Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 11:55AM

Got the following email the other day from an irate reader, under the capitalized subject line, "FAMILY VALUES." The complainer apparently has a significant personal problem with people who are either black or brown:

"Dear Mr. Benson . . .

"First, values is an economic term and poorly conveys family 'principles.'

"Secondly, 'family is 'a group of persons consisting of parents and their children.' 'A succession of persons connected by blood, name etc.' 'Any class or group of like related things.” Hence, the GOP is exclaiming “family principles,' while Obama says the GOP’s principles should be applied beyond our borders.

"Now, what are some 'family principles?' For starters - there are rules applicable to all. (No one is above the law.) Stealing and lying should receive retribution. You have Obama saying 'keep kids and parents together.' Well, let’s see how this works out.

"The parents, knowingly breaking the law, steal entrance to this country. They bring their children. They are caught but nothing can be done because kids and parents must stay together according to Obama (do not deport children). Now, If they had robbed a bank, hid the money, were caught and incarcerated, under Obama’s “principles” the money belongs to the kids? After all, the children didn’t break the law. If incarcerated, are not the parents and children separated?

"In addition, while stealing residence in the U.S., both parents and children take, food stamps, education, health care, etc. and many take money from the U.S. Treasury. Lawless citizens and legal residents aid illegal immigrants to plunder. The IRS issues ITINs to illegal aliens who cannot legally work in this country (no Social Security number). In a 2011 study by the Treasury’s Inspector General found 2.3 million ITIN filers claimed child tax credits totaling $4.2 billion in 2010. That compares with 796,000 ITIN filers claiming $946 million in 2005. Heritage Foundation’s Robert Rector predicts that Obama’s executive order will cost U.S. taxpayers an extra $4 billion a year in Earned Income Tax Credit to provisionally legitimized aliens.

"The Christian mores now rejected by this country, replaced by Humanism, has led to the embracing of lawlessness and debauchery. Conditions will get worse."
_____

My reply:

"My opinion does not agree with your opinion, regardless of your attempt to play your religious trump card when Civics 101 facts fail you.

"Speak of which, the Treaty of Tripoli--initially negotiated beginning in March 1795 during the term of President George Washington and ultimately ratified by the U.S. Senate in Novermber 1796 during the term of President John Adams (thus making it the still-standing law of the land under the terms of the U.S. Constitution, Article II, Section 2, Clause 2), states unequivocally in Article 11 of said treaty that “the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.”

"I’ll go with the Founders on this, leaving it to you to ignore our founding document in an attempt to make your unfounded point.

"Thanks for writing."
_____

The reader's response:

"Dear. Mr. Benson:

". . . You say you don’t agree with my opinion! First I stated Webster collegiate dictionary of 'family:’ then I stated lying and stealing should receive retribution and lastly children should not profit from their parents crimes. Do you really hold Webster is wrong or lying and stealing are venal actions and children should profit from their parents’ crimes?

"Then I stated a fact about illegals gaming our tax code to pillage billions of dollars . Are you denying the statistic? Are you “good” with it?

"Why did you suggest that my knowledge about the Civic 101 facts has failed me? Before writing this, I wanted to check my memory (it is not so good at seventy six as it once was); here are just a few of my findings. (It would take tomes to catalog the majority.)

"Starting with the Mayflower Compact’s 'having undertaken for the Glory of God and advancement of the Christian faith,' we find the Revolutionary War battle cry of 'we have no king but Jesus Christ.' America’s founding document (according to presidents Madison, JQ Adams and Lincoln’s first line of the Gettysburg Address) the Christian God is the Supreme Judge, Legislature and President of the universe.

"We have the Northwest Ordinance, presidential national calls to prayer and fasting starting with President Washington and a 1898 Supreme Court finding “this is a Christian nation.”

"Now, I don’t understand why you cited the Treaty of Tripoli as 'proof' to the contrary. First, it is a flawed at best or fraud document at worst. Section 11 which you noted is NOT in the Arabic version! Can you have a treaty (contract or any written agreement where the participants copies are not the same?)

"Last, you say 'I’ll go with the Founders on this.' So you believe the Founders considered our Constitution could be amended by treaty? There has been at least four cases before the Supreme Court ro decide this issue. In one of the latest, Reid v. Covert (1956 354 U.S. 1, page 17), the Court held “No agreement with a foreign nation can confer power on the Congress or any other branch of government. There is nothing in this language (Article VI the supremacy clause) which intimates that treaties and laws enacted pursuant to them do have to comply with the provisions of the Constitution…

"'It would be manifestly contrary to the objectives of those who created the Constitution, as well as those who were responsible for the Bill of Rights, let alone alien to our entire constitutional history and tradition, to construe Article VI as permitting the United States to exercise power UNDER an international agreement, without observing constitutional prohibitions.” (See: Elliot’s Debates 1836 ed. Pages 500 -519) “In effect, such construction would permit amendment of that document in a manner not sanctioned by Article V….[and] cannot be nullified by the Executive or by the Executive and Senate combination.'

"In closing, I trust your usage of the Treaty of Tripoli was done in ignorance and not intentional deceit. The former is understandable, the latter is a tool of the Devil, who was a murder and liar from the beginning.

"Hope I didn’t bore you while setting the record straight. These last five plus years has witnesses a rapid escalation in lying/deceit."
_____

Geezus.

My reply:

"We don't agree."

(There are just some people you can't make meaningful headway with: "The Treaty of Tripoli says that?? It must be a forgery!!")

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 12:00PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:16PM

This whole "We are a Christian nation", "The Bible is the basis of our legal code", "Church should be mandatory" attitude is a bit scary. Outright calls for a theocracy would be mocked or ignored, so they're trying to slip it in through the back door (even though that's a sin).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:25PM

He was so worried about the Constitution being amended by the treaty of Tripoli...so ask him to point out where in the constitution it says the US is a Christian nation.
When he can't (and he can't, because it says no such thing), tell him once again to take another civics class. And read the 1st amendment on the way there.

Date: May 04, 2015 03:35PM

... on that but have to resort to the Mayflower Compact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 03:36PM by steve benson.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:33PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... on that but have to resort to the Mayflower
> Compact.

Oh, sure, because it's the Mayflower Compact that established the United States and our laws.

Oh, wait...:)

Date: May 04, 2015 08:27PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 08:28PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.