Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 11:53PM

He was a volunteer (missionary?) working at LDS genealogical services.

He was also the former bass player of the influential punk band New York Dolls, and a documentary was made about him titled "New York Doll"

Not sure if he was fried on drugs, or had some serious mental problems.

The documentary certainly made it look like LDS Inc exploited him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 12:54AM

I think the whole band stayed at my house near Santa Barbara, as guests of my roommate, in 1972 or 3. I saw a couple of them briefly. They mostly stayed in their rooms and went out after midnight. They looked very ill and I thought they were on heroin.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 01:28AM

Really?! Do tell more. they are a legendary band.

Date: May 21, 2015 01:44AM

Saw a few of them briefly in passing. They were white and pasty and had weird clothes. It crossed my mind that someone might overdose.

I was a vegetarian and got up at 5:30 and went for a run every day (with a couple of lifeguards.)

I was into Gram Parsons.

Date: May 22, 2015 04:43PM

Don't get it.

I went to David Bowie at the Palladium in 1972 and fell in love - even though I couldn't see a darn thing because I didn't have platform shoes on.

I loved the Tubes (now I see where they got their look.)

Sorry, but I think this music isn't very good.

Just watched a couple of videos on Lester Bangs, rock critic. (A Box Full of Rocks and a couple of interviews.) Did this music make me feel alive (Bang's criteria)? No.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 09:59PM

A friend of mine gave me the DVD - she was sure he died when he did because God wanted to save him while he was LDS - just in case he relapsed due to the renewed publicity and forsook the Church and went back to his old lifestyle. She thought it was an example of how much God loves us, that he'd call us home before we could walk away from him forever.

Pretty sad way of looking at things - but very Mormon.

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:20AM

The Dolls were a big influence on KISS and pioneers of what would become Glam. They are sort of rough to listen to in my opinion. But when your lead singer turns out to be the Buster Pointdexter, what more could you ask for?
As for Killer Kane...I saw the movie and thought it was tragic that he ended up in such bad shape. The doc did make the church look saintly for taking him in though. Even as an Apostate, I couldn't help but smile at the little old ladies that he worked with. They were just like my mother and aunts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.