Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 02:50PM

Back Story

My daughter had enough the other day in her seminary class and went off on the teacher. The lesson was about polygamy. She asked the questions about the revelation, Fanny Alger, Article of Faith 12 (he was breaking the law after all) and all the 10 years he was doing it before it was revealed. She also brought up the fact that an angel with a flaming sword threatening to kill you doesn't sound like free agency. She then promptly got up and walked out. Oh, the teacher stumbled through answers or couldn't answer them and got annoyed obviously.

Fast forward to the next day. Some crazy kid in that class is in her math class. He took it upon himself to let her know she was wrong to ask those questions. He insisted on this conversation and she told him he didn't want to because she would burst his bubble.

Needless to say this kid's head is in the sand. Says the hat thing isn't true. Didn't believe the Fanny Alger affair. She told him to go look on the website. Told her we weren't supposed to question, but pray and have faith. He said to go talk to her bishop and he would help. When he said that she was able to end the conversation when she said I don't go to a guy who asks me if I masturbate in an interview. She said his brain about exploded on the inside when she said that. But he did try to bear his testimony while she brushed him off. Kid is a loon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 02:51PM by shodanrob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 02:54PM

Good for her! You should be proud to have a child who won't take crap like what they're shoveling. :) sounds like she may have shook that dude up, he may not be able to resist the urge to Google a few things... ;)

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 03:00PM

She didn't make a dent in his thought process. He is convinced it is wrong to look and you must follow your heart and be open minded. She told him he just shot himself in the foot and explained he is the one not being opened minded. He went with the typical apologist stuff. I don't really blame him, his parents and such are the ones that have him convinced. Maybe he will look. My daughter and nephew are the ones that got me and my wife looking. I told her what to say if someone started bugging her. That's my girl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 03:01PM by shodanrob.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 05:06PM

In my opinion, you're going to have to talk to your daughter about speaking up. When she asks blistering questions of authority figures, whom she knows damn well cannot answer her plausibly, it's shooting ducks in a barrel and she knows it--except for the anxiety of defying authority, which is what causes her to walk out of the room. The audience, for whose benefit she's speaking up, have their world turned over. You've got to help her understand that the next conversations she's going to have are one-on-one with the people whom she's confused and angered. This is where the opportunity to help others really lies.

She might not feel that she's a leader, she may feel that she's simply too fed up to take the bs lying down anymore. But, by speaking up, and speaking an unpopular truth, she turns into a leader. The responsibility of a leader is to lead, not to hold the confused and ignorant in contempt. She needn't get angry or feel threatened by this kid's telling her she's wrong. He's wrong, and she knows it. You can help her learn to patiently explain to the arrogant and ignorant what the truth is. As a powerful and outspoken young woman committed to truth, she may have a long career of being opposed by the self-interested and the conventionally powerful. She's got to learn to handle it with grace, and learn how to make allies out of former enemies. That's how the leaders of political movements did it, and they changed society. She may be walking in their footprints from an early age. I think you should help her take her role more seriously.

Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 05:15PM

We JUST found out that our now 20 yo was evidently "ex'd" two years ago, because he was openly atheist and was able to explain why!

He was called by the then Bishop's counselor (a friend of the family), and a letter evidently did come his way (he was out on his own). I had understood that there was no letter, but the young adult assured me he thought nothing of it and just threw it away.

No court, that he knew of. No warnings. Just a phone call and letter. Did I say I'm a bit jealous? They can't take the time to tell me anything? I'm not worth their time to tell me I'm putting my spiritual welfare in danger? At least I'm being left alone, except for the sisternaries that my husband keeps inviting over!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 02:57PM

Your daughter sounds awesome!

I can only hope my kids are equally well informed and able to explain the problems when they make the break from the church.

Rather than simply leaving because it's boring.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 08:35PM

Tell her we're proud of her.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 08:45PM

That kid sounds like a typical morgbot. He's doing and saying
EXACTLY what he's heard at Church--repeating things unthinkingly.

Some day if he stops and thinks for himself it all might come
crashing down.

But, who knows.

Posted by: nomo_angelchaps ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 09:22PM

I have an almost 60 year old brother that never learned to think for himself. He still spews the dogma verbatim. Totally sad.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 03:53PM

I did the same until age 59. I am now a moose of a different color.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.