Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dot ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 03:59PM

At least trying to, not getting legally married (oh but that was the same as in Nauvoo, too), but having the second "wife" live in the home and do all wife duties.

She just escaped and said it was mental, emotional, and sexual abuse. Holy hell. This isn't in the US, or the places in Canada that are polygamy hotbeds. (It is Canada, though.)

Damn, I never did like the guy, but never would have suspected this. And one of the ward's leaders (in bishopric) knew and never did anything about it.

Since I've left, I've heard several horror stories of how women are treated by mormon men - things I never knew as a mormon because, well, you just don't talk to the people who have left about why they left. And I was just doing my thing, being a good mormon, and I never had many women friends in the church - not a gossiper, I guess.

One woman growing up was molested by just about every significant male figure in her life, and they were all mormon.

Just had to share this with people who would understand!

I love being an ex-mormon, and I love that there are others who get it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 04:37PM

I'd bet real money the man in this story will/did claim to have been "inspired by the holy ghost." :(

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:01PM

I had a friend get sucked into that sort of situation when she was only 16. I was beyond shocked. She had a son from the union as well. And this was in Toronto, where you wouldn't have expected it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:19PM

What I just found out is the FLDS basically running a scam by collecting welfare because all those wives aren't legal. There must be a RICO statuate that covrs this....

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:40PM

My cousin got sucked into being in a polygamous situation outside of the Morridor. I haven't heard anything more about it in the last few years.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:44PM

This deal on having a bunch of kids with multiple women and then collecting welfare and a lot of free government handouts is one of the reason that every baby born should have it's DNA registered along with the Mothers and Father's DNA.

If you don't know the father, make a list, or there ain't any welfare for you.

Start matching up DNA and make those fathers pay "their fair share'.

Also, all convicted criminal should have their DNA taken and registered.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 02:00AM

+1

I've offered mine to the FBI, but currently their DNA tests aren't sensitive enough to comprehensively test for familial markers. When they are though, they're welcome to mine!

Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 08:26AM

ohdeargoodness Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> +1
>
> I've offered mine to the FBI, but currently their
> DNA tests aren't sensitive enough to
> comprehensively test for familial markers. When
> they are though, they're welcome to mine!

But that doesn't stop you from getting your own DNA tested and on record for yourself!

There are several companies that will do your genealogy by genetics. But, I'm partial to one because my son works there. Gene by Gene. https://www.genebygene.com/

Sadly, though, they cannot do medical genetic testing here in the states. However, there are more companies here that do. A quick google search will reveal at least 5 companies that will do genetic testing with a medical referral. Most are actually pretty affordable. AND, with the proper doctor, your insurance will cover most of the testing (I had one done, but didn't get the results myself, because of Hemochromatosis, which runs in the family).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:49PM

Many mainstream Mormon wards have polygamists in their congregations and there are others who have their own meetings in homes or small meeting halls.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 10:53PM

Someone once told me that their estimate is that the average
Utah LDS ward membership roll contains 2 polygamists.

Date: May 24, 2015 01:44AM

But this isn't Utah, which is why I'm so shocked. It's not the heart of mormon or polygamy country. Still, it is what it is. I just never thought I'd see it here, or actually know someone doing it (and they looked so normal!). I live a sheltered life ;-)

I was thinking, thank God when I had questions about the church that I investigated the "anti" instead of delving into the apologist side and believing all of that. Not that I EVER would have believed and gone for polygamy. Seems only men go for that. Wonder why (sarcasm).

Polygamy was my first big item on the shelf. When I found out that JS practiced it, and it was considered by him and the other early prophets to be essential for exaltation, I was hysterical and cried for hours - days? This was shortly before or shortly after getting married. DH had to talk me back from the edge - that edge that where we doubt the church, or express or engage with our doubts.

So glad I'm out and don't have to accept these BS teachings!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 01:45AM by dot.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 02:02AM

dot Wrote:
Seems only men go
> for that. Wonder why (sarcasm).
>

Um, if only men are going for it, whom are they marrying?

Date: May 24, 2015 05:35AM

They're willing to be one of several wives.

Date: May 24, 2015 11:43AM

I guess there are some women who do go for it, I just think that the majority of women who are practicing it anywhere in the world feel forced or pressured to do so either by men or by God. It's not a voluntary thing for women in any sense in any culture.

Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 08:38AM

dot Wrote:
> I guess there are some women who do go for it, I
> just think that the majority of women who are
> practicing it anywhere in the world feel forced
> or pressured to do so either by men or by God.
> It's not a voluntary thing for women in any sense
> in any culture.

Thing is, I was one of those women, that in my early years believed whole heartedly in polygamy. If the right person would have asked me to participate, I would have, freely. But, I had been exposed to people who believed in it, had practiced it, and thought it was a good thing.

I was also told that the way the BY, and most Mormons, practiced it was actually a corruption of a very beautiful and supportive family structure.

On the other hand, I have now seen the corruption. I now fully understand that I would never have been happy to fully 'share my man'. And I don't think I would have been able to deal well with the jealousy and other emotions that polygamy induces.

Date: May 24, 2015 03:34AM

They've been prosecuted in Sacramento CA and a few other places. Mostly, they're left alone.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 02:12PM

I know a woman who accepted the role of 2nd wife. She was in her 50's and never married. She was in the triple digit income bracket.

When she told me she was thinking of marrying this person, (he had kids and had been "divorced") I asked her if she loved him. She admitted that she did not. I then asked her why she would even consider marrying him. With out hesitating, she replied that she "needed someone who would call her fourth on the morning of the first resurrection".

After she was married (in the temple) to him, I learned she had a new "best friend". It was the guys first wife. Apparently They all got along well, attend church and social activities. The 1st wife threw a surprise BDay party for my friend at their house (my friend had just turned 65) (I was invited - that's how I found out about the full "arrangement").

I find the arrangement bizarre but not more so than the

"arrangements" in Colorado City / Hilldale.

Date: May 24, 2015 07:15PM

How did he manage to marry a second wife in the temple with the first wife still around? "Divorced" his first wife civilly, but still a duo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 07:16PM by dot.

Date: May 25, 2015 04:47AM

Polygamous wives often take turns being the legal wife or the wife who lives openly within a ward or at a job.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 03:16PM

Men are blessed with a penis. The Holy Ghost inspires it to point the way to women a man should marry. This includes many past the first one.

Some women cannot figure this out.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:05PM

Nature and evolution has made men want to fuck as many women as possible. That's what the genes "want." Women, on the other hand, have an interest and instinct in providing for and nurturing children. She looks for a dependable and faithful mate. Polygamy is an idea that attempts to satisfy both drives. It doesn't usually succeed very well, though. A rich and successful man with a true sense of fairness and justice just might be able to pull it off. Trouble is, there aren't any of those, or exceedingly few. In our current world, monogamy is best. Men need to use their forebrains, think with the right head and be good, faithful husbands. If you don't want to, just remain single and wear a rubber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 05:06PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: petalumagal ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 06:47PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 10:52PM

and not in a stable society with less warfare and violence.

I was once asked by a guy from Farmington, UT to be #3. I first I thought he was kidding but he was serious. He'd married and divorced two other women but that was only for appearance.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 11:38PM

Rationalist101, well said. Completely agree.

My comment is that why would kind, just, all-knowing, all-loving something-or-others-in-outer-space come up with this crazy creation scene? It was a very lousy plan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.