Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 06:12PM

Just kidding.

But this thread made me think of the Nightingale song:

"I heard Tal Bachman Sing"

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1588119,1588119#msg-1588119

I found it an entertaining read. I love to see that there are other people out there who are as analytical as I am. I find that most people in my life think that's a pain but hey, I could be a critic extraordinaire with my analytical propensity. A critic of what I don't know - not enough knowledge about music or art. For now I'll just keep on being critical of the Mormon Church. :)

Are many exmos too critical. Or is analytical a better word? I do prefer the latter.

It was fun to see people's take on Tal's song and great to have the songwriter himself weigh in so we got the straight goods.

Now, can someone tell me what the heck American Pie is about? Or Bird on a Wire?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 06:13PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 06:25PM

I love "Barkeley Square" (which is, of course, how it's properly pronounced <grin>). Stayed at a hotel there when I was in London one time.
No nightingales, though. Just fog...

Oh, and American Pie is about mormons. I thought everybody knew that? ;-P

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 07:29AM

You're right about the pronunciation - and, indeed, about the distinct absence of nightingales in the Square - but the song is beautiful and fragile, as is the nightingale's song.

The only time I ever heard one for real was when I first came to France - as an English assistant in the Lycée Félix Faure in Beauvais. I lived in the Lycée (built in the 19th century), up in an attic room without any double-glazing (this was the early 80s).

I was very lonely at first because I knew nobody (until I met my wife ;-), and the nightingales used to sing me off to sleep.

To ifIcouldhietokolob: I'd just like to take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate your posts.

Have a great weekend everyone

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 12:22PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 12:58PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only time I ever heard one for real was when I
> first came to France - as an English assistant in
> the Lycée Félix Faure in Beauvais. I lived in
> the Lycée (built in the 19th century), up in an
> attic room without any double-glazing (this was
> the early 80s).
>
> I was very lonely at first because I knew nobody
> (until I met my wife ;-), and the nightingales
> used to sing me off to sleep.

I was in the France-Paris mission, 1979-80. Tons of nightingales, in all the places I was assigned...except Versailles. Odd. In my self and church imposed loneliness, they were a wonderfully welcome reminder that there was a real world outside my missionary apartment and snoring companion :)

> To ifIcouldhietokolob: I'd just like to take this
> opportunity to say how much I appreciate your
> posts.

That's very kind, Tom. You've done much for ALL of us, and are more than equally appreciated!

Dis bonjour a Paris de ma part, si'l te plait :)

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 06:46PM

An analysis of 'American Pie.'

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~jdevor/links/TheMeaningOfAmericanPie.htm

My gosh, who knew. Phew!
Maybe it's truth, maybe it's not.
Ineresting though.

Bye, bye, this Utonian lie ... ;)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 07:32PM

I have the Manhattan Transfer version of that song on CD. It's a classic.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 07:53PM

I see myself as analytical, but not to a fault. In Mormonism I thought too much. So much so that I left for good. :D

But that was to my benefit, not detriment. As one former now ex-Mo bishop has remarked in his book, he used to think he thought too much as a Mormon, based on everything he was told.

Then after leaving he realized he wasn't thinking enough while he was in it. So I doubt it's being overly critical unless we need to be to talk our way out of the brain washing and indoctrination. After a lifetime in that religion, it's like having to strip away layer after layer of conditioning and beliefs. That does take some fortitude, unless one just becomes a drunk or drug addict to escape through some other means than confronting the mind control head-on.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:50PM

Nightingale,

My jazz band played I Heard a Nightingale Sing (in Berkeley Square) tonight at a restaurant gig. Funny to see it mentioned here. Playing in a couple of groups has been great fun for me.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 01:06AM

That's awesome Eric, a Jazzman. What instrument do you play?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 07:17AM

Tenor sax and clarinet

Date: May 24, 2015 03:21PM

That is a funny coincidence, Eric. You would think the chances of someone posting here about nightingales are slim to none but I do it, after another post's subject line put that song into my head, and you pop up to say you had just played it.

I can imagine that it sounded fabulous with your band. Carry on!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 12:57AM

Wow, thanks for sharing. I always sang along with this w/o knowing what it was about.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 05:41PM

"Now, can someone tell me what the heck American Pie is about?"

It's about eight minutes. :-)

Date: May 24, 2015 03:22PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:17PM

Someone asked Don McClean what the song means, and he said, "it means I don't have to work anymore."

Date: May 24, 2015 03:25PM

Thanks for all the comments, everybody. It was great to read all your nightingale experiences.

Part of the reason I chose my screen name was because I had heard that a nightingale's song was considered the most beautiful of all birds. Of course, I guess it depends on individual taste. So I had longed to hear it for many years (pre-Net when you couldn't just look it up).

I just like the sound of the name too, so rhythmic and sweet, like its song.

Who knew that other RfMers would have nightingale tales to tell!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.