Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eria ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:04PM

One of the post popular justifications for polygyny in the early church we've all heard is 'because God commanded it [through His prophets] and then commanded it to stop' and that God commanded polygyny both in ancient times and in the times of the early LDS church. So is it possible that at some point in the future, a prophet of the church may say it's been revealed to him that they are to practice polygamy again? Obviously they'd have to be careful how they worded it because of the law. If so, how would they do it and when do you thing they would?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:13PM

eria Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'because God commanded it and then commanded it
> to stop'

But there is no command to stop.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:31PM

^^Exactly, Elder Berry. I challenge (and mormons like that word) any TBM to show me the revelation where multi-marriage is disavowed thus-saith-the-Lord-ly.

Most mormons believe that there WAS a revelation, but, ya know what...it was a manifesto. Over time and spin meisters apologetics, it has *become* a revelation. JS and BY never had a manifesto! They didn't need no steenking manifestos!!

Actually, Manifesto sounds like a fabulous name for a gay bar--who's with me?

And speaking of that, once again I say that if gay marriage becomes the federal law of the land, then logically polygamy should be just fine, legally, so D&C 132 should be good to go.

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 09:56PM

Why would gay marriage make polygamy okay? Are you one of the crowd that thinks it would make bestiality okay too?

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:29PM

When Uchtdorf becomes prophet. Women will flock to be with him an d his elderly good looks

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:45PM

shodanrob Wrote:
> When Uchtdorf becomes prophet.

When he becomes dead they will be able to do it anyway.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:52PM

Simple answer: NO. Besides, it's illegal in most parts of the world.
It's now considered a law of highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom in their teachings.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:54PM

Why would they? They are embarrassed by that part if the church's history and would prefer that it was forgotten. The current church leaders themselves do not even know why it was practiced, other than "the lord commanded it but then stopped it."

It's a global religion now and the church could let members practice polygamy in countries where it's not against the law if they really wanted to but they don't.

Unless some crackpot apostle becomes prophet and he truly believes God is telling him to restart polygamy, and somehow he's able to convince the rest of the apostles to approve, I don't see the church ever reinstating it.

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:58PM

No. Everything is postponed until the millennium.

Then all the wicked non tithe payers will have been incinerated and anything left that is female with a pulse will be married off to the elect priesthood to have babies for eternity.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:47PM

God never commanded it, because he isn't real. Joe Smith was just a horny pervert.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:59PM

Don't additional wives help exalt a man's chances for godhood in the CK? I.e., "pad his spiritual resume?" So (theoretically, of course) those men in the 19th and early 20th Century, along with Mexican expatriates, have better chances of achieving godhood, since they practiced polygamy?

All the better to populate their own planet(s) or section of the universe.

If what I'm saying is taken to its logical conclusion, one can help exalt a departed "saint" by posthumously marrying him to available (dead) women.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 07:05PM

We all know that God never commanded it in the first place, but TBM's often like to cite Abraham in defence of Joseph Smith, arguing that God commanded Abraham to practice Polygamy - unfortunately they are wrong, there is no record of God commanding polygamy.

On the contrary, the only 'marriage' clearly and unarguably put in place by God was that of Adam and Eve. Bearing in mind that Latter-Day Saints argue that this was the first restoration and Adam had everything taught to him, it might have made more sense if Adam and Eve were actually Adam, Eve, Jill, Lisa, Joan, Ann, Penelope, and Keisha.

The only clear, obvious, and unquestionable relationship in the bible established by God (or so the claim goes) is actually a monogamous one, and Adam did not engage in Polygamy.

On that basis alone i think it is easy to call BS on the polygamy claims.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 09:10PM

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 05:19PM

Abraham probably never existed! This is the mainstream opinion of scholars today.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 09:37PM

Polygamy is practiced openly in Utah. No kidding. If it's illegal please someone tell me where the authorities are. Go to any Costco on a Saturday.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 10:54PM

Which "god" are you talking about?

Lets be perfectly clear about the issue of polygamy, instead of being MORmON clear about it.

The god of the bible NEVER, NEVER, NEVER at any time commanded that polygamy be instituted. Polygamy came about as an outgrowth of various social situations and it was noted as having occurred. THAT does NOT mean that god commanded it or that God even advocated it in any of those instances. IF a person follows along, the outcomes of polygamy, even in the most seemingly innocent of applications, it always ends up delivering bad consequences. In the more egregious instances of raw personal indulgence it quickly tapers off into outright decadence and becomes a fast track to disaster.

The biblical God NEVER commanded that polygamy be practiced/ instituted. It took a PERVERT like Joseph Smith to inSINuate that such a thing had happened.

Lets be perfectly clear about something else. Joseph Smith's god, the god that told Joe Smith to start a wife collection / personal harem, is MORmON Jesus, who is really Joe Smith's penis, which is NOT necessarily the same as the god of the bible, In spite of all of the MORmON insistence that MORmON Jesus and the new testament Jesus are exactly the same.

MORmON Jesus is a Dumb Ass, just like his MORmON followers.
On the surface, MORmON Jesus ordering Joe to practice polygamy and then having polygamy being a major pivotal reason that Joe ended up being killed might seem like a good thing, but that outcome was not really in harmony with the supposed ideal of promoting the growth and spread of the MORmON gospel.

MORmON Jesus is the god who ordered the practice of polygamy. When dealing with a god who is that stupid, there is no telling what they might do. For an idea of that, just look at the crazy stuff that Warren Jeffs is currently telling his followers to do in the name of their MORmON Jesus god.

Bruce McConkie stated in his book "MORmON doctrine" ( first edition) that polygamy would be re instituted before the millennial reign of MORmON Jesus. But that is just the opinion of a self infatuated MORmON ASSpostHOLE. It is comical that Joe Smith threatened his original Wife Emma with death / destruction IF she did not accept Joe's polygamy, but it was Joe that ended up being killed over the matter. So much for MORmON'S opinions on how polygamy is supposed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiEwZr7vno

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:08PM

This is also what I was told; that when Armageddon starts, that is when 7 women will cling to 1 righteous man, so polygamy will become sanctified again. I also heard that all rites, gospel principles (i.e. animal sacrifice) will have to happen again. Judah will once again start performing animal sacrifices, polygamy will be sanctified. This all has to take place before the Millennium.

this was/is just one interpretation from JOD talks and speculations from Hugh Nibley types, so I don't want to reference any of them. Mostly because the JOD talks and the D&C scriptures clearly states that "Polygamy is a commandment" and "Man cannot get into the CK unless he is polygamous" Check out D&C 131. or one of Brigham Young's talks: http://journalofdiscourses.com/3/39

There are many more, until the 1910 2nd manifesto.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 11:35AM

Let's assume, for argument's sake (either as allegory or history, take your pick), that the Garden of Eden represents the perfect, idyllic state for Mankind: perfect fellowship with God, harmony with nature, and man and woman in a state of equilibrium and complete happiness. Ended, of course, by the element of disobedience (key word here) and the introduction of sin.

If Eden was the ideal, then why did God give Adam just one spouse? Wouldn't He have given the man a few more?

Biblical polygamy was actually the result of disobedience to God, who told Abraham to "walk in faith" to Him. Part of that faith was to believe God's promise that he would have heirs and numerous descendants. It was Abraham's failure to "keep the faith" and hold to that promise that lead Sarai and him to take on Hagar as a surrogate heir-bearer. The irony is that JS said he had to be "obedient" to the angel with the flaming sword and "restore" polygamy!

If humanity and the world are to be "made right" in the Millenium and "restored" to God's original design, then Mormons are in for a big, nasty surprise if they expect polygamy to be similarly restored.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 06:42PM

you make some excellent points. and you show how MORmONISM rapes the language for its benefit...... just like Joe Smith on his latest teen age bride. How ever, I can tell you that FLDS say that Adam did have more than one wife as a way to defend their deal. (not that their saying it, or saying anything else, means that they are correct)

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:08PM

Polygamy is stupid. Where are all the extra women supposed to come from? If a man must have two wives to get to the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom, then half the righteous men have no chance of getting there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 11:14PM by Heretic 2.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:43PM

Who ever said that Mormonism was supposed to make sense. It's all based on "faith" (whatever the hell that is) and not on logic.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 10:30PM

What do you mean by God commanding polygamy?
Polygamy and its attending misery is a devils commandment.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:03AM

I think most Mormons, at least when I attended, will quietly admit to other Mormons that they think polygamy will be re-instituted sometime after Jesus finally get's around to returning from the dead. This may even been doctrine of the church, or at least was doctrinal until fairly recently. In reality, I don't see polygamy ever making a return to mainstream Mormonism, and I even recall conference talks where church leadership went out of their way to state that the church would not be reinstating it, even if it becomes legal again. In practical terms, polygamy was always more trouble than it was worth to the church itself, and only stayed around, because the dirty old men enjoyed sexing lots of females without being judged by the members. If they were to return the practice now, or in the future, it would be the death of the missionary program.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 02:34PM

Even the fundies don't want to legalize polygamy. They are raking in so many millions every single month from the government in welfare fraud and other programs that would come to an abrupt end if their hundreds of so-called plural "wives" they've been passing off as unwed mothers in need of financial aid suddenly become claimed by their kid's fathers. Shameless scammers.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 04:52PM

The practical answer is that as long as Moism is run by octogenarians, polygamy will not be reinstated. At that age the leaders couldn't take full advantage of the situation, and they sure wouldn't want their inferior followers to have that kind of fun when they can't. Put some younger fanatics in charge and then maybe it will happen.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 06:30PM

Of course. It is the "new and everlasting" covenant. Although, "everlasting" has a different meaning obviously to tbm's now than what horny Joe tried to convey.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 06:34PM

Uh, hello... "The Principle" was never taken from the earth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1886_Revelation

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 10:03PM

If the god of Mormonism does bring back polygamy soon, the first thing I hope he commands is for Laura Hales to leave her husband and marry one of the old fart apostles. Let's see if Brian can deal with that.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 24, 2015 08:00PM

eria Wrote:
> and that God commanded polygyny both in
> ancient times and in the times of the early LDS
> church.

Please point out where, in the Bible, (REAL ancient documents)
God commands polygyny? There are cases of people practicing
polygyny, but where does God command it?

For Abraham, for example, it's Sarah who suggest Abraham take up
with Hagar, not God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.