Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smo ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 05:43PM

Hi board,

Our family of 5 is now crafting our resignation letter. I had a question and called the member records division of the lds church as listed on rfm: 801-240-2053.

Abinadi answered the phone (this is no BS).

I asked him several questions, then before the end of the call he asked me if I had the correct address.

I said yes, but just to confirm, I said I had the address of:

Members Records Division, LDS church
50 E North Temple, Room 1372
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-5310

Then, he said "No, that's not correct". He then gave me the following address:

Office of the first presidency
47 E South Temple St.
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-1010

I just wanted to share this with the board. My phone call took place at approximately 3:30 pm Mountain Time, today, Wednesday June 3rd, 2015. (I dialed the above phone number).

I just wanted to share this info. And to confirm it's accuracy (in case you wanted to call and verify this too).

Richard? Susan? The "how to resign" info may need to be updated.

Courtesy of smo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:15PM

Office of the First Presidency? Really? This seems significant to me if those resignation letters are going to the head office. I wonder when that changed, and why? hmmmmmmm

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:19PM

They probably had a boat load of people in the records office that left the church after reading and processing resignations every day. Also, they probably want to keep that number of resignations more of a secret from the crowd.

An last but not least, it's probably also an attempt at playing a mind game with people who leave.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:56AM

When our family resigned 10 years ago I called Greg Dodge (very nice) to confirm my records had been removed. I took the time while he was checking his computer to ask how many they were processing and removing. He said almost 75K a year. This fit the numbers at that time.

Now having is moved one could assume it's because they want more control, more hands on and secrecy.

Date: June 03, 2015 06:19PM

Finally, one of my posts gets a notice!

(there were already 5 replies to a post about Duane "The Rock" Johnson above this ---geeez)

I was considering changing my screen name to "The Sinker" as each of my last 2 posts just sunk right to the bottom of the page and outta sight.

(what I thought were well thought-out and reasoned posts that I was excited to share)

Oh well.

We're a family of 5 crafting our exit letter right now. I thought this info was kinda important to share considering there may be others right now looking to send in their letters.

Sorry to be such a bother rfm!!!?

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:33PM

smo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Finally, one of my posts gets a notice!
>
> (there were already 5 replies to a post about
> Duane "The Rock" Johnson above this ---geeez)
>
> I was considering changing my screen name to "The
> Sinker" as each of my last 2 posts just sunk right
> to the bottom of the page and outta sight.
>
> (what I thought were well thought-out and reasoned
> posts that I was excited to share)
>
> Oh well.
>
> We're a family of 5 crafting our exit letter right
> now. I thought this info was kinda important to
> share considering there may be others right now
> looking to send in their letters.
>
> Sorry to be such a bother rfm!!!?

Okay, now I'm confused. Is this for real, or were you trying to make a point about your posts not being responded to?

(If it's any consolation, I think we all think at some time or other that our posts go unanswered.)

Date: June 03, 2015 06:35PM

It's real! Please call the Ph # and confirm (or anyone else reading this, so it's not just coming from me).

Sorry for the vent. I love you rfm, I really do. -smo

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:41PM

Sometimes there are no replies to a post because it says it all so well that it doesn't need to be added to. Take it as a compliment rather than the other way.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 08:53PM

This.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:44PM

Thanks, smo.

This is amazing.

On reflection, I am now 100% certain resigning a few years ago was the right thing for us to do. I am now absolutely positive TSCC is a made up cult that we are glad to be out of.

But I also remember having more than a little bit of anxiety when I wrote that letter. And I think many people in the throes of leaving are a little bit nervous about it.

What this new policy does is change the game for those anxious people from "Write a letter to a bureaucrat? No problem." to "Write a letter to the First Presidency? Whoa!"

This is an unadulterated attempt at intimidation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:47PM

Do you think so? Wow. So perhaps they are trying to intimidate members from resigning.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 06:43PM

How very odd! Perhaps other board members can call to confirm.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 08:43PM

The correct address is:

120 North 200 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84103

it's on my website at http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm

Date: June 03, 2015 09:20PM

Hi Richard,

I respect and admire you in so many ways.

I appreciate your response.

The address you shared is different from the ones I shared.

At this point, I don't mind sending our resignation to all 3 addresses!

I'd still like to have someone (or two, three) call the phone # in the OP and see if they can verify the new address.

(Preferably getting someone on the horn other than Abinidi!)

-smo

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 09:24PM

I'm still laughing about Abinidi. I hope that's a fake name. Who would do that to their own child? Oh wait! I know the answer to that, what was I thinking?
Signed
Grandmother of : Bruce and Mabel.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 01:26PM

I called Confidential Records directly at 800-453-3860 extension 22053,

And I got Abinadi. I asked him for the mailing address, and he started to give me the address for the First Presidency the OP listed. I interrupted him and asked why it was to go to the FP and not directly to Confidential Records. He said that the address he was giving me would end up getting to them in a "special room." I asked him "where's the room number in the address? - I don't see a room number." He said that it's the "1010" in the zip code.

So OP was correct.

Date: June 04, 2015 01:46PM

Thanks for the update and info Richard! May I have permission to share what you posted here on another mormon recovery site?

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 09:31PM

I hope you mailed your letter registered with a return receipt. You might have to prove you mailed it. Most important--the moment the Mormon church signs that receipt, they have been legally notified, and YOU ARE OFFICIALLY RESIGNED!

Maybe the slimy cult is going to try to dodge resignations, by changing its address, like my TBM con-man nephew dodges bill-collectors.

The cult eluded my first request for a cancellation of temple sealing by saying, "We have no record of ever receiving any documents from you...." TSCC also tried that when I resigned eight years ago. I called Greg Dodge's office, after waiting 3 months, to see what was delaying the confirmation of resignation.

"Abinadi" said, "We have no record of ever receiving a letter from you."

Me: "I have a postal return receipt signed by your office, Receipt Number _ _ _ _ _. My attorney has a photocopy of the receipt."

Abinadi: "Just a moment..............Oh, I found your letter in our files!

In those days, it was harder to resign. I was subjected to visits from two bishops (our ward changed bishoprics, around that time) and 5 months of waiting, and one more call to Greg Dodge himself, in which I threatened to sue TSCC. They mailed out the confirming letter that same day.

Don't be disappointed if the letter of confirmation says only that "your name has been removed from the rolls." They are too chicken-shit to use the word "resigned."

Yes, a cult is very hard to leave. Other churches, you just walk out the door.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 09:46PM

I just sent mine via USPS to my bishop's home with a,return receipt . I was off the rolls in 30 days

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 03, 2015 09:54PM

They probably needed a bigger office to handle the mail they have been recieving in the resignation department.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 01:16AM

Following

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 02:12AM

Interesting, interesting. I would so love to be a fly on the wall of that office to see how many resignations (yeah!) are received on the average in a week.

I hope the mailperson has complained at least a time or two about the heaviness of the mail bag.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 03:16AM

Interesting and exciting that resignation letters can now be addressed to:

Dear Mr. Monson, and clown counselors, ...

And ended with, "dismissively yours..."

Or some such...

Hmm... What would they do upon receipt of a resignation letter addressed to Sister Sheri Dew?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 10:24AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 09:57AM

Yeah!

"My family and I are not giving you lying thieves one more dime and we promise to do the same with our children and our children's children unto the third and fourth generations!"

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 11:10AM

+1

Date: June 04, 2015 10:31AM

Next morning update -

If someone wouldn't mind confirming this with a phone call today - it would be appreciated.

The phone # is in the OP.

Any takers?

The reason I'm bugged is because isn't there some game they play with letters addressed to the first presidency? (they send them right back to your sp?)

I'm confused! And I don't want a bunch of delay with our resignation.

Thanks, I'll check back!

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:53PM

I called this morning. Abinadi answered.

I confirmed the address to be:

Office of the First Presidency
47 E South Temple St.
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-1010

Richard Packham (and any others who offer this information), you may wish to update your web page, based on the mouths of two or more witnesses!

;^)

Date: June 04, 2015 01:19PM

Thanks Moose!

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:59AM

We sent our resignation letters return receipt to Member Records, Bishop Dipshit, Stake President Dumbass, and all their counselors in an effort to be clear that we want out of the destructive Mormon cult.

Within 3 weeks we received our confirmation letters.

That was 2006 from WA. We feel so "blessed" to be out.

Good Luck smo...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 01:30PM

To send the letter to member records in SLC and copy the local yokels. This way everyone knows they need to act or look like fools. As soon as one of the copies arrives to any of these guys, the exmo is officially OUT!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.