behavior is unwanted, abnormal and to stay the heck away from me.

RMM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.