Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AlexisAnne ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 02:49AM

Once a home teacher and his young companion tried to set up a Sacrament Meeting in my family's living room. They didn't even bring bread fir the sacrament, and had the nerve to complain that we only had wheat bread in the house. it didn't matter. my mom offered to make sandwiches for them, which they declined, but siad we'd already gone to mass and were not having another church service that day in our home or anywhere else. the home teacher and his 14-year-old sidekick left in a huff. This was in a northern CA community where the concentration of Saints per capita was considerably higher than it was and is in most parts of CA. It wasn't in Fairfield but not far away.

Note: I'm not logged in because I cannot find my password. I read frequently but seldom post. I'm a bit sensitive, and a few posters hurt my feelings in the past with what I considered to be insensitive replies. perhaps I was merely taking things too personally, though.

I could use some help from some of you if you are willing. I understand many of you have neither the time nor the inclination to help either me or anyone like me. If you wish not to offer any assistance to me, I would sincerely appreciate it if you would simply decline to offer assistance rather than taking shots at me personally, which happened once before a few years ago when i asked for help with something. I'm still recovering from the sting of some of those insults, and it's taken me considerable time to garner the nerve to ask for something again.

I'm a 20-year-old first-year medical school student. Most of my time is spent in studying. I play piano and violin for sanity, but I need another creative outlet for the hours after studying when I can't sleep. Playing an instrument during those hours would be rude both to my brother who shares a condo with me and to the neighbor who shares a common wall. I've decided to take up writing, as in fiction. I've been told that it's best to write about what one knows about. I don't want to write about medical school because I need a diversion from medical school; writing about my studies and encounters there would at this point be somewhat counterproductive in that regard. instead, what I've written thus far has been against a backdrop of Mormonism, as it's what I know. "Write what you know," is what my writing instructors always said.

I need advice in many areas. Anyone who wishes to help me in this regard could either do so here.

I'm the niece of SCMD. He's shared a few of my posts before.

Again, help me if you're so inclined, but ignore me otherwise. I really appreciate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 02:15PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 04:12AM

Hi, how about an electronic keyboard you can use with headphones? You could even compose music...

There are writing groups (many through public libraries) where you can receive feedback.

Write what you want to, then take it to a writing teacher for review and comments/positive feedback... or submit it to a magazine or publisher (there are simple ways to protect your work).

Good luck with school!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:49AM

I like the idea of an electronic keyboard with headphones. Noodling around on the keyboard kept me amused for quite a while.

You might try reading Latayne Colvett Scott's "Latter-day Cipher." It's a novel themed around Mormonism. She's exmo.

Date: May 06, 2015 07:33PM

Thanks! I'll order the book.
summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the idea of an electronic keyboard with
> headphones. Noodling around on the keyboard kept
> me amused for quite a while.
>
> You might try reading Latayne Colvett Scott's
> "Latter-day Cipher." It's a novel themed around
> Mormonism. She's exmo.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 05:22AM

Being 20 isn't easy for anybody. Everything seems so serious and you want so much to make sense of the world. Then you throw some uber-serious home teachers into the mix. It's a bit much.

School takes a lot of time. You're in the business of turning time into gold, but you don't get the gold until later. But anyway, the only help I can offer is to suggest that you study Philip Zimbardo's work on balancing time perspectives. It'll probably give you the most bang for your buck. It takes the right mix to get the most life satisfaction.

As for the rough treatment here, some do like to play rough. They get triggered and then try to project the pain they're re-living onto you so you'll understand how they feel. The hurt they put on you doesn't register because they're so used to it. They just want catharsis. The flip side is your reaction. You can either take it, fight it, or push it away. If you take it, you advance in your mastery of your ego. Hurt just means there is still ego to overcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 05:29AM by bradley.

Posted by: alexisanne ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:35PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by: optional2(notloggedin) ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 06:36AM

For diversion or insomnia, I like listening to audio books or old time radio (mp3files) shows with headphones on a tablet.
Like Librivox app or their website.
Like your writing! ;o)

Posted by: A ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:40PM

Great idea! thanks

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 08:58AM

Be sure you're getting plenty of exercise and a healthy diet.

Posted by: Alexisanne ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:37PM

I'm a runner, but i just got a cast off my foot nine days ago and cannot run until next week. i'm anxiously awaiting the first day I can run again.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 08:29PM

Yoga, honey. Yoga.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 09:38AM

My solution is to take my camera,Canon T5i, and go be creative for a while. I have a methodology for creating images, not snapshooting, that literally removes me from the present and into the open receptive mind that excludes everything but the project at hand and therefore I can escape from harsh reality into peaceful imagery.

Posted by: alexisanne ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:38PM

I've never really been into photography, but it might be fin.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:19PM

I am not sure exactly what exactly you are asking for help for?
Story ideas? other activities to do? tips on writing?

If it is story ideas, pick a minor character from the BOM and then write the BOM story from the minor character's perspective. Something like "the Red Tent."
Or do the plot idea that "Lamb" did and make up a character that was best friends of Joseph Smith, but that we never heard of. Tell the life of Joseph Smith from this person's perspective, have JS really be the prophet but include the tar and feathering, the gold digging, all of the polygamy, etc.

Other activities: try Geocaching. You can do it at night, in the daytime, there are puzzles to solve, you can get exercise by hiking. It is a lot of fun and you might meet new people.

Writing tips. Try editing and rewriting old things you wrote. Make them polished and better.
Good luck,

Posted by: Alexisanne ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:39PM

Interesting ideas! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 12:38PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 03:37PM

Hey, I'm a writer too. When I started out, I read everything I could get my hands on. Here's some of my favorites:

Ron Carlson Writes a Story, Ron Carlson
Negotiating with the Dead, Margaret Atwood
How to Write a Novel, Oakley Hall
From Where We Dream, Robert Olen Butler
Triggering Town, Richard Hugo
Reading Like a Writer, Francine Prose

Also, Ursula K LeGuinn has a craft book with exercises, but I can't remember the title just now.

If you're serious about fiction, write everyday, even if it's only 5 minutes.

And write what you know means writing with emotional honesty. Your characters can (and should) have experienced you've never lived, but their emotional reality must be true--and that's where writing what you know can help.

Then again, my professors in my MFA like to chuck that advice, and often do. The only rule in writing fiction is: if it works, it works.

Don't forget to read great literature. Reading feeds your writing.

I wish you luck!

molly

Date: May 06, 2015 07:40PM

Thanks for the ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 12:38PM by Susan I/S.

Date: May 06, 2015 07:44PM

I tried to respond to all of you who offered ideas, but the spam filter got in the way of some responses. thanks so much to all of you who offered advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 08:21PM

You can approach writing two ways - one, just as an exercise to get your thoughts and feelings out. Then you can write freely and not worry about feedback. If you want to write for publication, study up on how to write. I've worked as a freelance editor for years and there are some people with a lot of natural talent but they still need to grasp some basic writing/publishing concepts in order to sell. It's easy enough to learn and will make a huge difference if you are hoping to be published, even online.

Second, in order to be a writer, you have to have a really thick skin. You can't let other peoples' comments bother you because pretty much everyone is going to tear your work apart. Some feedback will be helpful - my most critical editor when I worked on a newspaper was also my greatest teacher. I really learned to write well under her but she wasn't nice about it. However, her criticisms were valid so I learned to do better. You also have to learn the difference between helpful criticism and when even the most experienced editor is wrong and your work is GOOD. You know Stephen King? His book "Carrie" was rejected multiple times and he finally threw the manuscript away. His wife dug it out of the trash and sent it to one more publisher who sent him an advance of more than King's annual salary at the time. He got his first book published and became successful. If you feel something you write is good, fight for it and don't let naysayers get you down. I just wanted to give you that little pep talk because you mentioned you get your feelings hurt easily and publishing can be very discouraging so believe in yourself, take what criticism is helpful and don't let anyone define what you write. Believe in your work and you will go far.

Finally, I like the ideas of photography and getting a keyboard others have said. Do you like painting? That's quiet. I took up gardening (herbs) and find that a lot of fun. Cooking is also fun. Knitting is popular nowadays and very relaxing. Do you like being in front of people? An acquaintance of mine is a storyteller. It's actually something you can take classes in. She dresses up like a gypsy and makes quite a production of it, with just the right theatrical intonations, and goes to libraries to tell stories to kids. She's also gotten other gigs, like telling stories at a Girl Scout camp. She's got the stories memorized and is like an actress, but without the obligations of joining a theater group. She can book according to her schedule. There are always dance classes. It's OK to dabble in a lot of things and see what "hits." Also, think about your friends and family. Do any of them have a talent you envy or admire? You could probably learn to do that too. My MIL embroiders these amazing quilts and I wouldn't have the patience to do that in a million years. Not everything works for everybody but if you look around at the creative things others are doing you might come upon something we've missed. Good luck and have fun experimenting. With all the studying on your plate, you deserve to have fun with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 08:24PM by CA girl.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 11:38AM

Some of your pieces are superb! I've shared The History of Proctology entry with several friends who now read your blog regularly for entertainment. That piece was so well crafted and illustrated! I laugh every time I think about it.

You are so gifted. Understanding the courage, challenges and motivations of people who have less to work with might round out your perspective both in writing and in medical practice.

Please keep writing. Love the illustrations!

Posted by: not the kind of help you wante ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 08:27PM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 08:55PM

More like this from your blog is great. Keep it coming.

"The person in question was commenting about my writing here, though, and was criticizing my sentence structure and use of vocabulary, among other things. I wonder what the person would think if he or she knew that I received the highest possibles scores on both the writing portion of the SAT and on the same section of the MCAT. I didn't bother telling the person. Such knowledge would only further solidify in the person's mind that the youth of the world are going down the tubes at a more rapid rate than he or she previously had considered possible. I did mention being in medical school. I'm sure the person hopes never to be under my care in a medical setting. He or she probably thinks I would mis-write something on a prescription pad and inadvertently kill him or her.

My detractor would actually be in a much more problematic mental state if she were taken to an emergency room where my father was on duty. He knows emergency medicine and trauma care quite thoroughly, and he can even spell, but his handwriting is so atrocious that it takes someone skilled in translating hieroglyphics to be able to understand his prescriptions. I can understand them because I've been reading his writing since i was two years old, but not all pharmacists and pharmacy techs are so well-versed in reading the writings of those who scrawl in the manner of three-year-olds."

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 11:41PM

I'm an avid fisherman, so I make lures. It is so send tying knots and getting the pattern I want. Long ago I did leather work until I sold all my tools. I might get back into it as a side gig making wallets, purses, chinks, and chaps. Gardening is great, if you got the space. I tend to go for the things that are repetitive and can take hours when I find a groove.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.