Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 09:04AM

I was at a Vietnamese restaurant yesterday and the owner was being ganged up on my 3 guys selling security systems. An older guy (mid 30's) and two younger guys and the younger guys looked and acted like mishies...and they were all wearing VIVINT caps...go figure.

Ron Burr

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:36PM

Mormons in MLMs treat them as if they were missions, with the same sort of "zeal," and expect "blessings" the more zealous they are.

When in reality, they're just as annoying as actual mishies.

Sigh.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 02:29PM

The morg church's business model is the inspiration for many morridor businesses. Witness all the MLMs and companies like Vivint built on high pressure sales by fresh faced, arrogant, pushy mishies.

Date: May 20, 2015 07:30PM

No door to door visits from them out here at the farm...yet. I'd love to give them a fight if they showed up. We already have a security system that is better than what they offer and I own mine. The spiel I heard them using on the restaurant owner was the "it's free, you just pay the monitoring fee". Fucking pirates!

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 07:52PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 08:12PM

I was doing some research on them after hearing about them here. Sounds like people are pretty unhappy with them. Pressure door to door sales. Old people misunderstanding the pitch of it being free. Monthly monitoring charges well above competitors rates. Five year contracts after being told they were only for three. Billing tactics of double charging, partial refunds, more charges, more refunds, until it becomes confusing as to what is really owed, usually with the end calculation overcharging the client in the long run. Nobody showing up when alarms go off because there aren’t enough clients to actually hire a security company to respond. Paying fire departments for false alarms. Equipment malfunctions.

Sounds like a consumers nightmare. Too many complaints to list, actually. It turns out that’s what the boys across the street from me are doing (thanks madalice for the tip), and yes, they are all RM’s. But, they will only be here for a month, so I’ve held off getting heavy about the parking issues. It’s temporary, so I’ll just be patient. It’s better than inviting hostility by taking them to task over it if they’re only here temporarily.

I don’t suspect they’ll sell much in this economy though, but maybe. Most people that wanted systems got them years ago, I think, back when home security first became popular. Anyone that doesn’t have one already probably doesn’t care. Someone sure capitalized on the skills RM's learn, that's for sure. They even get together for a little pep rally before they go out everyday. Ra ra ra, sell, sell, sell!

Date: May 20, 2015 08:44PM

I bought our system (GE Simon) after a break. I pay C$15/month for monitoring, and I own my equipment. The dealer does not sell door to door or use telemarketers. His superior service sells itself.

Ron Burr

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 08:57PM

See, $15/mo. is reasonable. Vivint charges up to $69.99 a month. That's one of the major complaints. Yes, people should do their research first.

I'm just old school. Fire alarms, good locks, and a bat under my bed. I've never been broken into. But then again, I don't look very rich either.

Once someone at another home I lived in broke into my car, but there was nothing to take. They did, however, drop an ipod shuffle on the ground beneath my car door. So, that made up for repairing the window that I got from a wrecker for $10 and replaced myself.

That was the first ipod I ever owned, so that guy kind of goofed in my favor!

Date: May 20, 2015 10:37PM

Living 10 miles from the nearest of 3 fire or police stations, at least they get called if there is a break in or a fire.

RB

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 09:32PM

the only way out of a Vivint contract is to die..

I'm serious

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 09:40PM

My work associate had a son in Russia..Vladivostok or something

Kid is brilliant...DL/ZL/ and AP to the pres and super

missionary...this kid was General Authority material.........

came home and promptly left the Church in the dust!

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 11:26PM

A mormon guy I knew asked me if I wanted to go to Denver selling for them. I kept telling him no and he kept pressuring me. I refused still. I didn't want a job that was 100% commission. And I didn't want to annoy people door to door.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 11:36PM

I got the cold shoulder big time from someone who was bragging about a returned mishie family member who was off to the Southern States slaving all summer for this company. I mentioned that I had heard that there were substantiated info that this company was not on the up and up.

But, no, this family member was a "returned mormon mishie" and he would know if this was the case.

So, I shut my mouth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.