Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:44PM

I'm 65 now, and having denied myself many worldly pleasures because I was deluded by Mormonism for most of my life, I have been selectively and with moderation, trying some forbidden things. Here's some of them.

-Drinking Beer. Exploring the varieties of beers and ales.

-Drinking tea and coffee, also exploring varieties and studying the epicurian details of that.

-Wine, whiskey, etc... meh. Tried it, not too fond of it, beer will do me.

-Tobacco. Granted, we can all agree that this is bad for you. But when you are old, maybe a little dabbling is within reason. I bought a pipe and some Prince Albert today. I rather like it, but will limit myself to one or two bowls daily.

-Weed. I have never tried weed. I want to, though. It's on my bucket list. I can't do it now, because I'm employed and get randomly tested, and it's against the law anyway where I'm at. When I retire though, I will definitely be taking a little side trip to Colorado.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:49PM

This reminds me of this really old guy I saw in a documentary about the modern tattoo & piercing culture.

This old guy, after his wife died when they were in their 80s, he started hanging out with younger people. He just liked hanging out at the local tattoo parlor. He got a bunch of tattoos, & even ended up getting ear gauges.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:49PM

here in Colorado our pot pies are made with real pot.

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 07:01PM

Here I am just shy of 60 and only a couple of years ago did I get my first two tattoos. Sometimes you have to do a lot of living before you finally give yourself permission to let loose and have some fun.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 07:39PM

"...until you've had a good cigar and a shot of whiskey, you're missing the second and third best things in life" --Horton, from Paint Your Wagon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2015 07:40PM by onendagus.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 08:21PM

This for Sure!!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 09:03PM

I misread that for a split second.

I thought you said you had got a pipe and a Prince Albert! :o))

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 02:15PM

Some pipes get a Prince Albert.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 09:09PM

Yup, after living respectable, responsible lives for 60+ years, we're entitled to do what we want.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 04:29AM

I grew up in a tea-drinking family (never liked coffee) but went for 17 years without a drop of tea. I missed it terribly.

When I finally chucked Mormonism, it was SO wonderful to go back to piping hot tea in winter, delicious iced tea in summer!

And I admit, I only have a few more birthdays to go before I hit the big SEVEN-OH, but I got my first tattoo (and probably the last one - this is the only one I ever really wanted!) just last month. It delights me every time I look at it.

We don't keep alcohol in the house, but I almost always order a drink with dinner when we go out. Just one, because I come from a long line of alcoholics and am cautious. My favorite drink is a margarita - oh, my! But there are those days when only a Glenfidditch or Famous Grouse will do (thanks to Brigantia, for introducing me to the latter!) The stuff buckles my knees but delights my heart.

And NEVER - even when I was at my most TBM - did I buy into that nonsense of not watching R-rated movies. DH once made an innocent reference to "Schindler's List" in Sunday School, and the looks we got were fascinating. Many other people had obviously seen it too, and nodded in agreement at the point he made. The Goody-Two-Shoes contingent regarded us with horror.

There is always this tiny "frisson" of delight when I do something that I know the church would frown on. I think of it as the icing on the cake.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 01:25AM

Gawd, I once made a reference to a well-known Mel Brooks movie quote at my LDS workplace and my boss, a guy who married late to a little Molly and had two little girls who enjoyed their parents' steady diet of Dizney flicks, put on a look of intense distaste and judgmentalism. How could I watch a Mel Brooks movie? He called me on it, and tried to make me feel small and unworthy in front of my co-workers.

Too bad about his tiny dick, poor little fella...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 06:05AM

65 is still young. Over 100 is old.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 12:51PM

I am growing out my hair, in case I should happen to become proficient on the guitar, so I can join a Big Hair metal group, and tour retirement communities the world over!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 06:07PM

Oh, I forgot that particular forbidden act! I've grown my hair for 6 years without a haircut. A very good way to indicate that a guy is no longer TBM!

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 09:55PM

rationalist01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, I forgot that particular forbidden act! I've
> grown my hair for 6 years without a haircut. A
> very good way to indicate that a guy is no longer
> TBM!

Ha! I grew my hair out while I was leaving the church. I was just sick of being forced to have short hair for so long (BYU, Corporate job) that as soon as I could grow it out, I did. Now I prefer it. Chicks dig it too.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 01:03PM

This is why I love rfm. We thought we were the only "old" geezers trying these new things. We too want to try weed before we leave this life. Hope our state legalizes it pretty soon so we can check that off our bucket list. Thanks everyone. You make us smile!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 01:37PM

When you are in your 60's + the perspective does change a bit. I have a cigar once or twice a month. Along with the cigar a high quality whiskey on ice or straight up hits the spot. There is something relaxing about leisurely smoking the cigar and sipping a smooth drink. It is a quiet commitment for 45 minutes or more - a form of meditation.

Clearly I am not advocating smoking. This is a rare pleasure. The cigars are $8-$12 apiece. It would be a far too expensive a habit in addition to any health concerns. However, I am in my 60's and this topic was relevant to me.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 03:53PM

When I was in college, back in the stone age or before, I actually tried a pipe and cigars. I smoked the pipe for a couple of minutes, twice. It was a really cool pipe, sort of what you would attribute to Sherlock Holmes. Alas, it did not move me. I smoked about four cigars, one each semester for two years, and found, to my chagrin, that it was not too bad so long as it was a long cigar and I only smoked the first half. At that point it got really awful. Another problem was taste. I've always had excellent taste but after a single cigar it would take over two weeks before I got it back. So, I won't try again when I reach old age which is a long way away because I've decided I won't be old until I'm over 100 and even then, I hope to live a generation beyond 100.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 04:16PM

I'm 58 and I'd like to try a mixed drink of some sort. Never done that.

I was at a wedding and people were ordering drinks, but I just got ginger ale because I didn't have a clue of what to ask for.

I also don't know what's a reasonable amount for a 130-lb person who is the driver. One drink would be safe, I assume, or else nobody would be going home.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 09:09PM

One of my daughters studied bartending, and she knows all the data about how quickly a person of whatever body weight can absorb X amount of alcohol, with or without food, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I could order a single mixed drink with a meal, sip it slowly, linger over the meal, and drive home if I don't feel any kind of buzz, it's probably OK.

It's the "probably" part that scares me. Unless somebody else is driving, I don't drink alcohol when I go out. Period.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.