Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 04:29PM

"So what is Talley's secret to a very long and healthy life? Last month she told WXYZ-TV she drinks coffee every day with sugar and no cream. "
https://gma.yahoo.com/worlds-oldest-person-celebrates-116th-birthday-michigan-183823410--abc-news-wellness.html

Makes a Mormon wonder if Satan is keeping her alive and demoniacally possessing her to get quotes like the above one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 04:29PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 04:35PM

The benefits of coffee continue to be shown both anecdotally and scientifically. It's good for you. The 1800's "health" crazes (where horny Joe got his WoW from) missed the boat on coffee.
And moderate wine drinking.
And lots of other things.

Date: May 24, 2015 12:16PM

Not to mention sexual exploration of yourself isn't a sin.

Edit for context. Those health crazes including the belief that masturbation was self abuse of your health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 12:17PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:27PM

Did I miss something, or did the WoW miss the very basic "when in doubt, boil water"?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:35PM

Bing bing bing bing bing

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:41PM

this just in:
fewer incidences of (reported) ED among coffee drinkers...

theory: non-ED men were 'too busy' to report to researchers...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/05/21/drinking-coffee-may-help-prevent-erectile-dysfunction-study-says/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 05:45PM by GNPE.

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:30AM

I'm reading this post, drinking coffee and have a massive boner. I could not agree more....

Posted by: aquarius ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 04:48AM

Was,,,was going to say something smarta$$.

Fail, you beat me to the punch.

Edit: spellun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 04:49AM by aquarius.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 12:04PM

Speaking of which, where is our BYUBoner today? Have I missed seeing him?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 12:21PM

Doxi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speaking of which, where is our BYUBoner today?
> Have I missed seeing him?

Drinking coffee :)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 01:41PM

"Is that a Trenta in your hand, or are you just happy to see me?"

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/653/-trenta-means-more-refreshment

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:00PM

Nineteenth century ideas should have died in the nineteenth century.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:21PM

Relax, we'll always have tobacco, my dear...

Date: May 26, 2015 12:29PM

Humans have a problem with learning from their written histories.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:43PM

You might want to get your health advice from someone with credentials in health. Smith didn't have any.

Date: May 27, 2015 12:15PM

Eric3 Wrote:
> Smith didn't
> have any.

What credentials did he have for anything?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 12:50PM

Despite the content of the various messages ("coffee is bad"..."[male] masturbation is bad" BUT "[female] 'masturbation,' IF performed by a doctor, is GOOD..."wine is not good"...)...

...that era---referred to in this thread as the era of the "health crazes" (late 1800s through 1920s for sure...possibly up to at least WWII times in the USA)---was IMMENSELY important for the information we possess today which allows us to avoid different kinds of cancers...keep our teeth until we die...look at least a couple to a few decades "younger" than was thought "normal" decades ago (1920s/1930s for sure---look at films from that era and see thirty-year-old men/women looking like fifties or sixties now).

That era, and those pioneers, REGARDLESS of the fact that they were frequently wrong in their specifics, were the beginning of realizing that there IS a connection between what we eat/do not eat...or are exposed to (second-hand smoke...chemicals and pesticides like DDT---which eventually killed my Grandpa...too much sun, starting in infancy...talcum powder).

Before those pioneers, people assumed that EVERYONE started looking like they were elderly during their early thirties...that cancer was either bad luck, or God punishing you for something you had or had not done...and that strokes, heart disease, diabetes, many kinds of birth anomalies, etc., etc., etc. were simply a regrettable bad hand that had been randomly dealt to the affected people.

It was those "health crazes" who made the CONNECTION between what you do, or do not, take in or are exposed to and the diseases and disorders which were considered normal during those earlier times BUT ARE "NORMAL" NO MORE!!!

Yeah...they got specifics wrong back then, but very quickly (as human progress goes) they keep getting things "righter" and "righter."

There used to be a common American folk saying that a woman lost a tooth for every child she bore---and (more often than not) that USED to be true! It is true no longer, because of prenatal nutrition and supplements.

We know enough now to realize that certain nutrients, in a great many specific people, can put off things like heart disease and diabetes in specific people EVEN [often] WHEN THOSE PEOPLE HAVE AN INHERITED TENDENCY TOWARDS THEM. In many cases, we can even control things like diagnosed diabetes and heart disease with diet and lifestyle changes...and, at least sometimes, even medically reverse them.

The early geographical pioneers made plenty of mistakes (Columbus never did reach the Indian subcontinent by sailing west), but without those "mistakes," we would not be in the better positions we are in today.

Same thing for the nutrition/lifestyle pioneers.

It doesn't matter HOW many mistakes they made, because what they DID (as it turns out) was make some vital connections of thought that led to the knowledge we have, and are in the process of developing, right now.

Give the health pioneers their due, because without them, everyone reading these words would be in vastly worse shape medically, and would (if you are over the age of twenty-five or so) be looking probably DECADES "worse" than is actually true.

(And again, if you don't believe me, go look at some films from the silent era, or the 1930s-1940s...and then look up those particular actors and see when they were born, and calculate how old they were when they acted in that film. Do this a few times, and you will totally understand what I am writing here.)

Give the health pioneers their due.

They deserve it more than you probably will ever appreciate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 02:50PM by tevai.

Date: May 27, 2015 02:38PM

We just expand our skins to push out those starting at 30 wrinkles nowadays.

But point taken. Health crazes were a symptom of people becoming more health conscious. But for the life of me, I can't see how Mormonism's WoW is much benefit other than preventing excesses of alcohol and preventing smoking...

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 02:47PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> We just expand our skins to push out those
> starting at 30 wrinkles nowadays.

I disagree. I know (and know of) plenty of people (both genders) who appear twenty or thirty years "younger" than they chronologically are...and though some of them have had some plastic surgery (etc.), many have done it with great nutrition, proper hydration, avoiding sun damage, exercise, etc.

> But point taken. Health crazes were a symptom of
> people becoming more health conscious. But for the
> life of me, I can't see how Mormonism's WoW is
> much benefit other than preventing excesses of
> alcohol and preventing smoking...

I agree about the WoW...and I think that it often promotes aging/degenerative processes (through excess "easy" sugars...too much emphasis on grains and grain products, etc.). Like with most things, Joseph Smith & Co. took a little bit of knowledge or insight and then misunderstood, or misapplied, or perverted that smidgen of knowledge so it became useless or unrecognizable---or, too often, actually harmful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 02:48PM by tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.