Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:02PM

How many of you have spiritual gifts? Who among us ex-moes is more of a prophet, seer, or revelator than the fake ones in SLC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:17PM

Probably all of us have more prophetic power than those old geezers, when it comes to our own personal life and our day-by-day decisions. I think Tolstoy is right: "To follow the heart is the truest wisdom." Our gut reactions are usually correct. The Mormons rely on a pressure-induced group hysteria. When you are caught up in a wave of emotion, when you are crying, when you are blinded by warm, fuzzy feelings--that is not the time to make decisions. A person needs to be still, quiet, and meditative, and get all the facts--all the truths--before making a decision or "prophesy". All of us have that ability.

As far as financial projections, medical prognoses, child-rearing advice, etc., I would rely on the experts!

We are wiser than the TBM's, because we seek the truth, and have a variety of opinions to consider. We're not living back in the 1950's, or the pioneer days of polygamy. The Mormon prophets and their followers are very closed-off to the present world.

Their childishness makes them think they can get away with lying. Their arrogance makes them, just, well, stupid.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:25PM

I was blessed with a vivid imagination.....that's it.

Ron Burr

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:56PM

The only gift I have is the wisdom of age. I don't know what "spiritual" means, and never have known. I have deep and moving experiences by observing nature and by experiencing the utter joy of living. A new baby, a Wyoming sunset, a violent thunderstorm, a Kentucky expanse of greenness, etc., so if someone chooses to define those as spiritual, fine. I just define them as precious life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 04:56PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:01PM

I (and many people I know) can be very intuitive. I understand that as the ability to pick up on a lot of little cues and process them so quickly that I'm not consciously aware of how I'm doing it. It's a wonderful survial mechanism endowed by nature.

The best part is that because I'm not claiming divine inspiration or infallibility, when I find out I'm wrong, I can easily adjust and correct rather than digging in and demanding to be believed.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:07PM

I posess the gift of finding the closest parking space and/or my car keys.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:21PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I posess the gift of finding the closest parking
> space and/or my car keys.

truly enviable

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:21PM

Thats the best.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:21PM

Spiritual gifts? What are they?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:34PM

If you tried to nail down a TBM on why the Prophets Seers, and Revelators haven't done jack, like foretelling earthquakes or wars, they'd say "God doesn't work that way" or "People are responsible for their own actions". However, crack open the bible, or Joe Smith stuff, and it's full of horrid predictions and commands to wipe out people, as well as the way a building be built and who goes where on what mission. The TBM will trot out the usual "You don't have faith" and "We don't know god's ways".

I think the people that toss out crackpot theories on Coast to Coast A.M. may have a better track record...

Darn, this response was supposed to sound smarter, but I'm just not smart today.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:20PM

but I dismissed many "feelings" because they didn't align with church teachings or what the leaders told me. Now, I just listen. I don't give advice per my feelings. I just watch things as they occur. Most of the time, I'm right, but these feelings only have to do with me and my life and those closest to me.

The last time they put in a new bishop--and my daughter was all excited to be going to church to find out, I said, "It will be _______________." And she was shocked that I already knew and the bishop (a friend) got a big kick out of it when she told him. He wasn't the obvious person to be put in as bishop. It just came to me when she was getting ready to go to church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 06:32PM by cl2.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:39PM

Similar incident on a bishop and primary president.

My wife was interviewed to be a counselor in the stake primary presidency after he said that I stated that 'so and so' was the selected as the president ----- right.

The stake counselor said I don't know how you know that but please don't tell anyone else as we haven't called everyone and won't put them in for x weeks.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:27PM

My only super power is to tell what will fit in what space. If I buy something large at a store, I will know if I can put in it my tiny car or not.

This, unfortunately is not a god-like power, but it is very useful.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 10:56PM

I wouldn't say I have spiritual gifts.

I would say I have had a lot of 'spirit' experiences. Premonitions, visions, impressions, just happened to get somewhere I was not even looking for until I unexpectedly found out such a place existed, dreams, and voices of warning and comfort. Actually, got an answer to a prayer that the church was not true ----- wish I would have asked earlier than I did.

Some of the above came from 'spirit' and others came from my subconscious but sometimes it is hard to tell. Normally, when the dreams come as a story I believe it comes from my subconscious which I regard as high as 'spirit' information.

Just glad the experiences have always been helpful and positive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 10:57PM by spiritist.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:50PM

Name ONE TIME in the last 25 years that the president of the LDS Church spoken "as a prophet."

One time, that's all I ask.

And I'll make it as general as I can--name one time that the
president of the Church (referred to as "the Prophet" over and
over in Church publications) has given ANYTHING to the
membership that he claims was given to him by God. It doesn't
have to be a prediction about the future or anything earth
shattering like new scripture. I'll settle for ANYTHING where
he says he got it from God to give to the membership.

When we quote Brigham Young to TBM's the standard reply is
that, "he was speaking as a man." Name ONE TIME in the last
quarter century where the president of the Church has
specifically stated that he is speaking as a PROPHET and not
SPEAKING AS A MAN.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 12:01AM

I actually have one so-called spiritual gift, which they would call the gift of tongues. Not the holy roller speaking gibberish in a trance BS, but being able to pick up languages rapidly and speaking all but accent free. Anything - from my european mission, to Chinese office mate, Tanzanian office mate, Turkish office mate - I can reproduce sounds nearly identical. 'Course, it has jack to do with the spirit - it's just a random draw of genes that permit mimicry. I'd trade it in an instant to have been born in a rich family instead...

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 01:54AM

Something of an animal whisperer. My dad is the same way and so are two of my kids. My dad has had parrots at flea markets try to follow him home. They'll fly from their perch to him like 20 yards away and just nuzzle him. I've been able to pet and interact with a lot of animals that were biters to anyone else.

My youngest daughter and I were followed by a little cow-nosed Ray at the aquarium. They have a little tank set up where you can pet them. No matter where we stood around it, this sweet baby would come right to us and lift half its body out of the water so we could pet it. We would leave for awhile to look at other exhibits, come back and it would zero in on us all over again. My husband didn't really believe in our "super powers" until then. I attracted all sorts growing up, and had been nicknamed Ellie May by most of my family.

We are currently fostering nine kittens through the local humane society, and the mom is feral. She's not warming up to me, which is odd, but all the kittens use her for nursing but snuggle and play with me. They hear my voice in another room and really make a racket yowling for me to come get them. I kinda love it.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 02:52PM

I can hypnotize chickens (a "gift" I acquired during my mission to Central America).

Posted by: Richard ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 03:18PM

SO, just curious. Isn't the bishop supposed to tell you what gifts you have? How do you know you REALLY have a 100% church approved gift you aren't a bishop or a GA?
Do you just label yourself?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.