Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 04:54PM

Too bad you didn't have your trusty garden hose. That lady needed a good hosing down.

Get well soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 04:54PM by madalice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 06:37PM

One word: HIPPA.

I would absolutely raise a stink about this. No stranger should be allowed access to your records, and most certainly not allowed access to YOU while you are receiving medical care.

After all you've been through with religious stalkers, this is simply unacceptable treatment.

I hope you are recovering well.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 05:04AM

A current study tends to indicate that **many** patients benefit from religion when they're ill in the hospital. If patients trust in spiritual advisors in their time of need, it takes pressure off of the expensive trained medical workers and saves money. That's a bigger concern to many in the field than saving lives these days. In fact many in the business are promoting "die with dignity" as a cost cutter as well.

I don't object to spiritual counselors for those who request them. I don't object to having the option of "dying with dignity" as a possibility for some. What bothers me is that the religious issue is becoming more difficult to avoid for those who don't want it.

The nurse I was forced to see weekly when I had radiation needled me several times about church attendance and talking to a pastor. She cited the studies and said she pushes this with all cancer patients. My sister at the Stanford Medical center is having her second stem cell transplant procedure and has asked to be excluded from these spiritual visitors this time because they only irritate her and put her in a bad mindset.

Then during my recent hospital stay, the female cleric made it very clear that she had the full support of management and staff to do her work. The nurses backed this assertion when I brought it up to them. They think it helps patients and lessens their load, but one understood my objection and said she wouldn't want someone from another belief system praying in her room if she were ill.

I just want RfMers to be aware that clerics have free access to patients in hospitals. Patients need to opt out if they don't want this "service." The woman I got struck me as a fanatic who is very passive aggressive. I think most people assume her surgery words are sincere. I think she believes her own act. But she was a VERY pushy broad who saw me as a cause. Thankfully, DH headed her off the next day when she returned after I told her to stay away.

I'm not overly impressed that music, plants, aquariums, pets and religion help many patients. If some patients love or can tolerate them, that's fine for them. These things shouldn't be mandatory for everyone.

Thank you so much for your concern. I deeply appreciate it. I'm doing well.

If I go into the hospital in the future, I'll say,"NO religious counselors!" If they cite studies, I'll say,"No religious counselors!" If they persist, I'll say,"No religious counselors!" If religion pushers still show up, I'll sound the alarm in the bathroom, press the call button, and yell out that I want them dragged away from my bedside.

Others need to do what's right for them.

Again, thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 06:57AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 10:14AM

That is such a crazy and unfortunate experience, and from the previous comments is not uncommon. Religion does tend to empower self-righteous, narcissistic, passive-aggressive people. I think really spiritual people are more intent on being close to God than on representing God to other people. Most Christians and LDS don't get that.

Get well, Cheryl. We need to stay alive...we've got to survive.

Posted by: xdman ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 10:27AM

You are right to say "many" patients. If a study has a measurable effect people cite it as if it is abesolute. Imagine that a study shows a 10% better outcome for patients visited by a cleric. That means everyone visited by a cleric will improve 10% right? No. Some outcomes were probably worse and some were probably better. Some people will be irritated and made worse by the visit. If hospitals really beleive that these programs help they should let patients know that the program is available and give them the chance to opt in. Otherwise strange non-medical staff shouldn't be allowed to visit.

I made a joke about Harry Potter characters before but I would be willing to bet that having an actor in wizarding coustume visit and talk with patients would have a similar positive effect to the clereic.

Date: May 21, 2015 10:32AM

Bozo the clown or Winnie the Pooh would also probably cheer up many patients.

I appreciated all of the Harry Potter comments in the thread yesterday. Those books and movies are always a pick me up. I've re-watched two of them while I've been recuperating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 10:46AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 02:28PM

That stupid woman is damn lucky Jerry didn't drop kick her into the next county. I don't understand why people think religion gets a pass - RUDE IS RUDE!

Date: May 21, 2015 04:36PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 02:56PM

Too much of some religion is quickly becoming a license to ignore any and all rules, laws, and common decency. The new tendency is to be as abrasive and pushy as you want and then, when called out on the offensive behavior, claim to be the victim. "I was only doing what God wants," they say in a wounded tone.

I could almost swear some other religions are taking their cue's from Mormonism?

Hats off to Jerry.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 06:38PM

I always say "Atheist."

That isn't true, just for the record. I'm a Presbyterian. A visit from our pastor would always be welcome, and he knows this. I have explained to him that I just don't want to be bothered by religious vagabonds, and I have told him a bit about the horribly intrusive behavior of Mormons. He was shocked.

So the pastor and other people from our congregation know they are welcome, but "atheist" tends to keep the rabble out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.