Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: greatstanding ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 05:07PM

I read the exactly obedient diatribe on the closed thread earlier today. I poked around the California Fresno mission blog, and saw this:
http://fresnomission.blogspot.com/2015/04/april-fools.html

Jeff Clark must have not forsaken his "natural man" taste in cars when he accepted the mission call. I can't tell from the pictures, but the car is at least a 5- or 7- series BMW.

I guess BMWs are now considered necessary living expenses by Churchco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 05:56PM

It used to be that the Church supplied the mission president's car. At least, that's how it was 24 years ago when I served.

As I served in the California Fresno Mission, my mission president drove a Honda Accord supplied by the Church. Later, he was given a Toyota Camry.

I have to wonder now if the Church has decided to supply "upscale" cars to its leaders. Yikes!

Posted by: greatstanding ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 06:13PM

My mission president drove a Pontiac Bonneville from 1992-1994 in the southwest USA.

I'm sure cruising down Interstate 10 would have been more comfortable in the BMW.

Posted by: there ya go ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 06:52PM

Neil maxwell drove a Chevy lumina...his Mercedes stayed at home garaged or at his midway condo while he was apostling
True

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 06:59PM

He needs a faster car in the race to jockey for position to GA level...
Get out of the way, Humble servant of the Lord on board.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 07:08PM

Ain't he rich anyway?

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 07:45PM

"BMWs are endless money pits" - Scotty Kilmer

"Cocks drive BMWs" - Jeremy Clarkson

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 08:26PM

He said it stood for Bob Marley & the Wailers = BMW

Naturally though, he was very down to earth.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 08:34PM

He'd better watch where he parks it in Fresno. I've been there, and I wouldn't leave a Yugo unattended.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 10:20PM

That's a 7-series, and judging by the front bumper and wheels, an M Sport. Base price, if it has the smaller inline-6 engine, is $78,950.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 11:14PM

$78k sticker price??

Some how being "modest" in ones appearance only applies to women and their choice in clothing.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 11:24PM

Thanks for that great link.... to a great web site. I submitted a comment for the comment section on that web site, but it won't post. They must screen (censor) comments on their site.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 09, 2015 12:42PM

MPs can bring their own cars too. The COB frowns on anything that could be considered too ostentatious for the area. For example... my friend's (he was the mission 'car czar' or vehicle coordinator) MP was told to leave the Ferrari at home but it was okay to bring his wife's Cadillac (to Billings, Montana) in the late 1980s to '90 or so.

So in Fresno, bringing his own personal BMW would not be seen as ostentatious and therefore would be acceptable.

Posted by: commonsense ( )
Date: May 09, 2015 04:10PM

The rumor that I heard is that JD Clark made $40 Million when he sold his business, JD Clark, a few years ago. Another source indicated that JD was not too excited about being called as a MP. I have also heard that JD has 50+ cars. The BMW seen in the blog is most likely a car that JD bought. Before he was called as a MP, he also had a $5-$10M private jet.

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: May 09, 2015 04:52PM

I bet the missionaries view a BMW as proof of the blessings of obedience.

The 5 series are reserved for the less obedient.

My MP drove his own fancy Audi, he had those leather racing gloves too. And shades!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.