Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 12:20AM

God, when you're a member of their church, they want a picture of you for their records...now when you're dead, they want pictures of you too!

They can have fun finding my carcass. I will not only be cremated, but part of me will go into Lake Michigan, and the rest of me will be dumped off the coast of my native Maine.

Safely far away from the Morridor, basking in the element ruled by Satan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 12:21AM by godtoldmetorun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 12:22AM

I don't have a problem with what they are doing, although I prefer FindAGrave.com . It's preserving pictures of headstones that will eventually be unreadable.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 01:08AM

That's not why they are doing this and it's not some form of service for the deceased's families.

This is purely for Mormon purposes. It keeps Mormon youth busy doing vicarious work for the dead aka "Temple Work."

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 02:09AM

Yes, I understand their motives (keeping Mormon youth busy, which I don't agree with), but that doesn't change the end result, which is preservation.

Just like a broken clock is right twice a day, even a Cult does an occasional good thing, even if it is for ulterior motives. People put up gravestones for a reason, they want to remember their relatives. If you don't want someone photographing yours, and preserving it, then make sure that one isn't put up for you by your relatives.

Billions of Graves is used by anyone doing genealogy (although FindAGrave has many more records), of which there are more non-Mormon genealogists than there are Mormon ones, so this isn't just a Mormon thing.

Date: May 24, 2015 02:17PM

Motives have meaning.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 12:40AM

Preserving headstones that will be unreadable is one thing. But I wonder if the church is gathering names for dead-dunking in all those temples they've built? Gotta keep the worker bees busy and paying tithes.

Talked to my brother recently. We are both in our 50s and want to be cremated.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 12:49AM

Smartphone cemetery activity is for the youth. They also get baptized for the dead and enjoy funeral potatoes. Maybe they should call their religion Morbidism.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 01:00AM

No, this is not a cult at all.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 01:24AM

I'm the recipient of photos of graves of family that I did not know were part of my history. (And no, they were not Mormons nor did Mormons take the photos.)

This is a long, long tradition for families in many countries.
Also there was a tradition of taking photos of the deceased either in the coffin, or dressed up with other family members.

I'm fine with taking photos of grave markers, etc.

This has nothing to do with anyone's religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 01:25AM by SusieQ#1.

Date: May 24, 2015 02:20PM

I'm not debating the overall merits or the value of the activity to non-Mormons, BUT the OP was about a MORMON youth activity found on LDS.ORG.

For Mormons it has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with their religion.

Posted by: greengooblygook ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:56PM

It has become a church class activity for the youth now. Sounds like a creepy date idea too

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 12:47AM

greengooblygook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It has become a church class activity for the
> youth now. Sounds like a creepy date idea too

Yes. But that is only a small % of people who do that kind of work in the Genealogy Field which is huge. I don't care who does it, it needs to be done. That's my point and my view.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 01:59PM

No. I'm sorry. Weird. "Let's send teenagers out to take grave pictures!" Not historical, not crumbling. All of them! A BILLION graves. It's all busy work to get information so these same teens can do more busy work getting dead-dunked for the people under the sod (most of whom have already "had their work done."). FamilySearch.dot.org is a cover for this "activity". I'm not so weirded out that they do the BFD, because it makes no difference to the dead, but because it's a cult activity!

I'll bet they get kicked out of more than one cemetery...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:02PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they get kicked out of cemeteries since this is different than putting flags on military graves to remember what those people did to really serve the country. For Mormons, everything is about religion, as it provides busy work to keep people from thinking for themselves because free thought is dangerous and leads to apostacy.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:06PM

Who knows! Maybe it'll be a news headline one day!!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 06:10PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 11:15AM

I'm getting cremated, and having the ashes disposed of properly.

Take a photo of that, LDS youth! :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.