Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fakeempire ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 04:31PM

shopping with her mom Lois at Cactus & Tropicals in Sugarhouse. Did she have a baby? She was holding a baby girl who looked to be 6-8 months old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 04:38PM

Congrats to you I guess. For seeing what's her name that is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 04:38PM by shodanrob.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 04:41PM

I heard her on radio a couple months ago but tuned in late, so didn't know it was her at first; I swear I thought she was from a foreign country because her accent was so....weird.

Where in Utah is she from?!

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 04:59PM

A mix of two countrys' accents/languages can yield unusual results sometimes.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:03PM

I have never heard that she had a baby, so this is news to me. She is quite high profile, too, as she speaks at events regarding child safety and missing children.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:10PM

Not sure, but this article from a year ago says they weren't planning on starting a family yet:

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20815311,00.html

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:13PM

An article in People Magazine dated a year ago stated she wanted to start a family, but inferred she was not pregnant at the time of the interview.

If you saw her with a 6-8 month infant, it seems the timing would be "off".

In any case, if she gave birth to a baby, I would think the press would be all over the story -- or an adoption.

Oops, someone beat me to the punch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 05:13PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:13PM

In her human trafficking speech, she mentioned the church crap about her primary value was her virtue... After being abducted and raped, she wondered why she should go back, she didn't have any value anymore. Heart wrenching. Thanks, LDS Inc.

Did she meet her Scottish? Irish? husband at school? Her family has very strong Utah accents...

I'm glad she lived, and is willing to speak out and help other people, when she could very well not ever speak of her trauma, justifiably so.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:20PM

No, she met him while on a mission in France.

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:34PM

I would think if she did have a baby, she'd do everything in her power not to let that out to the press.

Why tempt fate?

She wants to keep a low profile. She didn't ask to be thrust into the limelight. Her children's privacy I imagine she'd guard with her life.

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 09:12PM

I can't tell you how I know Ms. Smart, but can assure you that the child is hers.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:10PM

well good! Congratulations to her and her hubby!

The Elizabeth Smart story reminds me of how far the world has come. (the real world, not the mormon world...)

In 1955 Herman Wouk wrote a very good read, Marjorie Morningstar, which was later made into a movie. Marjorie wanted to be an actress and when she finished college, she started going to auditions. She fell in with a 'fast crowd' and eventually had a couple of affairs. She finally gave up on her dream and returned to Long Island, and into the 'normal' social scene. She met an accountant and they began dating and eventually he proposed to her.

Before answering the question, she confessed to him that she was not a virgin. He was stunned and there was a pause. But then he said, (paraphrasing) "It's okay, I'll marry you anyway..." But she could tell that it had effected him.

The narrator visits her years later, at her posh Long Island house and Marjorie has become her mother, acting nothing like the budding actress he'd known years and years earlier.

I've never forgotten that scene... "I'll marry you anyway..."
It pretty much describes the absurdity that was Victorian sexuality.

I was acquainted with a woman who told this story about herself: she met her husband when he was 22 and she was 16. The age of consent in their state was 18. They did EVERYTHING you can imagine sexually except he would not insert tab A into Slot A-1,or Slot A-2. By the time she reached 17-1/2, my acquaintance was far more sexual than Marjorie, but Marjorie was technically used goods, while my acquaintance would have passed technical muster with Queen Victoria.

The physical act of sex, Tab A into Slot A, only means what you want it to mean. It can be as impersonal as shaking hands or as meaningful as a covenant. Elizabeth Smart's tormentor took nothing from her; virtue, if it exists, can't be taken, it can only be given. And the fact that Spencer W. Kimball couldn't see that is an indictment of his total disconnection from goodness and honesty. If there were a ghawd, he could share a cab with Spencer and Spencer wouldn't recognize ghawd.

Religion's involvement with the vagina is a pure horror.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:56PM

I read "Marjorie Morningstar" many years ago. The ending of the book broke my heart. And yes, the bit about "I'll marry you anyway", is so awful.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 09:51PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 09:58PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Me too. I hope she got some good counseling after her

horrid experience but I have a feeling she didn't.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:02PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish her the best

And I wish her the best as well...

...she can have no idea how often I do wish her all good things...and a satisfying, happy life for her and for everyone she loves.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:50PM

Is she living in Scotland or in the U.S.? How nice that she has a baby now.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:16PM

I cannot tell you my connection to Elizabeth Smart, but I can assure you that the baby is hers and her husband's.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:18PM

I cannot tell you my connection to Elizabeth Smart, but can assure you the baby is her's and her husband's and is not adopted.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:22PM

Can you speak to the issue of her devotion to la iglesia mormona?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:25PM

45 years ago (or thereabouts), I saw Maxwell Smart.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:28PM

Can you speak to the issue of his devotion to Barbara Feldman?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:35PM

Sadly, no. Those types of things were unknown to me at that tender age. But it was a lot of fun playing on the Get Smart sound stage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.