Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:44AM

I just bought a new laptop, set it up myself, and now I can't remember the password to get onto the thing.

What to do?

See update below.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 03:46PM by wine country girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hmcret ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 09:13AM

Lurker here,

Do a search for trinity rescue kit. You will need to download and burn to a cd, it will be a bootable linux command line type application. It will allow you to clear the password so you can set another.

Be careful with it, as it offers a lot of other items that could, if not used properly, screw up your computer for you.

Bill

Posted by: guy you know ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 09:42AM

It's true. Using a simple Linux boot disk is how police get everything off your computer. You simply go to "boot from other device," or whatever, as the computer is starting up. It prompts you to do this each time you start your computer, but you probably never notice it. It will generally use the F9 or F12 key. Then you put in the disk and boot, and behold, you can call up all your files. There are hundreds of varieties of Linux boot disks. If you want, I can make you the simplest one I can find and send it with instructions. However, I personally have never tried to do the password thing you are asking about. I'd have to try it out to see how. I've only played with them because they are fun to dink with.

Date: May 24, 2015 10:33AM

Any help you care to give is greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 10:39AM

Because I'm lazy, I would take it back to the place I bought it and ask the tech folks there to re-set it.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:00AM

I remember having trouble with mine too at one point. I discovered that at some point my PC password became the same as my Google/gmail password. I don't remember changing it to do that but must have checked a box or something. Did you try your Google password?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 11:02AM by seekyr.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 10:51AM

I don't know what to do about this issue. However after you find out download a program called keypass to record all your passwords. I also keep all of mine written down and hidden in a safe place.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:04AM

Are you sure it's password protected? Don't forget to try no username/password at all, just by hitting return.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:22AM

If it has gone back to default, you might try admin for the username and admin for the password, or try admin and leave the password space blank.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 01:43PM

Windows 8 gives the option during setup to use your Microsoft Live account (live, hotmail, msn, possibly xbox).

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 02:09PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_Live_USB_creator

https://getfedora.org/

1. Install Fedora Live on a USB Drive
2. Boot into Linux from the USB drive and copy/backup files from the hard drive
3. Re-install Windows -- it tries to backup old files if possible

After you install Fedora on your flash drive, check and make sure you can boot from a USB drive in your BIOS. Reboot the computer and hold down the DEL (or F2 or F11 -- it varies) key.

If everything is OK, insert the USB drive in an available slot and reboot the computer. The Fedora version of Linux should come up. You want to open a file manager called Dolphin. It should be one of the available menu choices with a filing cabinet icon and may or may not have a name on it. There will be menu icons for the computer's hard drive. It won't have drive letter names like Windows but will list them under the size in GB if you have not named it already.

Once you get to the root folder of your hard drive (remember the slash is / on Linux and \ on Windows) look for the User folder and then another folder with your user name from Windows. This is where the default Download and Documents directories are. Backup everything you want to save on another USB drive.

If you have lost your password it's practically impossible to get it back without cracking it and that's a lot of trouble to go through. It's easier to re-install Windows. When you do that, it automatically backs up your old files in a folder called Windows.old if you have everything stored in the default folders this is OK but it's not always 100% so that's why it's best to do it from Linux first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 02:25PM by anybody.

Date: May 24, 2015 03:45PM

Took it back to store and they reset it. Crisis over. Thanks for all your helpful replies.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:54PM

Date: May 24, 2015 05:13PM

Hahaha!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:38PM

I've forgotten passwords before, but upon "sleeping on it," I remembered. You might remember it after a while... Maybe not.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:37PM

If someone else has root/admin rights on your machine it's a snap. Be careful though. I have absolutely no interest in snooping but other people might.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 05:38PM by anybody.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:29PM

I use the Windows 7 operating system. If I make a keying error when trying to login it gives this error message:

"The user name or password is incorrect"

So, I have setup my password to be "incorrect". That way, if I ever make an error entering it, the system tells me that my password is incorrect.

Problem solved.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:45PM

Should have gotten an Apple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.