Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:19PM

Don’t yield to Satan’s lie that you don’t have time to study the scriptures. Choose to take time to study them. Feasting on the word of God each day is more important than sleep, school, work, television shows, video games, or social media. You may need to reorganize your priorities to provide time for the study of the word of God. If so, do it!

--Richard Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:35PM

To me, scriptures were always either of two things. Things encouraging good, usually self-evident and no surprise..Things I already knew. Or, ridiculous myths and legends that on the face of them cannot and should not be believed. I realize that some people appreciate the bible because of it's literary form, mostly derived from the English translation. As for the Book of Mormon, it's so terrible in all senses that I could never get through it. I came to the conclusion that it's simply a boring fantasy concocted by some early 19th century frauds. I stand by that to this day.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:06PM

I can't see how this is nuts - you do make time for what you feel is important. Like that saying: If it's important, you find a way - if it's not, you find an excuse. If the scriptures were really important to Mormons, they'd find the time to read them. If you think it's nuts to read the scriptures, that's a valid point but the fact that someone can make time for something that IS important to them is not nuts.

That being said, pretty much everything "Elder" Scott says is irritating, mostly because of the way he says it - like his voice is the auditory equivalent of a sledgehammer.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:19PM

I'd say it's nuts. Sacrifice an hour of sleep each day and see if it affects your health and mental well-being. Neglect your studies for an hour each day to see if it affects your learning. Leave work an hour early each day and see how long you stay employed. Scripture study should not be more important than any of those things. Television, I understand. Work, sleep, etc..., nuts.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 03:09PM

My feelings exactly.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:35PM

In other words, anything to keep you paying and obeying the church should always be the number one priority, godammit.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 10:57PM

That doesn't scream cult, does it? As thought spending hours and hours at church each week just doesn't cut it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:04PM

word of god ?

Posted by: wanderer ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 01:08AM

So basically, don't listen to Satan when he tells you that you need sleep. Hm, sounds like great advice.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 01:43AM

the BoM was heralded as telling the 'plain & precious truths' of God's/Christ's gospel which were said to be AWOL from the Bible...

anyone mature Knows the P&PTs of Christ's gospel are Kindness, Honesty.

Healthy marriages / partnerships: Desires + Skills; very little to do with 'church' or gospel!

yet LDS, Inc. REFUSES focus on Any of the Above!!!!

Isn't it Wonderful! Marvelous!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 04:17PM

What? Youtube cat videos ARE the word of God.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 04:40PM

Had a roommate at BYU who faithfully read her scriptures every night before bed. I think it put her directly to sleep. Worked just as Mark Twain reported: "It is chloroform in print."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 05:12PM

The thing that bothers me most about the original quote is the assumption- never to be challenged- that there really is a Satan, an incorporeal entity who really has the power to influence our lives and thoughts. The corollary is that anyone who fails to take time to XXX (whatever the speaker wants to emphasize) is really and truly a follower of that Satan, and thus a direct enemy of God.

Show me direct, incontrovertible evidence for Satan- that does not require emotional input- and I will believe Mr. Scott. Until such time, how about we go for the "find out who you are and what you want out of life" approach? How about the "I guess you are adults and deserve to be treated as such" approach? How about we simply let people set their own priorities? Can't have that, now can we? Because that would imply that people like Mr. Scott are perhaps just a little bit irrelevant...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 05:24PM

Satan had nuthin' to do with my never reading scripture. They're just all so fucking boring...and life is too short to read boring shit!...or worry about some horned red demon asshole who doesn't exist anyway.

Ron Burr

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 05:32PM

So reading the boring morg scriptures is more important than school,work sleep etc...!!! That's pretty messed up!!

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 01:05AM

"Feasting on the word of God each day is more important than sleep, school, work..."

How are people supposed to pay lots of tithing if they can't get a good education and can't do well with jobs because they spend so much time reading the scriptures?

Posted by: Rick Scotty ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 08:31AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,412766,412766#msg-412766

Seriously, please don't study the "scriptures" too much or you might leave the church!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 01:19PM

Rick Scotty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,412766,41276
> 6#msg-412766
>
>
> Seriously, please don't study the "scriptures" too
> much or you might leave the church!

so true.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 04:18PM

Don't find out who you are, discover your truths, or learn what you're good at or study what interests you.

Don't fellowship or friendship others who are- or may be- more creative, thoughtful or 'different' than you.

Don't think anything!!
Don't wonder anything!
Don't FEEL anything!!!

Just read this book! (It's all you need to do, nothing else.): Mark Twain's, "Life On The Mississippi"

Pound for pound, *this book* is worth much, much more in terms of (what the church professes to teach) value to humanity - in terms of morality and character building - than the BOM, which teaches nothing but killing from end to end, and is nowhere near a fascinating story, to make little mention of it being completely plagiarized, falsified, eternally updated and wholy unbelievable [ask the Holy Ghost].

Cut down on your yoga, stop wasting time visiting loved ones and friends, ease up on your chanting, spend less time on your knees, praying for Church to end, or your assets, sitting around reading LDScriptures, if that's what it takes!

"Be yourself. Everybody else is already taken." _Oscar Wilde

The (one of the) STRANGE THING about LDSpeak (Mormoni culture) is that it is a follower culture. It follows members, to see if they are following it.
I wouldn't follow it if it were right in front of me.

I'd rev the engines and give it a quick pass. As It should be - Mormoni follows me - I am the leader.

It's such a bad example. A temporary church talking about eternal fluff it (CLEARLY) knows nothing about.

Take time and burn the scriptures.
Tell them we told you so.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 01:54AM

When TBM DH and I were first married (I was more or less TBM too, at that time) we got the whole family up 15 or 20 minutes earlier than usual and read scriptures together.

I have never been a morning person, so ANYTHING that gets me out of bed a moment earlier than absolutely necessary is not likely to win my approval. But I tried to play nice to please my new hubby.

The kids hated it, with the exception of the youngest, who was not yet literate, and tried very hard to look pious, often holding her own little set of scriptures upside-down because she didn't know the difference, and she would run her little finger down the page with a solemn expression, as if following along. (She was often the most amusing element in the entire venture. Years later, she would leave the church the same day I did.)

We got absolutely NOTHING out of it. The kids would be irritable and start fighting about almost anything. It was the least "spiritual" experience anyone could imagine.

Fortunately, the sad little experiment died before long from lack of nourishment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.